Medics refuse to take service dog

HERBIE1

When I was an animal trainer I found that many blacks that I worked with had an intense irrational fear of dogs, any dogs. I'm not completely sure why that was...

But, having that fear disqualifies them from working EMS in your eyes Ruffles?

Actually that was a strong statement on my part but I don't want a medic or emt who is deathly afraid of dogs to turn tail and run thus leaving me alone with the patient thus putting me into some level of risk. Sure I can take care of a patient alone with the best of them but I have had a emt leave a scene quickly due to getting scared by a medium sized dog, thus leaving me to take care of a critical patient with no help until someone put the dog away.

So no they are not qualified to work in EMS if the crew is just me and my partner and they let their fear of the dog take over helping me. Leaving me alone with a critical patient where I didn't know where they went was very very disconcerting.

I would never enter a home with a large dog if it isn't put up in a room but to leave me with that patient colored my opinion on this area. I have fears but I don't leave patients like that partner did to me.

Edited by Ruffems

When I was an animal trainer I found that many blacks that I worked with had an intense irrational fear of dogs, any dogs. I'm not completely sure why that was...

But, having that fear disqualifies them from working EMS in your eyes Ruffles?

Funny you mentioned that Dwayne. When I showed shepherds many moons ago my breeder said the same thing about natives. She even had a theroy and it was that every race of person lets out different brain waves and the dogs will pick up on it. When I walk my dogs around town the do noticeably react different to white, and native. Never know there might be a study in that one.

The more common theory is that dogs are owned mostly by whites, and that they come to associated the smells of those that share the more traditional common white diets and notice the different smells of those with traditionally different diets, making them uncomfortable. Plus, a person's fear is automatically an alert for the dogs...

Interesting though.

Funny you mentioned that Dwayne. When I showed shepherds many moons ago my breeder said the same thing about natives. She even had a theroy and it was that every race of person lets out different brain waves and the dogs will pick up on it. When I walk my dogs around town the do noticeably react different to white, and native. Never know there might be a study in that one.

When I was a kid I grew up in a area where the locals drank a sugar cane moonshine. Our guard dog had been beaten by one of the local winos as a puppy and could smell them from a block away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.