Hello all..

I recently came over from www.emtlife.com and I have been having questions regarding the NREMT-B and all I get over there is the opportunity to be belittled, disrespected and embarrassed when all I asked for was a little advice/help/pointers about taking the NR.

So, I know this may be a repost, but I am just looking for answers right now.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, thank you!

My question would have to be what should I do more fluently to prepare for the test, as I do not test that well, and I have already taken the NREMT and was unsuccessful so I know what type of question I am to expect.

Right now I am doing a test booklet, exactly like the NREMT. Reviewing my classroom booklet.

Thank you.

Reviewing your information is good, but understanding how the NR exam is written may also be of some help?

I've posted somewhere here before, but this is my take on the exam:

1. Schedule the test for when you are at your best.
  2. Get a good nights sleep the evening before. No partying...no booze...etc.
  3. As is always suggested, eat a good, solid, protein based meal prior to going in.
  4. Go in with confidence.
  5. As you begin the test, read each question thoroughly.
  6. Then, read each answer thoroughly. You can usually throw out two answers pretty quickly.
  7. Between the remaining two options, reread the question to determine exactly what it is they are looking for. Was it the MOST or the LEAST...was it NOT? Sometimes these words can trip you up.
  8. As you look to respond, think about what you learned and in what order. Remember your ABCs.
  9. Don't make it harder than it is.
  10. And, understand your test anxieties and figure out how to get around them. You know they exist...you can't not take the test...so you'll have to work this one out on your own.

I hope this is what you are looking for. If not, be more specific and we will see what we can do.

Toni

• Like 2

You know Toni when I took my basic we had a guy come in and teach us that, and I use it still. He claimed that it raised class score averages by around 14%, though I have no idea how he came up with that number.

And I have certainly found all of that advice to be true. In multiple choice there almost always, maybe always, a 'throw away' and a, in his words, 'distracter.' Uncover them and you are down to 50/50.

I truly believe that freaking out is what causes most failed tests. You have to remember that it is a terribly simple test. Look at the people that you've seen that have taken it an passed. There are a lot of chuckleheads in that group, right?

Relax Brother. You're only going to use a small amount of the time available to take the test...you practically have all day.

You got ridiculed at the other site? I've never known of that to be a very hardcore site, though I've not been there more than once or twice in the last several years...maybe they've sacked up since then..

Dwayne

• Like 1

I'd like to think that we all kinda know what "gets" us. For me...my mind wanders. So, I've helped to "quell the voices" by chewing gum while studying...and then when taking my test. (FYI, the other thing suggested is that however you will take the test, that is how you should study. Ergo, if you know it will be quiet, then you should study in a quiet environment. If you know there will be lots of distractions, set up your study time to include distractions...for me, it would be laundry...damned buzzer.)

The other thing I have a tendency to do is read the question and stop when I get to the first answer I believe is correct. I had to train myself to put down the pen/pencil/mouse, read the question THOROUGHLY, read ALL answers and then make my choice.

While I like to think I am a smart cookie...I'm not a genius by any means. But I can say that I passed all 4 NR-EMT exams (ECA, EMT-B, EMT-I and paramedic) first time out. :D

edited for grammar - need another cup of coffee...

Edited by tcripp

Reviewing your information is good, but understanding how the NR exam is written may also be of some help?

I've posted somewhere here before, but this is my take on the exam:

1. Schedule the test for when you are at your best.
  2. Get a good nights sleep the evening before. No partying...no booze...etc.
  3. As is always suggested, eat a good, solid, protein based meal prior to going in.
  4. Go in with confidence.
  5. As you begin the test, read each question thoroughly.
  6. Then, read each answer thoroughly. You can usually throw out two answers pretty quickly.
  7. Between the remaining two options, reread the question to determine exactly what it is they are looking for. Was it the MOST or the LEAST...was it NOT? Sometimes these words can trip you up.
  8. As you look to respond, think about what you learned and in what order. Remember your ABCs.
  9. Don't make it harder than it is.
  10. And, understand your test anxieties and figure out how to get around them. You know they exist...you can't not take the test...so you'll have to work this one out on your own.

I hope this is what you are looking for. If not, be more specific and we will see what we can do.

Toni

I do appreciate your advice.

My mind wonders also while taking test and I dont understand why in the world I couldn't eat a mint/gum while taking NR, lol. It's like prison!!!

You know Toni when I took my basic we had a guy come in and teach us that, and I use it still. He claimed that it raised class score averages by around 14%, though I have no idea how he came up with that number.

And I have certainly found all of that advice to be true. In multiple choice there almost always, maybe always, a 'throw away' and a, in his words, 'distracter.' Uncover them and you are down to 50/50.

I truly believe that freaking out is what causes most failed tests. You have to remember that it is a terribly simple test. Look at the people that you've seen that have taken it an passed. There are a lot of chuckleheads in that group, right?

Relax Brother. You're only going to use a small amount of the time available to take the test...you practically have all day.

You got ridiculed at the other site? I've never known of that to be a very hardcore site, though I've not been there more than once or twice in the last several years...maybe they've sacked up since then..

Dwayne

Thanks!

I freak out during test even in secondary education.

I am trying to get over this test anxiety as best as I can.

YES! At that site they have to somehow, someway think they are above you if they passed NR and you have yet too.

So I found my way to this site, seems mellow and A LOT more helpful.

I do appreciate your advice.

My mind wonders also while taking test and I dont understand why in the world I couldn't eat a mint/gum while taking NR, lol. It's like prison!!!

Thanks!

I freak out during test even in secondary education.

I am trying to get over this test anxiety as best as I can.

YES! At that site they have to somehow, someway think they are above you if they passed NR and you have yet too.

So I found my way to this site, seems mellow and A LOT more helpful.

Might seek professional counseling for the anxiety. Some people explain what is going on and their Doctor prescribes a mild sedative, usually only 2 pills one to try to see how it affects you and the second for the test.

Wow never heard anyone say we are the mellow site, normally people run away from here kicking and screaming that we are rude and stuck up know it alls plus many more descriptive words.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.