When you put your safety above a patient's needs

There have been several threads in here where ems folks have stated they would not treat a patient or would not do a procedure because it is "unsafe". Here is an article that shows how ridiculous some of your practices are:

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-ames-lawsuit-121911,0,3813645.story

Edited by flamingemt2011

Let's see....a known domestic situation with gun involved and the police have not entered and declared the scene safe...what's the issue again?

No I will not enter, they can sue all day long...I am quite comfortable with that decision and will lose no sleep.

Muddy hill, not enough resources to safely carry up a patient...yep, again I am ok with the decision. Call for resources and when enough is there, then we proceed.

At what point in our career choice do you think we sign over our rights to health and safety? I never did and never will. We are not super human...we do what we can when we safely can.

• Like 2

There have been several threads in here where ems folks have stated they would not treat a patient or would not do a procedure because it is "unsafe". Here is an article that shows how ridiculous some of your practices are:

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

http://www.whotv.com...0,3813645.story

In the shooting incident the lady seems to be suing the Police for not securing the House. Notong about EMS.

Were they staging outside? Did it seem like a hostage situation? There are too many variables me to consider this article as a serious point of reference to form an opinion. There is something missing in this story.

I would not enter this scene until the scene is secured. You are welcome to risk getting shot if you want, I have a lot to live for.

The girl with the seizure I would have asked bystanders to volunteer to help and carried her out but I work in a remote area and train and perform complicated environmental extractions. We would have needed to rig some safety lines and guide ropes but I would have taken her out.

If it took them the same time to get out as it did to get to her you are looking at a two hour delay after the incident. The few minutes that the medics may have lost in the discussion probably would not have made a difference. The age and physical condition of the responders and equipment at their disposal would be critical points in the decision making process. I am going to suppose that the reporter took the coroners remarks out of context as well.

As for the 85 year old man, the hospital should have a rapid response team to attend accidents on the premises. If they do not have the proper equipment and training to move this patient they would be accepting the responsibility for any legal liability. Not a bad call. The first rule after safety is to do no harm. Too bad the ambulance took so long to arrive. They could have tried to make them comfortable and monitored him in situo and I bet they did. As I say the reporter seems to have an ax to grind. Oh, and he mentions he died implying that it was the fall that killed him. I’m sure it had nothing to do with him being an 85 year old cancer patient.

The rest of the article is hear say ”I heard of one case” And a shotgun approach of an apparently disgruntled reporter with no clue but a lot of opinions.

I think these are the worst two examples ever to refute scene safety and what is ridiculous is your original post.

Edited by DFIB

The first thing they teach in an EMT class.... "Scene safe, BSI."

Is the scene safe? Yes: Okay, awesome.

No: I'm not going in until PD is there, I'm going to stage at a safe distance... they'll just have to wait.

I'm no good to the patient if I'm a patient myself. I'm also not going to try and move a patient without adequate resources. That's not only a potential risk to my patient, it's a risk to me as well. I can justify why I waited an extra 6 minutes for FD to get there to help me lift the 400lb patient... I don't think I justify trying to lift the patient, dropping them, and injuring them further and potentially injuring myself.

• Like 1

Here is an article that shows how ridiculous some of your practices are:

Interesting that you say How ridiculous "YOUR "practices are.

Does this mean you have never found yourself with having to make a decision of " do I put my life & my partners at risk in order to be a "HERO" and try & save someone or does this mean you are just a poser?

If you continue to do unsafe practices < It will bite you in the ass.

Most hospital personnel are not allowed to move an injured pt because their training and licenses are not in Emergency medicine. We got called to the hospital property all the time to package & stabilize injured folks on the grounds , before transporting them to the ER down the hall.

I have heard the sound of bullets whistling by my head in an apartment full of police officers , that had allegedly secured the residence, as we moved a stabbing pt out of there.

Nowhere in the oath I took did I ever see the words, " you will takes risks of your life to help someone.

Why do I care how long it took the police to arrive and secure the scene?

I will in a known hazardous environment until it is secure and threats removed.

Edited by island emt

Don't feed flaming. He's just bitter at not having a family to be with on Christmas, so he's lashing out at people's desires to go home to their own. He is an unpleasant little man hiding behind his sexuality. Here's some eggnog, mate. Cheer up.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.