New Protocol

Jessi

NREMT (The organization) is changing their titles for professionals, as well as changing the standards.

First Responder becomes Emergency Medical Responder (NREMR) By 2016

EMT-B becomes NREMT (by 2016)

EMT-I85 becomes Advanced EMT (NRAEMT) by 2016

EMT-I99 is eliminated, can transition to Paramedic (NRP) by 2019

EMT-P becomes NRP (next time you renew)

As to what's involved, as it's been mentioned, that is up to your state EMS office. I was told by my EMT instructor back in October that around 2013, Michigan will be redoing it's standards to match NREMT. The next section of my post is purely here-say, but this is what he mentioned will change;

NREMR:

"Stretcher fetcher"... basically all they will be allowed to do is CPR until a higher level cert arrives.

NREMT:

"Stretcher fetcher with a better truck"... CPR, AED, stop bleeding, light rescue, NO DRUG ADMINISTRATION except oxygen.

NRAEMT:

Supposedly will not exist in Michigan

NRP:

Higher scope of practice, more drugs in your toolbox, but longer training to get there. Paramedic in Michigan might be a mandatory Associate's program.

Again, those are things my instructor mentioned, and may/may not be the truth. Fine by me either way.

CPhT, again, making it more difficult to understand is what they are doing.

Instead of making a single certification each state has their own rules and regs and they do whatever the hell they want.

Why not just

EMT

EMT-P

Either you are an EMT or you are a EMT-P

Had a friend one time tell me "the only reason the registry exists is to make the Morando family rich"

I've been nationally registered only twice - upon graduating my medic class and then had to get it to get a different job. I don't have the desire to get it again. It seems that everytime they try to make it more easily understandable they frick it all up and make it harder to get anything done.

• Like 1

It seems that everytime they try to make it more easily understandable they frick it all up and make it harder to get anything done.

Amen to that. I was very, very confused by the whole situation. I actually called the Michigan EMS office when I was filing for my license last week to clear it up. The lady at the office told me "We wouldn't even deal with them, except it makes it easier for us. We don't have to administer our own test. We just use theirs, and you get to pay $70 extra." The good news is that now that I have my initial license, I can disregard the NREMT altogether and it won't affect my state license one bit.

I know I'll piss off a lot of people here, but I agree with you about the two stage thing. EMR should be rolled into EMT and AEMT should be rolled into Paramedic, making it two classes. BLS and ALS. Either you take a 2 year program so you can intubate, admin drugs, run 12 leads, etc... or you take 1 year and you can still drive the cool truck, but with less toys.

Sorry for the egress from the thread topic. You may now talk amongst yourselves again.

I'm a little bit more extreme on the levels of certs.

Ask me in a pm what I think really needs to happen to all these certs out there. If I put it out there I'm sure that a bunch of people would jump on me about it but its' truly my feelings about the whole deal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.