Third times the charm?

Hi everyone,

Having some trouble jumping though the final hoop to get into the field, the NREMT exam is whooping my ass thus far. My first attempt I didnt study much at all I had just graduated basic school so i figure i would be ok, test felt good and it shut off at 94 to my surpise i was below passing in everything except operations which i was near passing. I took some time and study harder then I ever had (not cramming I took two and a half weeks to perpare) with a book my mom found for me to try. Questions were tougher this time but still it felt good but it shut down at 74, i was below passing in everything but operations again.

Its frustrating as hell, i feel like the NREMT test tests your reading comprehension ability and spelling more than medical knowledge i.e i came across three questions that all the M/C awnsers were the same thing just they were all spelled differently, what kinda s--t is that?!

So now for my third attempt i got a different book that three people from my class used to pass and im going to take even longer to study. Another thing a friend heard to try is to turn the reading aid on so its read to me, cause everyone who has helped me study noticed that when the questions are read to me i do better than when im reading them to myself.

I just wonder if theres anything else i might try or any tricks that guys and gals have found to pass this evil test I know theres a million of NREMT-B test theads on here but i just want to see for myself what other people who have made it thought have to say. Its a pride thing ya know, its a big knock to the ole self esteem to fail over and over again, people are starting to joke im like spongebob trying to get his drivers licence (thank you to whoever gets that reference) and i hate that. If you have an ideas send them my way please

Edited by ColinW

Having the knowledge and passign tests are two things. Train both.

Take a test like you take a call: assess the "patient" (read the text of each question carefully, don't oversee typical and not so typical signs, get the whole picture) and make your "differential diagnosis" (read all possible answers, not only the very first fitting one), then decide for the correct one and...be fast. So, it's just like any multiple victim scenario. :)

You can train taking such tests. There are books about, maybe even a test training book for exactly this exam or even exactly your EMS book. Maybe you can get hands on old tests of the same style, then you should practise them over and over to get familiar with the wording.

Think over why you failed - you read too slow, you were too nervous, you mixed up answers? Remember what causes this stress (hint: parasympathetiic reactions have a lot to do with that). Training test situation may help: just sit down for your own testing like in the real test (desk clear, pencil available, time set, start with writing your name/id on it, ...).

Maybe you have to adjust your strategy before the test a bit, getting enough sleep or so. This is individual, you have some experience from your other tests, but now - especially when you're nervous - it's getting more and more important.

Regarding reading aids or such - I personally tend to get more distracted with any aid, but that you have to try for yourself, too. If it helps, why not - but try to check it out, not to get confused. Maybe you really have some form of dyslexia and can get more time for passing a written exam?

Analyse your situation and optimise. You already did...maybe some of the above or a training book about taking such tests (they exist!) may help. Good luck next time!

• Like 1

I amost hesitate jumping into this discussion, however, this is what I tell my students:

• Read the question, and then close your eyes and answer the question in your head.
  • Look for the correct answer in those that are listed for you

There are cases in which two of the answers may seem right, but there is ALWAYS one answer that is better than all of the others presented. Remember this. YOUR SAFETY, the ABC's, and Life threats... answer in that order...if airway is a possibility in the answer, then re-read the question to see if that answer fits.

Good Luck!

AC

I took my NREMT exam within the first week of being done with school and got below passing on everything but operations, I maybe studied two days. The school I went to provided us with this computer program called JB learning. They have like practice quizzes in each category of the NREMT exam and also a final exam. The questions are very similar to the nat. reg. Whats good about the quizzes is that you can choose how many questions you want in each category and when you select your answer it will tell you if you got it right or wrong along with the correct answer and reasons why it was incorrect. So instead of just getting the answer wrong you get an explanation as to why. Anyways after waiting about two and a half weeks and taking the practice tests and final, I re took my NREMT and passed! WOO lol. JB learning says you have a 98% chance in passing national reg. if you get a 70% or above on the final they have, I had gotten a 74% I think and passed national registry. So i would def look into getting that, it helped me and all the other people in my class. Hope that was some help :)

I also used JB learning as a study aid. I agree that it is worth the money as the questions are close to the same as national registry.

My biggest help, I think, was John Puryear(sp?). He has a CD that goes over pretty much everything. It was so great for me. I put it in my car and listened to it for months before the test. He uses little stories to help you remember things and that worked really well for me. He also does in person classes with a high passing rate on the NR though I can't tell you anything about that.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by medicgirl05

I took my NREMT exam within the first week of being done with school and got below passing on everything but operations, I maybe studied two days. The school I went to provided us with this computer program called JB learning. They have like practice quizzes in each category of the NREMT exam and also a final exam. The questions are very similar to the nat. reg. Whats good about the quizzes is that you can choose how many questions you want in each category and when you select your answer it will tell you if you got it right or wrong along with the correct answer and reasons why it was incorrect. So instead of just getting the answer wrong you get an explanation as to why. Anyways after waiting about two and a half weeks and taking the practice tests and final, I re took my NREMT and passed! WOO lol. JB learning says you have a 98% chance in passing national reg. if you get a 70% or above on the final they have, I had gotten a 74% I think and passed national registry. So i would def look into getting that, it helped me and all the other people in my class. Hope that was some help :)

Ive never heard of JB learning, ill look into it though. I just dont get how well i did in school and all but me and two others in my class have gotten their licence and are in the field. I had a 94% in the class i was 5th overall just dont get it.

I also used JB learning as a study aid. I agree that it is worth the money as the questions are close to the same as national registry.

My biggest help, I think, was John Puryear(sp?). He has a CD that goes over pretty much everything. It was so great for me. I put it in my car and listened to it for months before the test. He uses little stories to help you remember things and that worked really well for me. He also does in person classes with a high passing rate on the NR though I can't tell you anything about that.

Edited for grammar.

Also interesting ill look into it as well

Edited by ColinW

Your attitude is wrong to begin with Brother.

If you got a 94% in your class using spelling, grammar and punctuation like you use here then your class sucked. They set you up for failure not just on the test but certainly in the field.

You think it's bullshit that they expect you to be able to read and understand 8th grade level questions? It's not. There are far to many wankers in this business already and from everything that you've posted it seems clear that you are happy to be yet another one instead of trying to raise your game.

The NR tests for the minimum standard to enter EMS, a standard that most consider well below acceptable. Yet you want to try and find tricks to make it easier still.

If you can't pass the NR, and you're failing every section other than operations, then you are not ready for EMS and don't belong in an ambulance, or in this case, I'm guessing that you're real goal is a firetruck as Operations seems to be the only thing that you're interested in.

You need to step back from this for a few minutes man and stop wishing that the test was easier and instead wish that you were better. It is truly a childishly simple test. You need to sack up, take a long look, and see if you really want to be a professional EMT or if you just want to be another hosemonkey with a patch.

Get committed, decide to be a real professional EMT, and I promise you that in the future you will laugh, and be disgusted, at how simple this test really is.

Dwayne

• Like 2

The NR test for EMT-B does indeed test at the minimum level. The reason you got shut off at 94 is because the computer program was giving you a chance to redem yourself...which you obviously didnt. It then shut off at 74 because there was no chance of redeeming yourself. You did that badly. Instead of looking for the easy way out...read your book. Go back over your tests. Get a study buddy and then...oh yeah...study!

EMT-basic is a cake walk. It boggles the mind how people can actually fail it.

• Like 1

This is why I believe that the NREMT needs to stop catering to the lowest common denominator, or at least raise the level of said denominator!

EMT-B isn't rocket science, and it's amazing how many people are having so much trouble with the mere basics of life support....

What I find frightening, is these people who bomb out on the NREMT exams ALWAYS want to blame 'the test'; rather than place the blame precisely where it belongs....on THEIR own shoulders.

How LONG you study isn’t the issue here, its HOW you study that seems to be the issue.

If reading and comprehension is where the issue lies, then by all means, enroll in a remedial reading/English/language course and bring that skill level up to par before you try to get into a technical field where knowledge is obtained from reading, along with critical thinking.

EMS is NEVER about ‘the book says’, nor is it regurgitation of information on command. EMS is a dynamic field that REQUIRES it’s practitioners to be able to think on their feet and be able to use critical thinking skills to reach an accurate differential diagnosis at the patient’s side.

The EMS clinician must be dedicated more to patient care than they are concerned about bopping around in a big shiny truck with flashy lights and a really loud noise maker, or how cool they look with a stethoscope draped around their neck.

People’s lives are in your hands, and you OWE it to them AND yourself to either make the grade, take the blame when you don’t or get out of the field. This field is loaded with ‘glory hounds’ and ‘wannabes’, and all it does is make it more difficult for those ‘rock-star clinicians’ that are trying to make a real difference; not only in their patients lives, but in the field of EMS in general.

Having some trouble jumping though the final hoop to get into the field, the NREMT exam is whooping my ass thus far. My first attempt I didnt study much at all I had just graduated basic school so i figure i would be ok, test felt good and it shut off at 94 to my surpise i was below passing in everything except operations which i was near passing.

Just what is 'near passing'?

Does that mean you 'just made the minimum passing grade' or that you 'missed it by |_____| that much'?

* Edited to include quote and comments associated with it

Edited by Lone Star

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.