Paramedic accused of rape in CT

nypamedic43

As much as we want to believe that all of us behave in a manner that is nothing but on the highest level of professionalism...this kind of thing gives us all a blackeye.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/connecticut-paramedic-acc_n_1190718.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D125570

I agree, hopefully everyone will realize that there is good and bad in every profession, even priests have had issues, and they are supposed to be very god-like. But I have to ask this question, how do you rape a woman that is strapped to a backboard while moving down the road ? And what in the world was his partner thinking? Is he really going to say he did not see his partner on top of this patient ?

At this point is there any proof or just an accusation? Let's not convict someone w/o letting all the facts get to us. If it is true hang the medic from the ambulance. If not true lets hope the media puts as much effort in clearing the medic as they did in condemning them.

As far as I know, it's just an accusation at this point. I'm not trying to hang anyone at this point in time. We just don't Know all the facts yet.

Edited for spelling

Edited by nypamedic43

Lets see : What are the facts.

3 AM pt falls down & sustains head injury.

someone calls 911.

Ambulance crew evaluates and packages pt.

sometime during transport pt regains consciousness and claims to be raped/or assaulted in back of ambulance.

pt doesn't report it until after she was released from hospital.

Is it possible? of course it is. Anything is possible.

Is it likely to have happened???? I don't know based on very little info given.

But I have to ask this question, how do you rape a woman that is strapped to a backboard while moving down the road ?

Some people are more talented than others.

And what in the world was his partner thinking? Is he really going to say he did not see his partner on top of this patient ?

I guess it would depend on the type of ambulance as to if the driver can see the patient compartment.

Lets see : What are the facts.

3 AM pt falls down & sustains head injury.

someone calls 911.

Ambulance crew evaluates and packages pt.

sometime during transport pt regains consciousness and claims to be raped/or assaulted in back of ambulance.

pt doesn't report it until after she was released from hospital.

Is it possible? of course it is. Anything is possible.

Is it likely to have happened???? I don't know based on very little info given.

The story sounds pretty squirrely to me. I wonder why newspapers are so quick to run a story based on an accusation.

It would seem that we all serve the same community and would try to give EMS the benefit of the doubt until there is some semblance of proof. The reporter is just as skuzzy as the alleged perpetrator in my opinion

Yeah, it makes me livid that the headline is "paramedic accused" yet the first line of the story is, "A paramedic raped a woman..." Fucking asshats...

I once fired a female employee who then, having stolen my Rolodex, called nearly everyone I knew and claimed that I'd raped her and her 14 year old daughter. My family, the owner of the buildings that I leased, friends, customers...it was a most exquisite nightmare.

Babs prevented me from going to see the city attorney, as I wanted. At this time I worked 16-18 hrs per day and every hour was spent with either my half dozen employees or on private appts, so I was convinced that if I could get the city attorney to force her to name a time for the attacks that I could verify that I was somewhere else.

Instead I followed Babs advice and went to an attorney. I said, "What do I do about this?" She said, "If she goes to the police, you do 15 years." I said, "No, what the fuck do I do??" She said, "15 years if she and her daughter are willing to swear to these stories. And there's nothing anyone can do about that." I said, "Lets go to the city attorney! I can prove that I couldn't have been anywhere near her/them if you'll just force her to pick a time!" She said, "When was that last time that you saw a city attorney get elected by proving someone innocent? Put yourself on his radar with this story and you're history."

Anyway, the issues resolved it's self in an unusual, unexpected manner, but it was easily the most horrifying 6 months or so of my life.

Accusations are not convictions, but as seen by the first several comments, too often they are considered one and the same.

Unfortunately it makes no difference what the truth is now, as this medic is ruined in this town and any town nearby simply because a newspaper was willing to trade his life for the privilege of selling an extra 100 papers...

As well, I'm not sure what constitutes rape any more. I don't believe that any type of vaginal penetration or violence is necessary. And when was the last time you've heard of a $25,000 bond for rape? The court felt him such a danger that they tasked him with $2,500 bucks to be released? They didn't want to keep him very badly it sounds like.

Yeah....The cops are motivated for this to be big news, the paper is motivated for it to be big news, the girl has obvious legal motivations for this to be a big story....this story stinks

If he's proved guilty? I'm guessing that most here don't need to hear my opinion of that. But until then...man...the horror for he and his family based on an unverified accusation is unthinkable to me...

Dwayne

Whether or not the accusation is true, his life is ruined and his career is over. Just the hint of inpropriety is a hangin offence unfortunately, thats what I meant by giving us all a black eye. Because if its proven that it didnt happen, there was sdtill an accusation. If its proven that it did happen...well then all paramedics are pervs and will eventually do something like this. Its a double edged sword...and nobody comes out unscathed.

I rode with a service that had cameras in the box so the driver could see the medics at all times. I don't know if they record the runs. Probably not, but at least the medics have a witness to to their behavior. If this guy was in the back alone with his patient he may have a very weak defense.

Dwayne, I am sure you remember the Duke Lacrosse Team and the fake accusations made against them. Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent, families put through hell, reputations tarnished all because some chick had a fantasy of making some money of some "rich kids". In a professional sense a simple false accusation is just as damaging as a conviction, all thanks to sleazy reporters.

I return to the perspective that we all serve the same community. I am not saying that bad behavior should be condoned or covered up, but because of the impact that reporting has on the entire community stories should be written with care. All EMS personnel spend considerable time and effort educating the public as to what we do and how we do it. It is part of our job description and one of the responsibilities of our profession. This kind of reporting does not build solidarity but negatively impacts an entire industry ability to adequately serve. Based on what? The word of a person who may or may not be telling the truth but only thought to mention after she left the Hospital. I mean, Most people cry foul if the medic misses the IV. She isn't accusing him of poking her with a needle but waits till later to bring it up. The entire thing sounds fishy to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.