What is wrong with people these days?

Jessi

Was browsing around and happened to find this story. Why would someone want to do this to people??

Slowly but surely losing faith in my fellow man.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/30/david-dean-smith-michigan-hiv-grand-rapids_n_1177103.html?1325293020&icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D124026

I've little doubt that he made some people sick, but he's 51, not that good to look at and doesn't strike me as someone that is packing a giant......wallet. (Yeah, you thought I was gonna say something else didn't you? Perv!)

The point being that he is mentally ill, as suggested not only by his claim to want to kill people and making the effort to convince the police that he's a bad guy, but more so by his claim to have infected 'thousands' of women over the last few years. Really?

He wants to be famous, and it looks like he's gonna get his wish...But bullshit stories are still bullshit stories...

At least that's my take..

As far as losing faith in mankind? That's easy to do if you take most of your evidence from the media. This is one douche afloat in an ocean of amazing, kind people...He's an anomaly, and certainly not representative of either being common, nor a man.

Dwayne

You work in EMS and still have any faith? You are doing better than most.

Heh...Yeah. I try to remember that we're not seeing a representative cross section of 'everyone' when working with patients, but a relatively small subset of a certain mentality.

Here's a test I run, a game I play, when I begin to feel jaded and frustrated. When you go to the supermarket, go to an Isle like meats, or baking or such, baking works really well. Pick a product, find the meanest, grumpiest person that you see, and ask their advice about it. See what happens.

I got started on this, (I know it's idiotic, but I like it still), when Babs asked me to pick up flour for biscuits at the supermarket. Me, being me, had no idea that there were 400 kinds of flour and I didn't want to call her back and illuminate my ignorance more than necessary, so I asked an older lady that was nearby. Man, she had an opinion, another lady overheard and had an opinion, a big fat guy that turned out to be a baker had an opinion, and soon there were a half dozen people in my little party laughing and swapping baking tips...just because a stranger had asked for help.

Truly, I know this sounds stupid, but I find that it helps me stay real in this EMS world. Go by the steaks, find the shittiest, angriest looking man and ask him if he has any ideas on the best way to BBQ your steak for you and your wife's anniversary.

Jack Welch when speaking on business said something like, "I've come to believe that most people need two things for success. You have to show them that it's possible, and then you need to give them permission to succeed."

I think most people are the same emotionally/socially. They aren't brave enough to reach out, as rejection is a pretty salient punishment for most, but if you give them the tiniest permission to reach out to you they are truly kind, loving people that will do a lot to help. I dare you to prove this to yourself....

Anyway Doc, I know you didn't ask for any of this shit...but it's the end of the year which tends to make me introspective, so....there you have it. :-)

Happy New Year Brother!

Dwayne

• Like 3

I'd like to quickly comment on what is referred to as "black humour" which I'm sure we have all either experienced or even taken part in. I've noticed it's fairly common in EMS/Police and to a certain point I think it can be helpful to certain people in dealing with the stress of the profession.

Where this "humour" becomes an issue is when it negitively affects the entire organizational culture and creates an uncomfortable work environment. One instance in paritular was around a year ago when I was 3 months into my EMS career working in a northern reserve community and had my first code which was a 10 month old with an hour from the hospital with both parents present. The black humour was introduced by group of police officers who some terrible things which made it much just that much harder to get over the incident.

Dwayne, I really enjoyed your "test" idea in the supermarket. I do agree that for the most part people are truly kind and loving but have created a protective default towards strangers until you reach out and show a bit of vulnerability.

Kind of strayed away from the original topic, still slightly jaded by that particular incident early in my career and I suppose I also felt a bit introspective with the new year only 11 hours away!

Heh...Yeah. I try to remember that we're not seeing a representative cross section of 'everyone' when working with patients, but a relatively small subset of a certain mentality.

Here's a test I run, a game I play, when I begin to feel jaded and frustrated. When you go to the supermarket, go to an Isle like meats, or baking or such, baking works really well. Pick a product, find the meanest, grumpiest person that you see, and ask their advice about it. See what happens.

I got started on this, (I know it's idiotic, but I like it still), when Babs asked me to pick up flour for biscuits at the supermarket. Me, being me, had no idea that there were 400 kinds of flour and I didn't want to call her back and illuminate my ignorance more than necessary, so I asked an older lady that was nearby. Man, she had an opinion, another lady overheard and had an opinion, a big fat guy that turned out to be a baker had an opinion, and soon there were a half dozen people in my little party laughing and swapping baking tips...just because a stranger had asked for help.

Sounds like too much time and work, but I may be a little cynical.

Seriously, that is a cool story though. There are still good people out there thankfully.

1) Re the story in the link, if this is true, and not some nutcase just trying to get his name in the papers, it has happened before, far enough back that I cannot document, but has been in a "Ripped From the Headlines" Law and Order Special Victims Unit episode.

2) Re faith: The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. Present company, my family, and my Lady J and her family exempted.

I admittedly just read the actual article. I didn't realize this was local news. I'm sure I will be seeing a few of his partners. We should also warn Ruff/Kickass to be a little more careful when he comes up here, lol. Does anyone else think he looks a little like Dwayne?

Rich, there was a similar case in upstate NY, Jonestown I believe, over 10 years ago.

...Does anyone else think he looks a little like Dwayne?....

I didn't...but now that you mention it, maybe that's why I was so confident that he's broke and in no way getting laid regularly with that face...Subconscious pattern recognition?

Dwayne