Will a DWI affect me from becoming an EMT

r_brown_11

Also you asked what part of medicine I am looking into and both Medical and PA school...but entrance into PA school requires hands-on patient care hours for even consideration to be accepted which is why I was looking into EMT certification...

While true that PA school requires "hands on" experience in order to be considered for acceptance, you'd be amazed at what constitutes "hands on experience". I know people who are in PA school now who volunteered in a nursery, worked as candy stripers, teched in a physical therapy setting, worked as trainers for one of their college athletic teams (something you might be able to do now), shadowed physicians and/or PAs for a summer, worked in a physician's office answering phones and taking blood pressures and more. When PA schools say they want hands on experience it doesn't necessarily mean they want you in the back of an ambulance making critical life or death decisions with regards to a patient. They're looking for exposure to health care and will take that exposure from a variety of settings.

You will have an advantage, too, in the sense that you're young and female. The trend with PA schools in recent years has been to younger and younger female students. The profession started as older men, usually former military, with an extensive clinical background. Over time, however, that's changed. Just know that there is a push out there now to recruit former members of the military into PA school. It's a new push. But it is something that you'll be dealing with when you're ready to start applying.

Like I said previously, it's great that you're taking responsibility for yourself and working to improve yourself. In the long term a DUI is probably not an insurmountable obstacle. Short term, however, it is going to throw up all sorts of road blocks. And yes. In that regard it sucks to be you. But you're on the right track to getting yourself set up now for down the road.

Good luck.

ETA: I think some of the best advice that was offered was not to lie about it. Of course, don't brag about it. But don't try to cover it up. Be honest. Don't try to hide it because they *will* find out about it and then you're screwed for lying on an application. Stress the steps you've taken since then to be a productive and less dangerous member of society.

Edited by paramedicmike

All depends on what starte your in. Getting into a program wont be the trouble, its getting a EVOC but that does not mean you cant get it, just trust me i know,lol In PA you are givin a form to fill out about any issues you may of had, if this is what you have to do dont lie about it! Be honest, tell them it was a stupid, immature decision you made and its something you highly regret. Did you complete all your sentencing from the judge? Did you get ARD, which is where its wiped off your record after everything is completed? There is so much involved but its not as bad as it seems. Be honest, stop worrying and dont do it again and you will be fine. Good Luck!

Novel idea: read the whole thread, Ruffles...

;-) Just saying, since we've seemed to find some resolution here... and have moved on to other topics...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Nah wendy, reading whole threads is so last year. And don't tell me you are going to start using the "just sayin" mantra?

And have we really moved on to other topics? Look at the posters after mine and you will see that they echo some of the same points as already made so why point me out yet not the two posters after me?

And I really really really hate the saying "Just Saying"

Edited by Captain Kickass

While true that PA school requires "hands on" experience in order to be considered for acceptance, you'd be amazed at what constitutes "hands on experience". I know people who are in PA school now who volunteered in a nursery, worked as candy stripers, teched in a physical therapy setting, worked as trainers for one of their college athletic teams (something you might be able to do now), shadowed physicians and/or PAs for a summer, worked in a physician's office answering phones and taking blood pressures and more. When PA schools say they want hands on experience it doesn't necessarily mean they want you in the back of an ambulance making critical life or death decisions with regards to a patient. They're looking for exposure to health care and will take that exposure from a variety of settings.

Just to add to this or echo what you are saying... there are still some schools that value health care experience, but more and more the focus is just on a good undergrad GPA with some token volunteering in a hospital or shadowing a PA. If the OP volunteered in a hospital once a week during undergrad, that would probably make them eligible (in terms of HCE) for a number of PA programs.

It seems like it is some of the older programs that still value "high quality HCE" (e.g. EMT-P, RN, RT), but that is becoming more the exception than the rule.

The best resource for PA info online is: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/

Be warned though that a lot of them are a bit old school in their view of the PA profession and they would rather not see people without real HCE entering the PA profession so this new breed of pre-PAs don't always get the warmest welcome. Even just to read though, there is lots of good info.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the thread, and didn't see Virginia weighing in, so I'll state, for the record, what VA Office of EMS says about DWI/DUI.

After conviction of a DWI/DUI, a person may not be on an ambulance, until at least 5 years after release from probation, parole, or any program that the judge ordered you to attend, ie: VASAP, etc.

This might have changed in the past year, but since I don't drink & drive, I didn't bother to check for updates to that part of the state code.

Granted, a prospective employer may look at the conviction, and think, " o.O "

I checked the thread, and didn't see Virginia weighing in, so I'll state, for the record, what VA Office of EMS says about DWI/DUI.

After conviction of a DWI/DUI, a person may not be on an ambulance, until at least 5 years after release from probation, parole, or any program that the judge ordered you to attend, ie: VASAP, etc.

This might have changed in the past year, but since I don't drink & drive, I didn't bother to check for updates to that part of the state code.

Granted, a prospective employer may look at the conviction, and think, " o.O "

To clarify a little - I think the VA law says those with a DUI on their record may not operate a state EMS licensed vehicle for up to five years after the conviction date. They are still allowed to act as providers on such vehicles, and may still operate non-EMS apparatus (such as an engine tanker, brush jeep etc.)

The only reason I'm somewhat familiar with this law is because a couple years ago I was cleaning up the files / records of our station members, and came across some paperwork for a member showing that he had received a DUI <5 years ago...but was still operating as a driver o_0. He was honest and had given us all the required paperwork, but the previous training officer had neglected to investigate the matter, and because of such the member was never informed that he could not drive; luckily he never had any incidents while within that 5 year window.

Being able to drive EMS vehicles is typically a job requirement, which means most career options will most likely be off the table for the immediate future. If you just wanted patient contact though, you might still be able to function as a provider with a volunteer organization.