So, if we cut this guy open, what would we find?

DwayneEMTP

It was sarcasm. Could that gut be all adipose? I don't see how someone could be that big around. Is he at risk for back problems because of that weight

Doesn`t look like it`s an adipose problem - the form of that belly seems to indicate differently.

As for the back problems - I guess that was a rhetorical question...

Edited by Vorenus

Not really. I was curious if that amount of weight could cause lumbar problems similar to women who have a very large bust.

They need to make a iPhone app for this site.

Edited by Mike Ellis

394755_10150432915104856_506509855_8410736_1173228207_n.jpg

A Beeber!

Surprise!

We make our nests in the bellies of those infested with our larva, however censorship laws prevent me from posting a picture of THAT monstrosity on here.

No, but probably just fluid and the sorrows of a thousand empty beer cans.

Though I'm no expert on ascites, I just can't see that here. Man, what would that weigh, that volume of fluid?

Also, this guys color and other appearance seems to be pretty 'normal' other than the obvious. Tanned arms and face as if he works outside. I don't see him showing any obvious signs any of the severe issues that would cause such a symptom.

I've treated some patients with ascites that were pretty severe, though non near this guys size, and none of them looked very happy, or healthy. They were almost always sick with electrolyte shifts at least, and a laundry list of end stage conditions at worst, and each of them was unable to eat or drink until after the fluid was reduced as the fluid volume had flattened their GI tract to the point where digestion was no longer possible.

Interesting idea, and I'm certainly not criticizing those with that opinion, but offering a counterpoint from my experience instead.

Dwayne

I noticed the image shown, from what I can see doesn't have much in the way of obvious amounts of stretching, and I can't see any highly visible veins. I've noticed that obvious stretching and visible veins to be common when I've seen images of patients with ascites. I can only assume it's caused by the rapid distension of the abdomen and pressure against the skin. It seems this case was more progressive, possibly with the localized accumulation of fat and possibly in addition to mild to moderate ascites. Maybe?

I've seen one person before, whom had a quite similar shaped abdomen but a little smaller in size, with his naval protruding. He didn't appear to have any other immediate health problems as he was wandering around the beach. I have no idea what it was caused by however.

I'm interested to see what some other ideas are, in addition to those already posted.

I know someone that looks almost exactly like that.. and his problem? What's sitting ontop of his gut. Sweet Jesus, that is just creepy. How the hell do people sleep like that? You'd think he'd suffocate himself, or the weight would pinch stuff off. Ugh.

Someone's gonna have a b!tch of a time embalming him in a month or so.

I'm pretty sure, that there is a good possibility, without much doubt, that he has ascites... But as don as I saw him, he reminded me of pictures we've all probably seen of the child with kwashiorkor type malnutrition. Marked high caloric intake, less of the proteins and such.

On examination at autopsy, probably has esophageal varicies, hepatomegaly and cirrhosis, and ascaris lumbricoides (had to look that one up) which goes along with kwashiorkor. Intestinal scarring would probably be present. There is also probably going to be cardiomegaly too, coronary blockages...

Truth be told, I had to look up the name of the malnutrition characteristic with distended abdomen.

Ok, I guess while I'm at it, I thought Dwayne was posting that one picture from the Orlando EMTCity gathering... Just sayin'...