Grandpa has a gun!

DFIB

An external compartment would be a great idea that I hadn't though of. I was thinking of giving the gun to the driver and not allowing the grandson to ride along.

My concern with an outside compartment is that the outside compartments are often not locked, and having a firearm in an unlocked compartment is not a secured firearm.

My concern with an outside compartment is that the outside compartments are often not locked, and having a firearm in an unlocked compartment is not a secured firearm.

I assumed that AK meant in an external compartment that could be locked. I agree that if you can't lock it, you shouldn't put it there. As for defib with the gun still on the pt, that could be pretty interesting.

I wonder about that ERdoc .. primers are pressure sensitive not electronic and the ONLY weapon thats a safe weapon is one that has no shells in it and Breach OPEN .. the Kimber is an easy mag release .. most all sidearms "pointed away" in a couple of seconds can be unloaded .

No wait I take it ALL back ... just goggled the Kimber 9 mm .. that was mine, it just fell onto Grandpa when I was doing CPR ... sweet lil handgun that !

Edited by tniuqs

There exist many different types of hand guns with sometimes exotic methods of clearing. A Ruger Vaquero for example, has a different method of "clearing" than say a Sig P226. Clearly, we have different methods of dealing with this situation based on policy, comfort level, and so on. I would likely initiate transport and treatment, remove the holstered weapon and keep it in the holster, secure it in a compartment where we have constant eyes on, call for a law enforcement intercept at the hospital and let the officers take the weapon upon arrival.

Would there be enough energy passing through the firearm and resistance to heat up the bullet enough to cook it off?

EMS Myth Busters!

Maybe we can get crotchity or flaming to volunteer to be the "patient".

• Like 1

I am with everyone here. I have no problem with leaving the weapon in the holster but to me a secure weapon is a unloaded weapon.

If time permits I would prefer to unload and clear the weapon, If it has a slide lock I would open lock the chamber open. If it does not have a slide lock I would still clear the chamber and visually confirm no round in the chamber. I would probably store it in my pocket, an inside compartment or my bag. Once unloaded I could store it anywhere where it will not be stolen.

If I did not have time to unload the weapon for whatever reason I would store it in an inside compartment until the time I could unload it.

I would definitely clear the weapon before turning it over to LE or security,

I don't think the dfib shock would cook off the rounds but would remove the weapon if I knew it was there.

I'll chime in as the sane Canadian who is actually a little scared of guns (You know I luv ya Squint)

Outside of shooting a few gophers with a .22, I have never really handled one, and am not confident to do so safely.

Personally, I would leave it in the holster & cut the belt that held it in place. Then take the gun still in holster and lock it in exterior or interior cabinet. Point is, it is locked up.

I do realize that these few seconds, to a minute may in fact cause morbidity/mortality, but just as obeice patients take longer to move around..... people who carry sidearms do so knowing they are now "special" and are going to be treated differently.... sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

I ain't gonna shoot myself in the face while handling a dude who is already dead based on some stupid morale or ethical consideration.

I would clear the gun and lock it in my narcotic lock box. The only key would be in my pocket and I would ask law enforcement to meet me at the ER and turn the weapon over there. Leaving it on the patient, in my opinion, is not a safe idea. When we have deputies ride with us we lock their weapon in the narc box. It wouldn't be much different from that scenario.

I would clear the gun and lock it in my narcotic lock box. The only key would be in my pocket and I would ask law enforcement to meet me at the ER and turn the weapon over there. Leaving it on the patient, in my opinion, is not a safe idea. When we have deputies ride with us we lock their weapon in the narc box. It wouldn't be much different from that scenario.

You really lock the Policeman's pistol in the lock box? In Texas? Is that part of your written policy?

Does anoyone else do this?

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.