Have you been sexually assaulted ?

romneyfor2012

Have you been sexually assaulted (includes rape)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. I am a woman who..............

• Has Been Sexually Assaulted At Least Once
    • Has Been Sexually Assaulted More Than Once
    • Has Never Been Sexually Assaulted
  2. 2. I am a man who ...................

• Has Been Sexually Assaulted At Least Once
    • Has Been Sexually Assaulted More Than Once
    • Has Never Been Sexually Assaulted

New study shows that nearly 1 in 4 women have been sexually assaulted or raped, and 1 in 70 men have too. I do not expect you to talk about it, but the poll results could be interesting. Please vote.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2011/p1214_sexual_violence.html

http://goodmenproject.com/good-feed-blog/new-cdc-study-on-sexual-assault/

Yeah, man, though I think it's interesting, I don't really see how much good information can come out of it without defining sexual assault.

The attitudes are so diverse and varied, especially in this day and age.

Babs was telling me about watching Dr. Phil about a woman with a broken foot that wouldn't have sex with her husband, using that as an excuse. He pressured her until finally she said, "Fine! If I just lay here with my legs spread will you be happy??" He said (all paraphrased and hearsay of course.) "Well, if that's all I can get." and did his thing.

She has been in rape counseling now for 5 years. Babs was outraged as she said the show ended up with Dr. Shithead saying, "You realize you're a rapist, right? and the guys saying, "Well, I never thought of it as rape, but I guess I'm a rapist.." What bullshit.

Also, are you looking for anyone that's been touched in any way that's made them uncomfortable at any time in their life? 'Cause hasn't everyone?

Not trying to ruin your thread brother, as I think it's really interesting, just giving my thoughts on how it might give information that most of us can put into context.

Dwayne

I think the issues is beyond me to define, but that sounds like an excellent starting point.

Did you get the poll fixed?

My answer would be Male/More than once. But all childhood stuff, so not sure if it applies.

Dwayne

Edit: I see that you did, and voted.

Not too sure that people who have been truly abused came to this site of healthcare professionals to be reminded of thier painful traumatic experience for the entertainment or curiosity of a few members.

Dunno..... Just seems like the wrong place and crowd.

I also wonder... what's the purpose of this thread? For all of us to look around and see how broken we are/were? Does psychological abuse surrounding the issue of sex count? What about people who have been assaulted, but have processed it and are now OK with their past?

Just wondering where we're going with this, tbh. I don't want to answer the poll until I get a better idea of what this is all about. I also don't want to write much free text, either...

Also, the binary is a little too constricting ;-) What about folks like my friend who is transgender, female biologic, male psychologic/gender identity? Just sayin'...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You know, when Romney first became a member I expected to hate him because of his 'in your face' political screen name/avatar, but that's been far from the case.

He's participated in every type of thread and his posts are intelligent and well considered.

I'm not sure what his point is either, perhaps he has none that matters to anyone but him, or maybe it will be made clear later. Either way it seems to me to be placed in the correct forum for either purpose.

Eydawn, I'm not sure how you can say, "I don't see the point" and then, "The scope seems wrong" as if you don't see the point then I'm not sure how any of us can know what the scope should be?

Mobes, those that have been truly sexually assaulted, in my opinion, have dealt, are dealing, have chosen not to deal with their issues, whichever option, it's hard to believe that bumping into this poll based on one article out of a gazillion is going to push them over the edge.

Personally I think that this is a great 'place and crowd' as I'm confident that my past is part of the catalyst that thrust me into EMS.

But whether I think it's good or not, or you think it's good or not, I don't think that purposely torpedoing his thread is productive in any way. It's an anonymous poll. You can choose an option or not. No 'free text' was asked for, nor expected.

Participate or not, but how about if we just let him roll and see what happens?

Dwayne