Medics refuse to take service dog

HERBIE1

Oh, when we get caught, we change the subject, NICE.......................... I just don't know how I will survive without your friendship. But anyway, I will ask again, what use is this animal in the hospital ?

And what about the next asthmatic patient who has allergies to PET hair/dander ?

Tell me where I changed the subject? Got caught at what?? did I say that the animal would have use in the ED or hospital? uhh no I didnt...again you arent reading.

And as for being friends?? never in a million years. Oh My Gawd...I am so going to lose sleep over you and your BS...NOT.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Oh, when we get caught, we change the subject, NICE.......................... I just don't know how I will survive without your friendship. But anyway, I will ask again, what use is this animal in the hospital ?

And what about the next asthmatic patient who has allergies to PET hair/dander ?

Well ya got the dog talk down pat, bet you know cow also, now how about learn human. As per protocol in any service if you clean your ambulance to the proper standard there should be no problem with Dog dander.

• Like 1

Well here's an answer for you IHLPP. I can't say unequivocally what I do. It would depend on the situation. I'd use good clinical judgement. I can tell you what I WOULDN'T do though. I WOULDN'T say "I don't care what in the heck its called its just a pet, that's all BS let's get on out of here so we can get back to catch Cinemax." I wouldn't do that. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

Nice siff, when you cant argue facts, attack the person, that is so 3rd grade.

Perhaps so, but is it any worse than "arguing facts" as you called what you were doing like it's 3rd grade? Woof woof.

Edited by Siffaliss

LOL! Helper monkey = hilarious. :-) Needed that laugh, studying my buns off this morning for a peds final... blech.

--Wendy

So, another tack here... let's look at the dog not as "necessary" in the hospital setting- many of you are quite right that there is no function the dog will perform that human assistants will be unable to while the man is in the hospital. With that mindset, we're simply looking at the dog's trained function, which is to help a person perform tasks they cannot independently complete. Since we're not considering the psychological implications of independence with regard to certain tasks afforded by the man-dog team, let's look at the dog as a valuable piece of property.

You don't tell someone they don't need their Porsche keys in the ER, that someone can bring them later, if the person has their keys with them... you don't force someone to leave their expensive belongings on the roadside... if we can establish that the dog can be safely transported, on the liability for cost alone, I would think that you would make sure that person's property is safeguarded whether you liked dogs or not.

Hm.

Just a new angle that started ticking around in my brain...

(It'll do anything to avoid studying for this damn exam...)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.