Grandpa has a gun!

DFIB

HLPP, I'm with tniuqs, the question was, what would you do, not what is your policy. So, what would you do in the given situation? I'm also curious to you response to my last question. If you have a 100% no firearm policy, do you pat-down every patient before they are allowed on the ambulance?

No, I do not pat down patients, so it is possible for someone to sneak a gun on board, although it has never happened. In my area, PD always responds to any person unconscious call, so I do not have to wait 15 minutes. If the patient is at home, I would leave it there, if he is at a business I would leave it with law enforcement or the business owner, but I would get them to sign for it and show me some ID. If I did not find it until enroute, I would move it to a compartment and then turn over to hospital security.

Well you would have to remove the stat of deliberate in this situation, then your study was from 2000. kinda of dated.

If one does the math against the number of firearms on record and handled daily  I believe a different result would occur.

I am enjoying that you have turned the page a bit .. I certainly hope you continue with a more evidence based debate.

Point in fact the firearm was located on the patient the question posed was what would YOU do.

cheers

2000 was the closest I could find on injuries alone, there are more current studies but many do not separate death from injury, or do not separate homicide, suicide, and accidental.

P.S. We have not even broached the whole flea/tick issue. You assume that this blind patient keeps this dog spotlessly clean, there is equal chance that they do not.

if he is at a business I would leave it with law enforcement or the business owner, but I would get them to sign for it and show me some ID. If I did not find it until enroute, I would move it to a compartment and then turn over to hospital security

So if a convicted felon working at a 7-11 shows you ID and signs a piece of paper, you would give them a handgun?? WTF?

First of all, if he is a convicted felon, he probably will not get hired at a convenience store, Second of all, if he is a convicted felon he would know it would be a probation violation and I imagine he would decline. I never read in here, exactly where the patient is (Home, business, side of road), so that would be helpful info. Could always lock it away in his vehicle if he has one. So where is this patient ???????

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4]

63 injuries per day does not speak well for the "experts" who shoot themselves.

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_StatesP.S. that is just injuries, not deaths.

23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000. During the same period there were 215,836 Active License Holders in the state of Texas alone, More than 800,000 in Florida. This is more than one million people who legally carry guns in just two states If you consider the accidental non fatal gunshot injuries for the entire nation and factor it into the chl license holders of only two states it would be 2.3%. aprox. I don’t have the time and inclination to do the stats for the entire country but you can see how far off your assertion is.

Your wiki link also said the accidents occur predominantly in poor urban areas. This would indicate an entirely different demographic group that the license holders. Getting and maintaining a license is expensive so your accidental shooting group could not be considered among the so called “experts” The person who has called them experts is you! So you are arguing against your own semantics!

Once again the reasoning behind your post is BS.

Edited by DFIB

First of all, if he is a convicted felon, he probably will not get hired at a convenience store.

WRONG .. not here in my hood, you speak is so many generalizations, first off we in Canada do not have concealed weapon permits (very rare).. as Mobey stated clearly .. We are far more likely to see a long gun (by the way and completely off topic I mean why not now) We in Canada have more long guns per capita than the US .. just guess how many deaths by firearms we have ?

Second of all, if he is a convicted felon he would know it would be a probation violation and I imagine he would decline.

OK that is funny right there Yes law abiding convicted felons "imagine" would decline .. more like sell it in a heartbeat, you do work in Atlanta don't you ?

I never read in here, exactly where the patient is (Home, business, side of road), so that would be helpful info. Could always lock it away in his vehicle if he has one. So where is this patient ???????

Lying in a parking lot, and one can click on the double back arrow and review the initial post.

You know I am thinking this an excellent POST .. Handgun safety is very simple .. you need to educate yourselves, you will encounter firearms in our jobs, heck we teach the rookies at SAR a free course in firearm handling.

Point the barrel away from anything to do not want to KILL !

Locate the safety (accept on Glocks) and make it point away from the red dot

ps RED is YOUR DEAD just a reminder.

Locate the mag release, activate it, mag drops out.

Then pull the slide back until no more shells are ejected most slides will actually lock open with no rounds.

Call me and I will put this fine piece of workmanship (the Kimber 9.0 mm) in my very safe lock up.

For revolvers DONT PULL THE HAMMER BACK .. sheesh no one ever watch the Lone Ranger ?

Thanks for your support

Edited by tniuqs

Hmmmmm, lets do some math:

a particular brand of toaster injures 63 people/day

a particular vehicle tire explodes causing 63 injuries/day

a toy manufacture sells 63 led-tainted toys/day

a chicken meat processor causes 63 food borne illnesses/day

an electrical cord manufacturer causes 63 house fires/day

What would we do ?

Actually, i googled this info and read that Texas led the nation in gun injuries, will have to go look for the actual stats again, so she may be on to something there, not sure what

I hope you have the time to get to it. Be sure and post them when you do.

Hmmmmm, lets do some math:

a particular brand of toaster injures 63 people/day

a particular vehicle tire explodes causing 63 injuries/day

a toy manufacture sells 63 led-tainted toys/day

a chicken meat processor causes 63 food borne illnesses/day

an electrical cord manufacturer causes 63 house fires/day

What would we do ?

Have you done the research do know that they don’t? What is wrong with toys and LED's?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.