EMT student having trouble passing due to language barrier

I'm not so sure. The United States is becoming increasingly bilingual. If I had children, they would learn both Spanish and English. Like it or not, Spanish is becoming an integral component of American life.

I'm not so sure. The United States is becoming increasingly bilingual. If I had children, they would learn both Spanish and English. Like it or not, Spanish is becoming an integral component of American life.

Both my children are perfectly bilingual. It has been a huge asset for my son in Texas EMS.

Yeah... being bilingual from the start is definately excellent. I`m a bit frustrated that my Romanian is that bad, seeing that my father comes from Romania, it could be alot better (makes - the seldom - family gatherings with the romanian half of the family really frustrating sometimes).

In NY State, the EMT-B and EMT-P tests are in English, period. However, if one has the ability to speak other languages while dealing with the patients, more power to them, and hopefully, better pay to act as translators within the EMS community.

In no particular order, just within the district I served, while in FDNY EMS employ, one needed speakers of Spanish, Farsi, German, Italian, French, Hatian variety French (called Creole by some), 3 dialects of Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Rumanian, Croatian, Urdu, Portugese, Polish, Yiddish, or Hebrew, in addition to American variety English, Noo Yawk division.

Just from my personal background, in addition to English, I should, but don't speak, Hebrew, Yiddish, German, Russian and/or Polish. (My detractors say I don't speak English that well, either.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I can tell by personal experience that I believe his difficulty is not language barrier! I am from south America and had a hard time (still have) connecting the dots when it comes to English, specially spoken English! I suggest a lot of reading and studying with questions based books! You may google or search for your training level! It worth the investment!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.