Will a DWI affect me from becoming an EMT

r_brown_11

You wanted answers, you were given answers. You didn't get what you wanted to hear. Sorry, friend, but that's the way the cookie crumbles in this case. You came looking for a second opinion, even after reading other threads where people had posted similar scenarios, were discouraged, and hoped we'd all tell you "nah, it's OK! You'll be fine." Were that the case in any of our jurisdictions, we'd have happily fed you the sunshine, but it's kinda overcast in this case...

DUI/DWI makes it VERY hard to get hired as an EMT. Mike wasn't being a shithead with his response, he was being totally honest- GOOD LUCK, with having such a recent DUI on your record. Statistics and the collective personal experience of this board vote: it's not in your favor.

We all make mistakes. It's easy to do. What's not easy is accepting how far reaching the consequences may be. I know you're impatient to put it behind you, but the legal system and people's perceptions need a lot of time... it sucks, but you just need to stick through it.

Let's focus on what you said you've discovered as an honors college freshman- that you want a career in medicine. Why do you want a career in medicine? What about it appeals to you? When you say medicine, do you just mean the medical field as a whole, or are you thinking grand scheme med school? Nursing school? PA? Nurse practitioner?

If you want patient care experience, hop into a job that doesn't require patient transport and where you can explain your misdemeanor. CNA, for example... there's plenty of CNA's with DUI's floating around. I am a CNA, myself... Doesn't mean you have to work the fogey farm, you can get hired on a hospital floor as a CNA... or, you could go EKG tech, or ER tech, or suchlike... if you just want to get your feet wet and some exposure to real patient care, don't tunnel vision on the EMT thang. Seriously. It looks way cooler than it is, and you'll have a chance to learn quite a lot in a non-EMS arena.

Good luck to you! Congrats on figuring it out, and very glad neither you nor anyone else were hurt or killed. That's a very hard thing to take back, that is.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

Unfortunately, you have no chance of being hired as an EMT, but you may be able to get hired as a Paramedic (non-driver) with a private service. So if EMS is your dream, go all the way to Paramedic. DUI is not a death sentence unless it happened recently (last 10 years), which is what happened with you. In a few years you will be able to say it was a youthful indiscretion, but right now, it is still a dumb/recent indiscretion.

Most employers will have a policy against hiring someone with DUI, but even if they do not, the insurance company will not cover you as a driver. Driving an emergency vehicle requires a pretty clean record at your age, as many will not cover people below 21 with a clean record. Go to the court and see if there is anything you can do to get your record exponged, as most employers will not hire you.

Edited by romneyfor2012

Just wanted to add that the effects of a DUI charge are likely to be highly dependent on your location, as are other issues like fleet insurance.

Before making any decision, I'd try talking to someone who knows the specifics for your location. The registry body that licences EMTs and Paramedics in your region might be a good start. You could try contacting a training school -- but bear in mind some unscrupulous school owners may tell you whatever it takes to get you in the door as a paying customer. I'd also try making contact with a local service, and see what their hiring policies are.

I think this is probably going to get you better information than asking a bunch of people who may be in different countries or geographic regions where different rules apply.

Good luck.

---------------------

Edit:

Also, if you're looking at med school, and you have a 4.0 GPA, why not just apply with two years and see what happens? If you're grades are that good, and you've got something approaching some extracurriculars, you might have a good shot. If you're just getting an EMT-B for summer work and to pad the application, it might be worth it to do some sort of research elective instead.

Edited by systemet

It was a misdemeanor first of all, not that that makes it any better but I am not a felon. Second of all I am aware I made a mistake and if you think I have not beaten myself up since that day for what I could have done to someone and their family that night then your wrong there too. I made a horrible decision one night that will continue to affect my life for many years after, I know that. I did not ask for your judgment or condemnation but rather a professional opinion. For those of you that answered however bluntly and honestly I thank you. But to accuse me of being a felon I do not appreciate, and as for

I am a female so it doesn't seem that question was intended for me, and I am most certainly not a felon.

Female or not I would hope you would still care about the type of person touching your mother or sister.

As others have said you can probably get certified but getting hired will be harder though there are many shady IFT's that might hire you.

Wish I could help, but I honestly don't know how much a DUI/DWI can hurt your chances of getting into EMT class or getting hired on at a service. Like some other people have already said, I'd suggest talking to a legal adviser and/or the EMT program director or a local service director. It honestly could be that you're not employable for the next ten years, or they might not care at all.

Good luck in your medical career, and don't let this small bump in the road bring you down. There's plenty of areas to go in medicine, and nearly all of them are better paid than EMS. =)

I was just looking for honest answers I'm not offended, upset, or even surprised at what most of you have said! It makes sense, I wasn't necessarily expecting anything different. You're in charge of keeping people alive until they get to the hospital it is completely understandable as to why no one would hire someone with a record of drinking and driving, I just didn't know if my age would affect it but it does as you have all pointed out. I get that. Thank you Wendy for pointing out other options for patient care I wasn't aware those were possible options with just a high school diploma. I was not looking to make a career out of being an EMT, I was just looking into it as a step along the way but it is one I will not be able to take. Thanks everyone for your help and advice I got the answers I needed!

Edited by r_brown_11
  • Like 1

Also you asked what part of medicine I am looking into and both Medical and PA school, I have talked to many doctors in my hometown already about shadowing opportunities but entrance into PA school requires hands-on patient care hours for even consideration to be accepted which is why I was looking into EMT certification but I'll just have to find some other way to earn those hours, so I will look into the CNA and ER tech programs.

I was just looking for honest answers I'm not offended, upset, or even surprised at what most of you have said! It makes sense, I wasn't necessarily expecting anything different. You're in charge of keeping people alive until they get to the hospital it is completely understandable as to why no one would hire someone with a record of drinking and driving, I just didn't know if my age would affect it but it does as you have all pointed out. I get that. Thank you Wendy for pointing out other options for patient care I wasn't aware those were possible options with just a high school diploma. I was not looking to make a career out of being an EMT, I was just looking into it as a step along the way but it is one I will not be able to take. Thanks everyone for your help and advice I got the answers I needed!

Novel idea, why don't you call several of the schools in your area and ask them directly about dwi convictions especially at age 17.

Then next call a couple of EMS Agencies out there in your area and see what your chances are on getting hired there.

I find it much better to discuss with the people who will be making decisions affecting my career rather than asking anonymous people on the net that may or may not be in your area whether or not you are or are not hireable or acceptable to the education program you are wanting to go to.

Good luck

Novel idea: read the whole thread, Ruffles...

;-) Just saying, since we've seemed to find some resolution here... and have moved on to other topics...

Wendy

CO EMT-B