stroke? or something else?

What about leading up to the events...has he been ill lately? Again, what's his temp?

I asked about PMH wondering if he was diabetic and that 94 was relative for him...

Has this specific event occurred before?

And, did I miss it? How old is your patient?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

patient is 41 years old, hasnt been ill but has been stressed. his temp was normal 98.4 I think the nurse said. wife was unable to give me details about the breakdown in '98, just that he had one.

CM the BP was 150/100 when he was awake and the 142/90 was when he was out

OK.. now I am going to work on the differential for delirium.

was the patient in pain?

Were CT scans of head, urinary tract performed? What did they show?

has the patient untreated syphilis?

Is the patient a long term alcoholic?

Was a spinal puncture done?

.. and I am not ruling out TIA/CVA.. just don't think it's likely based on the title of your post

PS.. as far as I can tell, this is the differential

Common causes:

Dementia – nope – not long standing

Pain – not sure – was the patient in pain

Stroke/cerebrovascular accident and transient ischaemic attack – as suggested by your title, but unlikely because suggested by your title

Myocardial infarction – normal 12 lead – still possible

Acute systemic infection – patient afebrile

Hypoglycaemia- nope BGL 94

Hyperglycaemia – nope – as above

Hypoxia – I'm assuming because blood work was normal, arterial blood gases were too

Hypercarbia - nope as above

Acute urinary obstruction - possible

Medication- or illicit drug-related – possible but not likely from your on scene assessment

Alcoholic ketoacidosis – nope – blood work again

Hepatic encephalopathy – nope – normal hepatic and renal numbers

Renal failure – nope (blood work)

Hypernatraemia – nope (blood work)

Hyponatraemia – nope (blood work)

Hypercalcaemia – nope (blood work)

Meningitis/encephalitis – possible. Did the patient get spinal

Brain tumour – possible – what did the CT show

Post-ictal state – no seizure history – but possible new onset secondary to a lot of things

Uncommon

Traumatic head injury – any signs of trauma ?

Adrenal crisis– nope (blood work)

Thyrotoxicosis – nope (blood work)

Myxoedema – nope (blood work)

Brain abscess – possible – what did the CT show

Neurosyphilis – has the patient untreated syphilis?

Wernicke's encephalopathy – is he a long term alcoholic?

CT was normal. No lesions, bleeds or masses. No alcohol use.

Patients ECG was normal during the periods of unconsiousness. They lasted as long as I let them. ie: sternal rubs and yelling at him to wake up. Periods of being awake lasted a minute or so before he passed out again.

I gotta tell ya this guy had me stumped and asking what else I could do for him. Luckily transport time was about 5 minutes and we were on scene with him about 7 or 8...so 12 or 13 minutes from time of call to delivery at the ED.

I would lean towards TIA, but as others have said, since you lead with that in the title, I am guessing that is not the case. My second guess would be psychological since he has fairly normal vital signs. Third guess would be medication reaction (allergy meds). Fourth would be that he is taking something for his stress that you were not told about (legal med, illegal something, or alcohol). Fifth I would retest the glucose from the other hand and make sure that reading was correct. Lastly I would consider a seizure disorder, but I do not recall you stating that any activity was witnessed or if the patient was incontinent.