Do We Make Trauma Patients Worse............

romneyfor2012

Just went and checked, truck in the heated bay, bay thermostat set on 65, truck has been in about an hour, iv fluids 68 degrees. Yikes! When its real cold I do keep two bags on dash next to defrost vents or hang bag in front of rear heater

Talk about a cold shower!!

We have a heated cupboard for our infusions as well, and I cover the pat. up after examining (not out of modesty, but for the hypothermia reason - I have to admit, that "modesty" or "privacy" are the least thoughts I have at an actual trauma site).

hmmmm If I have the need for an IV and it's going to save my life and I might get some chemicals in my system that are from leeching from the bag after microwaving, I think I'll take the IV over the minute amount of chemicals any day of the week and twice on sunday.

We have a heated cupboard for our infusions as well, and I cover the pat. up after examining (not out of modesty, but for the hypothermia reason - I have to admit, that "modesty" or "privacy" are the least thoughts I have at an actual trauma site).

Agreed Vorenus, but you are killing two birds with one stone by covering them up. Warming up and protecting modesty. A win win situation

hmmmm If I have the need for an IV and it's going to save my life and I might get some chemicals in my system that are from leeching from the bag after microwaving, I think I'll take the IV over the minute amount of chemicals any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Agreed Vorenus, but you are killing two birds with one stone by covering them up. Warming up and protecting modesty. A win win situation

We are in agreement. I am still a little courious as to if this theory is true or just another EMS legend.

It's true, I heard it from a friend of a friend who has a very good friend who's a medic at a very awesome ems system who heard it from one of his friends who attended that cap lab who said that he heard if from Dwayne and Wendy but Dwayne and Wendy disavvow all knowledge of this one but they do know a person who might know a doctor or some mumbo jumbo of a scientist who actually might have seen the suspected leeching happen while using his electron microscope which was later determined to be defective in it's results and he determined that it's an old wives(medics) tale.

• Like 1

It's true, I heard it from a friend of a friend who has a very good friend who's a medic at a very awesome ems system who heard it from one of his friends who attended that cap lab who said that he heard if from Dwayne and Wendy but Dwayne and Wendy disavvow all knowledge of this one but they do know a person who might know a doctor or some mumbo jumbo of a scientist who actually might have seen the suspected leeching happen while using his electron microscope which was later determined to be defective in it's results and he determined that it's an old wives(medics) tale.

I think I know that guy! Not the friend of the friend but the other one! :)

I think I know that guy! Not the friend of the friend but the other one! :)

Oh, that dude, for sure... don`t really know him, only his sister... but don`t tell him that! :P

Edited by Vorenus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.