Little Triumphs (subtitled, I passed)

Hello fellow EMTCity-dwellers. Good evening. I felt compelled as I left work today to post up my little success. I took my NREMT Basic test this morning at 0800, and at 1430 was rewarded with the results. I passed on my first attempt.

I want to thank the people of the board. Even though many of the topics in the Scenario board were way above my head (and cert level), reading through them has helped me understand the process. The articles posted in different threads, on Facebook, and found through browsing have also helped me learn. I really want to thank the members who post in the "I didn't pass" or "help me pass" types of threads, because many of the tips offered (time and time again) really worked.

So now you all are stuck with me. :punk: EMT-Basic (Soon to be Paramedic student) Eric.

• Like 3

Good on you Eric...Your posts make it clear that EMS is going to be lucky to have you, much more so than you it....

I'd have bet a month's wages that you'd have no trouble...I'm really excited for you!

I'd say 'welcome to the family' but your intelligence and attitude made you part of the family long before the NR validated it.

Good on you Brother...

Dwayne

• Like 1

Congratulations amigo! I am glad that all the hard work you have invested payed off.

I just finished taking mine and now have to wait for results. One thing is sure How did they inform you? Do they update your status on you account or what?

When did it cut you off? I mean how many questions were you offered before you were cut off?

...I just finished taking mine and now have to wait for results...How did they inform you? Do they update your status on you account or what?...

Is that nerves I detect? There is not a snowballs chance in hell that you didn't pass...but it is kinda fun to see you worried. I, we, all know the feeling...good on both of you..

How did you find the test? Was it what you expected?

Dwayne

Good on you Eric...Your posts make it clear that EMS is going to be lucky to have you, much more so than you it....

I'd have bet a month's wages that you'd have no trouble...I'm really excited for you!

I'd say 'welcome to the family' but your intelligence and attitude made you part of the family long before the NR validated it.

Good on you Brother...

Dwayne

Wow... thanks! I can really only bow in humility around here. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I'm hooked.

Congratulations amigo! I am glad that all the hard work you have invested payed off.

I just finished taking mine and now have to wait for results. One thing is sure How did they inform you? Do they update your status on you account or what?

When did it cut you off? I mean how many questions were you offered before you were cut off?

Thanks DFIB! I'm sure you did fine as well. My test cut off right at the 70 question minimum, so I had a good idea that I had passed before I even walked out. It was either that, or I bombed it beyond belief. As to the results, When you log in to the NREMT site, you'll have the option for "Check initial entry application status". It'll have your info there.

Is that nerves I detect? There is not a snowballs chance in hell that you didn't pass...but it is kinda fun to see you worried. I, we, all know the feeling...good on both of you..

Dwayne

I thought my test was nerve-wracking. In just about every standardized test I've taken, if there were four options, you'd typically have one or two which were obviously wrong, and the rest were acceptable, with only one of those being the MOST correct. With my test, it seemed like a vast majority of the questions had ALL acceptable answers. In my ideal world, I'd like to think they were trying to test our critical thinking and EMT-abilities rather than our test taking and memorization skills.

The part that I thought was ironic was that I had five questions regarding peanut allergic reactions. I happen to be allergic to peanuts myself, so those hit home. Then, when I got three pharmacology questions, I had to chuckle a bit. Yes....throw the pharmacy technician more questions about drugs... I imagine the woman watching the video surveillance screen saw a combination of the Emperor from Star Wars and Mr Burns from The Simpsons on my face.

• Like 1

I am glad that my despair can entertain you. :) I am most definitely giddy about this one. There is no real way of having a good sense of how I did but I hope I did well.

Dwayne

It was a weird test. Everything was cognitive and sign/symptom based scenarios. The first 5 or 6 questions were pretty easy. All the rest were challenging choose the best answer questions that leave a lot of uncertainty. Multiple correct answers to choose from with what you would do first answers. I think there was only one straight question and it was something about Beck's triad.

It only offered me 70 questions out of a possible 150 (I think that is the limit) so I finished in about 1/3 of the allotted time. My son took it at the same time (that was really cool) and win, lose or draw I am really proud of him. He is a great young man.

The way I understand the early cut off is that I either did really well or was a total idiot, so I am on pins and needles.

I have a lot riding on this one since I am already registered and paying for EMT-I.

The real scare was when I received my Paramedic 1 books today (ACLS, PALS, Basic Dysrhthmias, 12 Lead ECG and acute coronary syndromes) not counting the “orange” book. I am going to have to find time to learn all of that stuff, geeez.

You Medics just earned an entire new level of respect in my eyes.

The part that I thought was ironic was that I had five questions regarding peanut allergic reactions. I happen to be allergic to peanuts myself, so those hit home. Then, when I got three pharmacology questions, I had to chuckle a bit. Yes....throw the pharmacy technician more questions about drugs... I imagine the woman watching the video surveillance screen saw a combination of the Emperor from Star Wars and Mr Burns from The Simpsons on my face.

You know I had several allergic reactions questions as well. More than any other scenario. I think they were trying to bait me into sticking them all with an epi-pen. If they were not then I screwed the pooch on those.

I am really proud that you passed and now truly appreciate your accomplishment.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.