Third times the charm?

Near passing equals :::: almost made the very minimum score BUT wait for it::: failed

Colin You need to open your brain and let the information you were taught sink in before it can flow out in an organized manner.

So I guess this means that the OP didn't even pass "Operations"...which means that they've COMPLETELY failed......am I correct in my logic?

Unfortunately, as usually happens in these threads we're now talking only to ourselves.

He's not looking to be a professional EMT. He came for the magic bullet to pass the test without understanding the material and has no interest in participating further.

I really, really wish I had a trick for hooking these folks. If I had the right words to make them understand, like many here did for me, instead of chasing them off then I think I might actually do some good.

I think that that is the challenge, and should be the goal for all of us. To hook and then try and help improve these posters instead of making the climb the giant ego endangering mountain that begins with "You're an idiot!" We've seen many, many, (what appeared to be) experienced medics that couldn't do it. I thinks it's foolish to assume a noob basic is going to manage very often.

It's easy to say, "Well, if they can't stand a little criticism then they don't belong in EMS!" But they are entering the field with or without the help of the many really smart folks here. So that battle cry, no matter how passionate and sincere rings hollow when we judge it's potential to be productive, right?

But, how to be honest and productive without being at least a little bit intimidating? Yeah...man.....I have no idea.

Dwayne

I would suggest you review how you study, what your studying and enviroment you study in. Are you studying in an enviroment with a lot of distractions? Do you just glance over the materiel or seriously go back and re read/review the text. Don't over think the questions. ABC's first. Attitude, regardless what this test is, minimun standards whatever, what is your attitude? Do you feel you know absolutely everything and this test is a joke. Or do you feel you were educated and learned the basics of emergency care? If you have been given all the study aids available and given it a serious shot and you have failed twice and the third time is not looking good, EMS is not for you.

Good Luck

It's really really difficult to get a feel for someone's honest intentions on an anonymous board. I'm all for helping and giving advice..trying to "hook" them, if you will. A lot of it has to do with presentation of posts. For example, this one asked for ways to get through a test easier after failing it twice. There has been solid advice given, tips to studying and websites given. Thats really all any of us CAN do, the rest is up to the OP. It has to be something that they truly want.

Yes, EMS has a habit of eating its young instead of nurturing them. I get that. But it also has a way of weeding out the ones that really dont want an EMS career and just really want the certificate for the fire dept....cause, well....thats where all the glory is ya know?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to post here, but I thought I'd jump in and give my opinion from a student perspective. As a disclaimer though, my only knowledge of what the NREMT exams consist of are from friends I have from the United States (I live in Canada). So take what you want from this.

I can say with confidence that many people have been able to pass the NREMT-B exams. I don't have an opinion of the exam itself as I've never taken it. Obviously however, it's not impossible.

I know a few people that simply have trouble with written exams, no matter the format or subject matter. I've read over a few NREMT-B practice tests a while back a friend sent me the link to, just to see what the similiarities and differences are to the exams in BC. It seemed quite simplistic, but I've never had trouble with written exams.

If what you've said is true, that your trouble with the exam is focused more on how it's presented, perhaps you could learn more about the common mistakes people make on multiple choice questions (any M/C questions, not just those EMS related) and work from there.

I found this non-EMS resource from a University of Wisconsin geography class. It provides some good information to those that have trouble with multiple choice exams. Don't stop with that one only however, I'm sure there are other resources available somewhere as well. http://www.uwec.edu/geography/ivogeler/multiple.htm

I digress however, Dwayne made some very good points as did many of the others. Your attitude seems like you're looking to blame an established exam for your failure. Don't blame the exam or anything else. Focus on the facts: you failed, now you have to figure out why you failed, correct the problems (ie., study), and pass it the next time around.

I remember something one of my instructors told me a while back: "If you find the answer, use it unless you are absolutely sure it's not the correct one. We're wired to get it right the first time." Which is absolutely true.

Good luck on the exam the next time around!

All the best,

B. Anderson

• Like 1

Unfortunately, as usually happens in these threads we're now talking only to ourselves.

He's not looking to be a professional EMT. He came for the magic bullet to pass the test without understanding the material and has no interest in participating further.

I really, really wish I had a trick for hooking these folks. If I had the right words to make them understand, like many here did for me, instead of chasing them off then I think I might actually do some good.

I think that that is the challenge, and should be the goal for all of us. To hook and then try and help improve these posters instead of making the climb the giant ego endangering mountain that begins with "You're an idiot!" We've seen many, many, (what appeared to be) experienced medics that couldn't do it. I thinks it's foolish to assume a noob basic is going to manage very often.

It's easy to say, "Well, if they can't stand a little criticism then they don't belong in EMS!" But they are entering the field with or without the help of the many really smart folks here. So that battle cry, no matter how passionate and sincere rings hollow when we judge it's potential to be productive, right?

But, how to be honest and productive without being at least a little bit intimidating? Yeah...man.....I have no idea.

Dwayne

Actually Dwayne, he stopped posting because I am helping him with his testing and review. I'm giving him the Captain Kickass school of EMT REfreshers.

He's currently tasked with reviewing the body systems and operations section of his book and then I will test him with the test materials that I was able to get from a couple of friends as well as the Kaplan Pass EMT Book.

He is a good guy, has been out of a job for over a year along with other personal dynamics.

I've offered to pay for his next sitting of the national registry which would be his last attempt so we are taking this slow and working on it methodically.

Michael

Actually Dwayne, he stopped posting because I am helping him with his testing and review. I'm giving him the Captain Kickass school of EMT REfreshers.

He's currently tasked with reviewing the body systems and operations section of his book and then I will test him with the test materials that I was able to get from a couple of friends as well as the Kaplan Pass EMT Book.

He is a good guy, has been out of a job for over a year along with other personal dynamics.

I've offered to pay for his next sitting of the national registry which would be his last attempt so we are taking this slow and working on it methodically.

Michael

Good on you Mike, but your post pretty much confirms my previous thoughts.

Many people showed up to give him advice, but as expected from his looking for testing 'tricks', he couldn't be bothered to participate in the thread when the advice got more real world than 'tricky.'

I'm not sure your motivation for running a private EMT course for a guy that can't be bothered with the NRCBT, or even worse, with simple professional courtesies....but, good luck man....

You wanna really help him? Then before you pay for his testing add 30 productive posts on the City to the curriculum. After all, professional conduct and intelligent communication are the cornerstones of good EMS, right? He's shown no ability nor interest in either so far.

If you say he's a good guy, then I certainly believe you, but he really, really needs to step up to the plate here. You've got a big heart, but he needs to make some effort to stand on his own as well.

You seem to be doing what you claim to hate in EMS schools, which is prepping him for the test while allowing him to continue to be just another poser. While I'm not sure how big of a favor that is for him, I know that it is a disservice to EMS.

All comments, though maybe a bit harsh, meant with respect to both of you.

Dwayne

Good on you Mike, but your post pretty much confirms my previous thoughts.

Many people showed up to give him advice, but as expected from his looking for testing 'tricks', he couldn't be bothered to participate in the thread when the advice got more real world than 'tricky.'

I'm not sure your motivation for running a private EMT course for a guy that can't be bothered with the NRCBT, or even worse, with simple professional courtesies....but, good luck man....

You wanna really help him? Then before you pay for his testing add 30 productive posts on the City to the curriculum. After all, professional conduct and intelligent communication are the cornerstones of good EMS, right? He's shown no ability nor interest in either so far.

If you say he's a good guy, then I certainly believe you, but he really, really needs to step up to the plate here. You've got a big heart, but he needs to make some effort to stand on his own as well.

You seem to be doing what you claim to hate in EMS schools, which is prepping him for the test while allowing him to continue to be just another poser. While I'm not sure how big of a favor that is for him, I know that it is a disservice to EMS.

All comments, though maybe a bit harsh, meant with respect to both of you.

Dwayne

No disrepect seen there

What I am doing for him is what I would do for anyone who asked for my help

I'm having him study each section of his book and then I'll be giving him a test. If he doesn't pass it then he has to retake a different test. He has to prove mastery of the material in my eyes before we move on to the next section. That's how people learn right? They prove mastery in one section before moving on to the next right???

I'm in no way allowing him to be a poser, it's his intention to either post to our forums or not. I don't think that that makes him more needy in my eyes if he posts 30 posts here at the city. I can tell you that he is without internet at home and has been using his phone to take my tests.

What I'm doing is providing him a avenue to basically go through his emt class again by studying and then being tested on the material from that section. I'm in no way giving him a magic bullet to pass the registry.

He will recieve a final exam based on the sources I have. I can't give him a real emt class but I can give him the tools that he needs to study and learn the material again as necessary.

The help I am giving him is no different than any of the help that was offered to him on the thread but I am giving him a chance to learn systematically the material he should have learned by now.

There is a number of other dynamics that you really aren't privy to in our discussions and unfortunately you have made some generalizations that just aren't true. He really has the drive to pass the test and then move on to paramedic school.

Financially he is unable to afford purchasing the NRCBT that was offered and if given the financial means to purchase that CBT then he would have done it but he is unable to financially afford anything other than the necessities until he can come up with a job.

I offered to pay for his test but the offer was contingent upon his passing the tests that I sent him.

I really don't need to explain any more my motivations but I wish that back in the day I had this type of group to help me as well as someone "like me (not tooting own horn)" that would make the effort to help me succeed. I didn't have that at the time and I struggled with passing due to significant testing anxiety issues.

*****************************************************NEW Response**********************************************************

This damn systems quote/reply system. The below was supposed to start a whole new response but the system apparantly won't allow me to do that. Here is what I meant to say.

If my request for help was answered in the way it was on some of the responses I would not return either and this response is in no way meant to be disrespectful of any of those who I refer too. Just a observation as my respect for the members is quite huge actually

I would not return to EMTCity because three reply specifically

Dwaynes post - accusing him of just wanting the patch to be a firefighter

Lones post comparing this kid to the lowest common denominator in EMS classes

and the final post saying that the person can't believe how people still fail emt class

With those responses I would consider those above as ASSHOLES and would not want to come back.

Yes your responses were sent with educating the newbie and giving them a real world response but seriously, one could construe that with being accused of the above from respected members of this forum I might not come back either.

Maybe he's a tad bit thin skinned but he's new, young and probably hasn't had a come to jesus meeting or discussion the likes of a Dwaynian or Lonestarian tell it like it is.

Re-read the responses from the eyes of a brand new emt student or one who is already distressed enough about failing the test twice and let me know how he might have felt that there wasn't any purpose of his being here asking questions.

There is no dis-respect intended in this response but can't you see how this might have come across as "you are stupid therefore go away"

Edited by Captain Kickass

Everyone starts somewhere, and we certainly aren't perfect. I also admire and thank you for helping him out. If all works out, that'll be one more dedicated health care professional. Best of luck to the both of you.

I agree, the EMS profession can seem intimidating from the beginning (albeit, I'm still beginning myself) and it might be so intimidating for some to push them away from it all together. You have to remember that EMS is about the patients and the care they receive. When you enter a profession where real human lives are on the line, one has to expect a bit of hard honesty. At least that's how I look at it.

All the best,

B. Anderson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.