Guidance on how to get started.

Blackbelt10

I have always wondered why you need to be a EMT before a medic. I know it's all economics and schools make mucho dinero by running 100 emt's through classes every year.

But why do you need to be an EMT in order to get into medic school. In nursing school you do not need to be a CNA or a LPN to be a nurse, In medical school you don't need anything but a pre-med education to get into medical school. You certainly don't need to be a Paralegal to become a attorney.

So why in the world are we still requiring people who want to be a medic, to be an emt first? For those who make those rules it truly sounds like a dumb idea who's time has come to die a slow and terrible death.

I guess the initial idea behind it was (as said, just guessing), to get experience as an emt - just to see the other side, you know.

That said, some third rides would also justify that.

Around here, for example, medical students need a three month nursing internship - not a bad idea, I think.

(On the other hand, it`s not really thought through, since everyone needs to take it - even qualified nurses. I know of some cases where year-long ICU nurses needed to make those three months).

• 2 weeks later...

Volunteer with a local CERT. No, you don't qualify as EMT-B when you finish that training (just get a quick &dirty basic first aid/ triage class) but most CERTs are coordinated by the local fire department, so you'll at least get to talk to lots of EMS/fire types who can tell you more about what the job is really like. PLUS, (at least where I live (Atlanta)) our coordinator lets us ride along pretty much whenever we want just as long as we give some advance warning!!! I've enjoyed this training so much I've decided to go back to school (I'm already RN) to get EMT-B and then keep going to paramedic. My friends and family think I'm nuts, but I just need a change. Unfortunately, changing specialties in nursing is not as easy as it used to be, at least not where I live.

But why do you need to be an EMT in order to get into medic school.

In the program that I attended, you had to have your EMT prior to starting the program because that much of the education was not covered. And, since the college offered all three levels (basic, intermediate, paramedic), you could take the portions you wanted and stop or restart as you wished. Offered some flexibility for a day course.

tcripp,

thats how my medic class was. They did not go back over EMT-B material. other than skills refresher and how they blended in to medic but thats about it.

As far as nursing programs, our local program does require CNA at a minimum for both ADN and LPN. I think it is a requirement of the state.

BlackBelt,

Your best bet, since you live in a college town is to go speak to a counselor at the college and find out what the requirements are. get all the requirements for everything your interested in and take that information go home and think about it. weigh the pro's and con's of each and visit with local EMS, Nurses, and/or RRT's whatever has your interest. Find out what your really interested in. Youtube video's are fine but only show a portion of the job ... a very very small portion. It is not all excitement and rescues.

you have made a positive first step by coming here and asking. But you still have work to do to find out what is right for you. Good Luck to you !

Race

Don't assume you have to be an EMTB or EMTI before going to Paramedic, for alot of states, it is an assumption, not a rule or law. It is just one of those things that have always been done that way. With that being said, if your state does not require it, your college or tech school probably does as it is a way to make mo money, mo money, mo money.

• Like 1