Dopamine Drip calculation

FireEMT2009

One problem with pumps is finding one that is durable for typical field use. There are some, but not all.

We use the Alaris 3 channel pump but it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain parts for them as the military has them all! Granted, we use them in the Critical care arena and not EMS, but I have used a syringe pump as well as the Alaris when I've had 4 medication drips. Perhaps a syringe pump might be a better option for EMS.

If I have anymore than 4 drips, I have to use the hospitals pump and bring it back after the transport. They're usually not to happy about it, but what can we do.

Edited by JakeEMTP

Same here and they are a nightmare to deal with sometimes. I find this to be especially true on flights where there are significant changes in altitude. Even the smallest bubble seems to shut the "minimed" down.

I ended up using syringe drivers in Afghanistan and have had great experiences, anecdotal as they may be however.

Same here and they are a nightmare to deal with sometimes. I find this to be especially true on flights where there are significant changes in altitude. Even the smallest bubble seems to shut the "minimed" down.

I ended up using syringe drivers in Afghanistan and have had great experiences, anecdotal as they may be however.

That's true. I don't have enough digits to count how many times the minimed alarms "Patient side occluded" or "Air in the system". The Syringe pump is a great tool and I actually like using it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.