Grandpa has a gun!

DFIB

Yes it is a written policy that has been in effect about 2 years. It came about because our previous policy stated that we could have no weapons in the ambulance, but an inmate can not be transported without a guard; causing issues with transport.The new policy was made to save time in getting inmates the treatment they need.

Yes it is a written policy that has been in effect about 2 years. It came about because our previous policy stated that we could have no weapons in the ambulance, but an inmate can not be transported without a guard; causing issues with transport.The new policy was made to save time in getting inmates the treatment they need.

Very interesting. It makes perfect sense allthough I would not have thought of it on my own. When you use the term "inmate" it jumps out a little more.

You really lock the Policeman's pistol in the lock box? In Texas? Is that part of your written policy?

Does anoyone else do this?

well dang...you dont put in in a box you put it in the spare holster on your belt....this is texas y'all

ask george dubbya

Keep in place if safe... allow hospital security to take the gun and secure it. Every ER has a place with gun safes... at least where I work, we are trained on clearing firearms and safely securing them for the patients duration of stay. If you have to remove it...I agree with Wendy... remove the entire holster with the gun inside.... the gun is safest in the holster and then I would secure it in a lockable area of the ambulance with padding to secure it in the event of a collision. We don't need any crazy old gun going off...

We come across this a lot in Colorado, hence why I initiated the aforementioned thread :).

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, a call I had over the summer. Police officer and suspect draw down on each other, suspect gets off one round through officers calf, no bony or significant neurovascular involvement, cop gets off 3, center mass. We arrive, suspect is supine, not restrained, but not fighting either, officer is ambulatory. My partner gets the suspect, I get the officer, 2nd ambulance on scene, BLS report my partners pt is "sick". I leave the cop for the BLS and assist my partner. Long story short, we transport the suspect w/PD, he's cut down naked, rolled and injuries noted, tx in route to hospital. ED notified in route, we go directly to OR w/pt, no BP, altered, 3 ABD wounds. Cops are not allowed into the OR, we move pt over to their bed and whoops, out from the back pocket of suspects pants falls a loaded 2 shot dillinger style handgun. FAIL on both our and PD's part, OR staff not thrilled, picked it up w/gloved hand and put it on our stretcher and brought it back down stairs for the cops.

Number one item is there is no law in Texas anyway that says no firearms allowed in the ambulance. Second if I got return of circulation thus decided to transport I would not delay transport to have LE secure firearm. Remove it in holster if all possible and lock it in narc cabinet. At hospital turn it over to security of LE for retrieval by patient of patients survivors later. I really can not understand how why so many have such a problem with such a simple common sense item.

Number one item is there is no law in Texas anyway that says no firearms allowed in the ambulance. Second if I got return of circulation thus decided to transport I would not delay transport to have LE secure firearm. Remove it in holster if all possible and lock it in narc cabinet. At hospital turn it over to security of LE for retrieval by patient of patients survivors later. I really can not understand how why so many have such a problem with such a simple common sense item.

I don't think anyone in this thread has expressed a problem with the firearm Each in turn has mentioned how they would handle the scenario based on their experience and level of skill with firearms.

Where do you perceive a problem?

Edited by DFIB

I don't think anyone in this thread has expressed a problem with the firearm Each in turn has mentioned how they would handle the scenario based on their experience and level of skill with firearms.

Where do you perceive a problem?

I perceive the problem as why the heck is this thread even created. It is a non issue. Unconscious, really dead patient with a licensed firearm on their person why is it even being brought up. Secure the firearm just like you do any other possessions of your patient and go on. Some mentioned firearms not being allowed on the ambulance, so if you find it after moving patient to ambulance just secure as mentioned previous sentence. Again non issue. People use some common sense.

No firearms in my bus ever, PERIOD. How can you claim to be a safety advocate and then put a loaded gun in your ambulance, or claim that you will handle a weapon you may have never seen, and attempt to unload it ?

How can you be in a field which requires you to constantly adapt to a situation and deal in such absolutes.... are you really just that textbook and set in your "ways" that you can not adapt to a situation??? You rarely provide anything of substance to a conversation except your statement of "fact" and expect everyone else to just take that as being right? NFW in my book. You can safely secure a weapon in an ambulance. It has been done quite often, there are many of us here who are well versed in numerous types of weapons and weapon systems. You would be hard pressed to present me with a gun that is available to civilians that I could not disarm safely... We're not all blithering idiots :)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.