Texas EMT's?

bleve

I think that maximum protocol regulations are determined by the state and then can be adjusted down from there by individual services, right? Dwayne

You talking about Texas only Dwayne? Cause this is not the case in many states...

You talking about Texas only Dwayne? Cause this is not the case in many states...

No, was referencing Toni's post saying that it isn't like that in Texas. It was my understanding that the state always sets the maximum standards and then services/medical directors accept or remove items at will...

I don't really have any idea when or where I came to believe that, but it looks like I was off in the ditch.

Dwayne

Seems like if the state set maximum standards then the scope for Paramedics would be similar to that of a PA or even a physician...no?

Many states set minimum standards and allow the medical director to titrate up for maximum effect.

• 5 weeks later...

You should be more interested in the company or service you work for. In Texas because of limited numbers of EMT-b's, I's, and paramedics. The department of state health doesnt exactly have a scope of practice. It's all up to your medical director you practice under. You have places such as midland,TX who run with basically ACLS drugs along with the basics. Very very limited. In northern Houston you have medics that are initiating/completing clearing c-spine, preparing a pt for hypothermic therapies, administering thrombolytics for MI and DVT patients. You also have small towns such as presidio who have EMT basics doing chest decompressions, IV's, drug administration, EKG interpretations. With medics performing chest tubes, foley catheters, and use of 50 narcotic and 200 other drugs on their box. And to all who work in Texas please correct me if I'm wrong if this information is misleading. Simply put with a doctor who will administer the order and stand behind you. Their is nothing you cannot do.

I would like to add that in those areas where you do more than your trained for by NREMT standards you will generally have extensive training into each procedure you learn. In some places I've known of services that require you to sit in front of your medical director and complete a oral and psyco motor exam prior to being signed off.

You should be more interested in the company or service you work for. In Texas because of limited numbers of EMT-b's, I's, and paramedics. The department of state health doesnt exactly have a scope of practice. It's all up to your medical director you practice under. You have places such as midland,TX who run with basically ACLS drugs along with the basics. Very very limited. In northern Houston you have medics that are initiating/completing clearing c-spine, preparing a pt for hypothermic therapies, administering thrombolytics for MI and DVT patients. You also have small towns such as presidio who have EMT basics doing chest decompressions, IV's, drug administration, EKG interpretations. With medics performing chest tubes, foley catheters, and use of 50 narcotic and 200 other drugs on their box. And to all who work in Texas please correct me if I'm wrong if this information is misleading. Simply put with a doctor who will administer the order and stand behind you. Their is nothing you cannot do.

I would like to add that in those areas where you do more than your trained for by NREMT standards you will generally have extensive training into each procedure you learn. In some places I've known of services that require you to sit in front of your medical director and complete a oral and psyco motor exam prior to being signed off.

Propably that was an exaggeration to prove your point, that the differences are huge.

But in case it`s not - 50 narcotics and 200 drugs? I doubt that....

Actually that number is correct. I have a highscool buddy whom is a emt basic for presidio.

He called me in shock after doing his inventory with his medic

I struggle to imagine that many narcotics on a rig and that many other drugs....

Actually, I call bullshit on that - or that is a very sickly overindulging business....

No offense, though.

Edited by Vorenus

I could ask him for the protocols. Their should be a drug list on their right?

None taken. Its Not the service I work for. I work transfer

Edited by Mike Ellis

I like to think our SOCs are pretty progressive and we only carry 4 narcs (fentanyl, morphine, diazepam, midazolam) + 37 other drugs and that includes our NS and O2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.