Re-introduction

EMSchick411

Hello again...

I have been a stranger to this site since July and never really became an active member, but I would like to change that! I am a certified EMT-B but have yet to start working in the medical field. Against all logical advice, I have decided to push forward and continue with paramedic training despite my lack of experience. I am about a quarter of the way through and I admit it has been a huge challenge as well as a struggle at times, most likely because I have chosen to take the course solely online. I am fighting the odds here, but I am determined to become an excellent paramedic, however long it may take. Thank you in advance to all who are reading this and who may be willing to guide me along my journey.

Here to stay,

Tamara

• Like 1

Yes, it exists. It is through a website called Trainingdivision.com. 80% of the course is done online at your own pace, and at the end of each semester, students are required to attend a 7 day hands-on skills class at the training center in Crowley, TX. After passing all the exams, we are then required to do the same amount of clinical rotations as any other program. Same books, same information, I am just presented with more of a challenge because I am basically teaching myself. This is a national program and students from all over the country travel to TX to complete the hands-on portion. I am fortunate enough to live only a few miles from the training center and can visit the instructors frequently when questions arise. I completely understand this being a questionable concept, but I can assure anyone with doubts that anyone who does not clearly comprehend the course work will not succeed. It is very difficult, but to be blunt, the program is designed to assure that no half-ass medics come out of it.

I have actually found some of my learning to have been better suited from online and hybrid courses than from "traditional" in-class settings... when I am able to not worry about class attendance, and have adequate venues for discussion of the material online, I do much better than dragging myself half-asleep to courses where an instructor reads me powerpoints and then assigns random "group activity" discussions that don't really facilitate much in the way of learning...

I would think, however, that paramedic courses are much more difficult than say, A&P or microbiology or developmental psychology... how is this setting treating you? Do you feel like you're getting a good in-depth understanding of the material, or are you memorizing to the test and not absorbing?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I am grateful for the opportunity to work at my own pace in a comfortable setting, considering I am the cliche single mom with a part time job, etc. ...But I do feel at times like I am just memorizing words and not absorbing the whole idea. I do well on chapter work, but when it comes to tests I feel lost and too often I just barely get by. A&P has been the longest and hardest chapter by far, and I relied solely on Google and Youtube videos to get me through that one. I have finally moved on which is a relief, but the biggest challenge is being disciplined enough to set aside X amount of time each day to really focus and do work. Most of my studying is done at 4AM before my kids wake up.

I'm not sure how I feel about the online course...but if you truly want to explore the medicine, instead of just read about it, you've certainly come to the right place.

Now to see if you really want to jump in an challenge yourself?

I hope you do...we can use more hot chicks here...To many old fat guys like me...

Good luck girl...be really aggressive with your time here and I think that you'll begin to see your material in a new, better, light.

Dwayne

Yes, it exists. It is through a website called Trainingdivision.com. 80% of the course is done online at your own pace, and at the end of each semester, students are required to attend a 7 day hands-on skills class at the training center in Crowley, TX. After passing all the exams, we are then required to do the same amount of clinical rotations as any other program. Same books, same information, I am just presented with more of a challenge because I am basically teaching myself. This is a national program and students from all over the country travel to TX to complete the hands-on portion. I am fortunate enough to live only a few miles from the training center and can visit the instructors frequently when questions arise. I completely understand this being a questionable concept, but I can assure anyone with doubts that anyone who does not clearly comprehend the course work will not succeed. It is very difficult, but to be blunt, the program is designed to assure that no half-ass medics come out of it.

Welcome to the forum! Do you have a link or any more information about your program? I went to the website but I only saw a paramedic refresher and ended up going in circles through their site.

There are several online courses for the didactic portion only of any EMT course. Training Division is one and Percom in another.

Dwayne, I understand your hesitance about such a course, but I will say that these courses are designed for a particular type of person. I personally don't think I could have excelled in such a program. But, as an instructor for said program, I have watched others do very well with NR pass rates to back that up.

I agree with you Dwayne, wayyyyyy to many old fat guys like us in EMS as a whole not just on here.

There are a couple hybrid classes like that here in Kansas as well as distance learning programs as well. They have had mixed success both with pass rates as well as quality of the medic produced. I have personally precepted for one program that I will never precept for again.

EMTchick,

Good luck read and be active in the forums. Ask questions as often as you need, Remember there are no stupid questions.

You will get out of your program exactly what you put in to it. As with most all of the others in the city I am happy to help in anyway i can.

Race

EDIT- Ohhhh and Welcome Back

Edited by RaceMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.