When you put your safety above a patient's needs

If it takes 10 minutes, it takes 10 minutes, if it takes an hour, it takes an hour. If it's not safe for the provider... then the provider doesn't need to enter the scene.

Don't feed flaming. He's just bitter at not having a family to be with on Christmas, so he's lashing out at people's desires to go home to their own. He is an unpleasant little man hiding behind his sexuality. Here's some eggnog, mate. Cheer up.

I've noticed the pattern in his posts. Seems to try and start an argument regardless of the topic... it's sad.

If an EMT feels that a situation might be dangerous to their health and well being, go with the feeling. Await the LEOs, at a location out of sight of the location if possible, but ALWAYS within the protocols of your agency.

As a further mention, become knowledgeable with both agency and area protocols. Won't hurt you, and just might protect you against violating them.

I worked with a thick Operations Guide Book, and in the NYC EMS Academy, we actually spent a couple of days going through the book as it existed back then in 1985, to familiarize ourselves. When I retired in 2010, under FDNY, the book was even thicker.

When we have a call, where there is violence involved, or an "unsafe scene" in regard to something also involving law enforcement. We're not told the location. We're ordered to hold in quarters, or hold at a specific location. They don't tell us the address, until PD arrives and secures the scene. Sometimes, that can be an extensive time, as we have no police staffing on certain nights of a month. So, they have to come from where ever the hell it is they live.

I can live with that, despite some details that haunt me on occasion. Oh yeah, I have some nice pills for some of the stuff I've seen. You see, every. single. person.. that lives in this community, lives here, not visits, not weekends, lives here. I know them. Hundreds, not thousands, but hundreds. I know them, I know their family, their kids. They have problems just like everyone else. Sometimes, bad shit happens close to home, and someone's gotta deal with that bad shit. Some folks can get around policies, by not being completely honest when calling for help.

Some situations just warrant, allowing us to go above and beyond, to put our life before someone else. I'll crawl into a burning house, and die trying to find someone that can't get out. But if you're down on your luck, and holding a shot gun. Fuck you, I am not getting shot to talk you down. Let someone with a gun level the playing field, and talk you down; but I'll gladly listen to your problems, after you've been searched and strapped to the stretcher.

When are we going to be rid of these tools?

Ak,admin, how about some of that christmas cheer, give us the present of removing this twit from these forums, the awesomeness is being tarnished.

After reflecting on the multitude of posts that flaming has made, I believe he is in need of some help from a forensic analysis's point of view, from his anger to delusions of grandeur and strong yet misplaced concerns that he will never be realistically be able to effect in the slightest.

This has nothing to do with his preferred sexual preference, as I look to other balanced EMS providers (one on this site that is a truly dedicated professional FIRST and highly respected !) It appears he has pent up and misplaced anger on a multitude of issues .. perhaps this is just his way to vent and very jaded sometimes, I can only guess about that, but that's acceptable to myself.

I myself and tongue in cheek have had an opportunity myself to take a few pot shots at the ignorance in his posts (My Bad ? )

It is more than apparent to myself that his goal as an advocate for Gays Rights in EMS that he is defeating himself with own goal(s), as the tenor of the vast majority of posts is very negative, and cant therow rocks if you live in a glass house but without a global open respectful perspective of others he shoots himself in his foot.

Personally I could give a rats ass what my partners sexuality is AS LONG AS THEY ARE DEDICATED to the PROFESSION FIRST.

It is my hope that today he has "someone" to hold and love, this is my true wish for him on this day, i certainly sounds likes he needs as this the very basic of human needs, that being human touch and compassion.

As is AK I am not a practising Christian (or anything else for that matter) but in the spirit of this day, I sincerely hope ONLY for the best for flamingemt, and the hope that all adults can change, no one what their childhood horrors may have been.

I would like to refer him to http://www.tema.ca/ that would not hurt either.

cheers

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.