What got you into EMS?

Ak, cool story - a way worth admiring!

As for me:

When I was in my last year in High School I wanted to become a doctor initially - due to some misinterpretations and some mistakes on my side, I thought that I wouldn`t be eligible for med school right after school, as I thought I would lack the appropriate qualifications.

I can`t really remember, when I started thinking about EMS - I never had a drastic moment of tragedy or something, that pointed me into this. Anyways, I somewhere read about it, started research a bit, applied for a Para (RettAss) course and got in.

Then, when I finisihed High School and found out that my grades were better than I had expected and I propably would be able to enter med school right away, I had to decide wether to apply for medicine or take on the Para course I already had an offer for.

After some thought, I choose the Para course (with the plan to study medicine afterwards), because I wanted to do something practical and "real-life" before sitting on my arse again for another six years.

In the summer I finished Para school, I had also applied for medicine (but it was a fucked-up thing in the first place, since I wasn`t really sure wether I wanted to do this anymore - so I spontaneously applied on the last possible day to keep all my options open, but fucked up with some bureaucratic stuff), but I didn`t get the place I was hoping for. I had an offer for The University of Erlangen, though, but didn`t wanted to go there.

So I finisihed Para school - and had nothing. Not the offer for med school I had half-heartedly hoped for and neither a job in EMS, since the service I was training with had no vacancies. Luckily (more or less) I quickly found a job with a private service and started to work there as a Para after one month of unemployment.

The position didn`t really suit me `cause they weren`t really employee-firiendly, so I left after some months to get back to my former service (due to some vacancy). I`ve been working there since that swap. Right now I`m thinking about changing my job and geographical position, but that`s another story.

I'll provide some contrast to AK's inspirational story. I was in high school and my girlfriend wanted a shiny, new ring. I was bagging groceries for minimum wage. The Army National Guard had a $1,000 sign on bonus. I found a way to get the ring. Since I was underaged, my mother had to sign a waiver. She would only do so if I selected a MOS that she approved. Ended up going in as a medic. Girlfriend left me when I was in AIT LOL. The rest is history.

AK, I've had a few Badge Bunnies try to work me, while my Lady J was alongside me. I shut them down with a public display of affection with Lady J.

As for mixed BLS/ALS teams, FDNY EMS doesn't routinely do them, as it's always EMT/EMT or EMT-P/EMT-P. The only time they would do the mixed teams would be when half of each team was unaccompanied, the supervisors wanted to keep one of the 2 units "out there", and the team would act as a BLS team, unless the team was on an assignment with another, full ALS team; then, the mixed team EMT-P would act as an ALS provider, the EMT to the extent of their BLS protocols.

ChBare, just remember that it sometimes is better to have loved and lost. Much better. The first woman I asked to marry me, in 1973, responded with the "Let's just be friends" speech. She's now on her third marraige, and never to the guy who everyone, including me, thought she was "supposed to" get married to, after declining my proposal. (My "rebound" was a wasted 9 year interstate (she's Teaneck, NJ, I remain Belle Harbor, NY) engagement that never went anywhere. Following that, I've been "with" Lady J from December 1988, but we're both a bit "gun-shy")

Dwayne, the only rock younger than me that I know of, is Chris Rock.

AK, I've had a few Badge Bunnies try to work me, while my Lady J was alongside me. I shut them down with a public display of affection with Lady J.

As for mixed BLS/ALS teams, FDNY EMS doesn't routinely do them, as it's always EMT/EMT or EMT-P/EMT-P. The only time they would do the mixed teams would be when half of each team was unaccompanied, the supervisors wanted to keep one of the 2 units "out there", and the team would act as a BLS team, unless the team was on an assignment with another, full ALS team; then, the mixed team EMT-P would act as an ALS provider, the EMT to the extent of their BLS protocols.

ChBare, just remember that it sometimes is better to have loved and lost. Much better. The first woman I asked to marry me, in 1973, responded with the "Let's just be friends" speech. She's now on her third marraige, and never to the guy who everyone, including me, thought she was "supposed to" get married to, after declining my proposal. (My "rebound" was a wasted 9 year interstate (she's Teaneck, NJ, I remain Belle Harbor, NY) engagement that never went anywhere. Following that, I've been "with" Lady J from December 1988, but we're both a bit "gun-shy")

My wife is the only person I ever proposed to. We are working on our 23 year.

What is it with chicks and uniforms anyway?

My wife is the only person I ever proposed to. We are working on our 23 year.

Some strike the motherlode. You did, I didn't.

What is it with chicks and uniforms anyway?

Even Ralph Kramden said that Alice was originally attracted to him due to the (Gotham Bus Company) uniform he was wearing.

No worries. It was high school and I doubt we even knew what love was.

It was a combination of experiences that lead me this direction. Grandpa was a volunteer fireman and one of the first EMT's in the state of Washington. Uncle was a Volly FF/EMT, another Uncle was a career Captain/Medic on a Metro Dept. I wanted to fill the family tree out and be a fireman too. Then it happened... I out grew the toy trucks, the cute bunker gear onesie, the firetruck shoes and went on to so many other childhood fantasies. I wanted to be a pilot. That was in my freshman year of high school, and the school had a school to work job shadow. So they sent me out to the rural airport... to hang out with airplane mechanics. So I sat there all day bored out of my mind when it happened. A real pilot showed up, a fixed wing medical transport pilot. He proceeded to tell me the really cool job is in the back of his aircraft.

Fast forward six months to my 16th birthday. Working at a road side bakery/fruit stand we just sat down to eat cake when a car pulled up and honked. We kinda dismissed it. Then it honked again. I went out there and found a 60's age 300+ lb male red in face, diaphoretic, clutching his chest. "Help, Ambulance" I called 911, and gave him Aspirin out of the first aid kit ( those damn Bayer commercials work) 16 minutes later the ambulance shows up, loads him up, and hauls him away. The local paper wrote up about the birthday hero and the family sent me a thank you card, but I had felt so helpless. Why did it take so long? I wanna be able to help, to not feel useless and so since I was 16, I joined the Volunteer Fire Dept. no ems out of that station. EMS was up the road 8 miles. But that got me started. National Ski Patrol that winter. The MD Director of the ski patrol let me work with him down at the hospital in the ER. That was cool but the ones that impressed me were the Paramedics who would bring in the patient well on there way to recovery. I mean they had to have been really sick when they called 911, but the paramedics had to have fixed them, as they were doing well now. So I started riding third with this ALS agency.

That next summer (17) I took my First Responder class so I could use the training with the fire dept on car wrecks. I did a lot of volunteering that year and spent a ton of shifts in the ER. in march of 03 Then I got sick. Two weeks in a level 4 Hospital, One Medstar flight to a children's hospital, a week more there, then outpatient IV med visits. DX: Nisseria Meningitis. I learned the importance of bedside manner, during this time. 6 months later I was back and healthy, Starting my Sr. year. I had all of my graduation requirements filled, I just needed elective credits. So I enrolled in school to work internship. 9-5 M-F, I was at the ALS agency 38 miles from my house. 3 months after I Turned 18 I started my EMT class and got my card, but there were no jobs, or shifts I could take, because I had to be 21 to drive. I graduated, Got the "presidential scholarship for volunteerism" and then Was going to go to school to start paramedic Pre-Reqs. Got sick again, recurrant debilitating headaches. Lost about a year because I was dealing with appointments, and Pain management zoned out adjustments. Then got off all of it and everything resolved DX: rebound headaches. Moved to North Dakota to work in the oilfields (bad idea, Its cold!) and then got a job back in Washington state as " Industrial EMT/ Mine Medic" Another volunteer gig with an ALS Service, Had a really emotional call (first pedi code) and stepped back for a bit.

A few years later I realized how much I missed it, Got on with a Volly IFT Service and re took EMT-B. Re-certed and started Paramedic School. So I have worked for 8+ agencies over 9 years got in and out of it in varying levels, Private, public, non profit, for profit, remote non transport, hyper urban. I have ran the gambit. I like to think I am a proof that despite what life throws at you, you can always go back.

Sorry for the Long Bio, but like AK I started writing and couldn't stop.

Fireman1037

• 2 weeks later...

I use to watch " Emergency " back in the day and " Rescue 911 " and I believe that is where it all started. I took my very first first aid course in the early 90's and from there just kept taking courses. I enjoy helping people and running calls. For me it is the best feeling helping somebody and knowing I may have made a difference just by showing up and taking them to the hospital. I love it when you finish up with the pt. and they give you a smile and say " Thank you ". To me that is what EMS is about.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.