New Protocol

Jessi

Had an interesting conversation with a few of my fellow members at the station about new protocols that are supposedly coming out in June/July for the area covered under Western Virginia EMS.

From what I understand, EMT-Basic will no longer exist. It will be "EMT". The person holding an EMT title will now function at the level of what now is EMT-Enhanced. Then you will also have EMT-Intermediate and Paramedic.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about these new protocols or just protocol changes in general?

(I realize we all don't practice under the same protocols, however I'm curious if there is anything similar in other locations and how it's working out)

I had spoke to the Captain on this topic previously, he said that there would indeed be updates and essentially a bridge class. However, I am still questioning whether or not these changes are actually going to happen.

I don't know if it would be a wise idea to move ALL of the EMT-Basics covered under WVEMS to a level equivalent to an EMT-Enhanced.

I'm sure some will have the option of getting out of the business. If the region and/or state is eliminating the provider level then people will either have to adapt or move on.

This also means that they'll have to do something about updating people to the new standards for your region.

I understand your concern, though. There are many basics who don't need to be basics much less higher level providers.

Keep us posted. I think it'll be interesting to watch the transition unfold.

Do you know if the changes are focused on increasing the scope of practice/level of competency or is it more of just a name change for the certification level?

I am courious as to what the enhancements are planning. Are they just going to expand protocols for basics in areas such as IV administration or is it equivalent to requiring everyone to increase a certificate level? Will EMT enhanced do cardiac monitoring, entubations etc?

Edited by DFIB

Okay,

So I sent an email to the big dude over training for the county. What I got back said that EMT would still be EMT. However, enhanced would be moved and called "Advanced EMT". This "Advanced EMT" cert would be a blend of enhanced and intermediate skills. Intermediate and Paramedic will still remain.

The details with this are so wound up it's hard to get a straight answer. I will keep updating this as I find out more.

Okay,

So I sent an email to the big dude over training for the county. What I got back said that EMT would still be EMT. However, enhanced would be moved and called "Advanced EMT". This "Advanced EMT" cert would be a blend of enhanced and intermediate skills. Intermediate and Paramedic will still remain.

The details with this are so wound up it's hard to get a straight answer. I will keep updating this as I find out more.

so instead of simplifying things and getting rid of some of the fat, they are oversimplifying it and making it much harder for EMS Agencies to understand. Sounds about right

I don't know. I recert in May, before any of these changes take effect, so I guess for now I'm safe. Granted, however, I am curious as to what they tack on to the "Advanced EMT" title.

This is actually fairly consistent with the NSOP changes from what I've seen on this thread. We've had discussions about these changes before. I'm surprised so many people seem to be rather surprised. The EMT-B will transition to EMT on a national level. Anybody who has NREMT credentials should have been aware of this and if you've been keeping up, these changes have been years in the making. For better or worse, states are beginning to make the transition, and the wisdom of these changes is probably a subject for another thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.