Preparing for an EMT class

scollins1191

Get a Galls catalog, a good set of EMT pants, and get everything that will fit into your pockets!!!

Just kidding. I just finished my EMT-B class about a week ago. Things I would recommend:

1. PAY ATTENTION! "Empty your cup", as one of my other instructors would say. I don't care what you know going into the class, be prepared to modify/ supplement it with this new information.

2. READ YOUR BOOK! Don't just go by lectures. It took my class probably 2-3 quizzes to realize that the teacher was including information from the chapters as well as his lectures. This stuff isn't just there to bore you, it's there because you need to know it. Glascow Coma Scale, "Rule of 9s" (infant, child, and adult), normal vital ranges, pharmacology... this is all stuff that your teacher will probably glance over, but it's thinks you'll need to know.

3. VOLUNTEER! When in class, or on your clinicals, if someone comes up looking for a volunteer to do an exercise, do it. When you're doing your third-rides, jump in and get your hands dirty. Take over compressions, hell... offer to wipe down the cot after you drop off the pt.

4. ASK QUESTIONS! There is no such thing as a dumb question, except the one you don't ask. Over the next few (15?) weeks, you'll get to know your classmates. You'll be a tight group. You'll succeed together, you'll fail together. There's no point in NOT learning something because you're afraid to embarrass yourself in front of them.

5. GEAR UP! Ok, the Galls catalog thing was a joke, but not really. I would definitely get a comfortable pair of EMS pants (5.11 or Propper are nice), and a comfortable set of boots (I have the Magnum Stealth 6" Side-zips). Also, get a decent stethoscope. I'm not talking about a Littman Electronic (unless you've got money coming out your butt, in which case, buy me one too), but a decent scope. Littman Classics are pretty good, and you can find them for ~$50. When you go to buy your penlight, get a cheapo 6 pack of the plastic ones off Amazon or something. Nothing will piss you off more than when you spend big bucks on a piece of gear and you lose it your first day out. BTW, if anyone finds a Streamlight pen light, please PM me.

Third Rides: Pack a lunch, bring something to read, or bring your Gameboy/PSP, along with your books and your gear. I'm just outside of Detroit in a busy area, and I had a whopping 7 calls over 24 hours.

Other than that, learn. Enjoy your learning. Network with your teachers and your classmates. Eventually you might have to work with them, so you might as well get to know them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

My EMT class is starting in about two weeks, are there any last minute things I should do to prepare for the class? Or any advice for preparing for the class?

Just chill before the stress begins... ;)

Other than that - look up CPhT`s post.

ASK QUESTIONS! There is no such thing as a dumb question

Well actually I've taught a couple of emt's and medics who indeed did ask a dumb question. There are some people out there who you cannot cure of Stupid.

ASK QUESTIONS! There is no such thing as a dumb question

Well actually I've taught a couple of emt's and medics who indeed did ask a dumb question. There are some people out there who you cannot cure of Stupid.

Good point. There are always the ones who you wish would just become LPNs and stay away from EMS altogether.

Good point. There are always the ones who you wish would just become LPNs and stay away from EMS altogether.

But those are the ones who will come to you at the scene of a multi patient trauma incident and tell you they are a nurse and begin to help you thus bringing the scene which originally was one of controlled chaos to a full cluster fuck of mother nature proportions.

You can please reassure us that you don't buy into that "even firefighters need heroes" stuff that you've felt necessary to throw into your sig line. EMS is not about being a hero. EMS is a job. At times it's a tough job that is emotionally draining. At times it's a tough job that is emotionally draining on the providers *and* their families. Sometimes we do our jobs well and our patients live to play another day. Sometimes it doesn't matter what we do and our patients die.

You can also please remember that this is about patients. It's not about lights and sirens. It's not about driving fast and blowing through traffic. This is about doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons with the best interests of your patient in mind. Do not get sucked into the indestructable mentality that many of your classmates will demonstrate.

This is not intended to be harsh. But it seems so many get involved in EMS for the wrong reasons. The more you know up front the better off you will be.

Good luck.

edit: spelling correction

Edited by paramedicmike

You can please reassure us that you don't buy into that "even firefighters need heroes" stuff that you've felt necessary to throw into your sig line. EMS is not about being a hero. EMS is a job. At times it's a tough job that is emotionally draining. At times it's a tough job that is emotionally draining on the providers *and* their families. Sometimes we do our jobs well and our patients live to play another day. Sometimes it doesn't matter what we do and our patients die.

You can also please remember that this is about patients. It's not about lights and sirens. It's not about driving fast and blowing through traffic. This is about doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons with the best interests of your patient in mind. Do not get sucked into the indestructable mentality that many of your classmates will demonstrate.

This is not intended to be harsh. But it seems so many get involved in EMS for the wrong reasons. The more you know up front the better off you will be.

Good luck.

edit: spelling correction

So Mike, If his signature line says even firefighters need heros, just who are the heros to firefighters? I mean if you listen to the mantra and vomited back up rhetoric from those who hold firefighters in the highest esteem which puts fire fighters on this pedestal that no-one other than other firefighters can attain, just who would the hero's be for firefighters.