Guidance on how to get started.

Blackbelt10

Hello to all, as you may can tell, I'm relatively new to the site and I come in peace looking for insight.

Currently I am a college freshman who planned on enrolling into the nursing program in a year or two. I have come to the realization that college may not be for me, at least going the nursing route. Since growing up I always wanted to be in the medical field. I have probably looked at over 300+ Youtube videos of on the job paramedic videos, saying to myself I wish that was me.

So my question for you is, how should I go about starting off? Are college credits needed for EMT-B?

Any suggestions, ideas, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks for the response, I'm from Alabama and currently living in a college town with a non-volunteer service, but my hometown is volunteer only. I am just confused on the training process.

Edited by Blackbelt10

Welcome to the City Blackbelt!

Where are you located? I ask because depending on where you are, the answer to your college credits question is, yes. Here in the staes most EMT basic courses do not require college credits. They are sometimes sponsered by a local fire department and time of classes is highly varied, from several weeks to several months.

Jump right in and ask questions and we will do our best to answer them for you. :)

Currently I am a college freshman who planned on enrolling into the nursing program in a year or two. I have come to the realization that college may not be for me, at least going the nursing route. Since growing up I always wanted to be in the medical field. I have probably looked at over 300+ Youtube videos of on the job paramedic videos, saying to myself I wish that was me.

You might try to get some third-rides, to get a good look at the job, beforehand.

It`s cool you`re that into it, and there really must be an interest there, if you`ve watched that ton of vids, but honestly, most of that Youtube Para stuff is just the plain old mystifying, heroic adulation, which only shows the "action-packed, nerve-wrecking" side of the job, which may be true to some part, but that doesn`t really give a good overview over the real job.

Don`t get me wrong, I don`t wanna put you off, just don`t get the wrong image.

When it comes to starting, I won`t be much of a help since I`m residing at the wrong part of the pond, but you might wanna look up the internet sites of the school you`re interested in, they usually give you all the necessary information. As much as I understand it, there are some differences regarding to the various states in the US, so it`s best to look up you local informations.

Nursing school has become far more competitive and hard to pass, if you can even get in a program. Conversely, EMT/Medic school is far easier to get into, but has also seen an increase in admissions. Do what you love, no matter what it pays. But realize there are few EMTB jobs out there, so if you are going to take the plunge, paramedic should be your goal.

Welcome.

College credit isn't needed for EMT-B but it is recommended (at least by many of us here) in the form of a college level anatomy and physiology class. Otherwise, EMT-B s a class that can be completed in as little as two weeks. It's more commonly found in a three hours of class a night for two days a week for three months or so format. Your college/university may even offer it. Otherwise, when you're home on break check with the volly squad there and ask about it.

Vorenus is spot on in that many of the videos you're watching are glorified depictions of what we actually do. Please don't take them at face value and think that what you've seen is really what life in EMS is like.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble but EMT-B isn't really a job within the medical field. It's glorified first aid. Keep in mind, too, that there are way more EMT-Bs out there than there are jobs. EMT-Bs are a dime a dozen and easily replaceable. Have you taken an economics class yet? The law of supply and demand affects the working conditions and compensation for people when there are more people for fewer jobs (read that as low pay and questionable work environments).

If you're really interested in the medical field you're going to need to go to college. Nursing is but one option (find a program here). Paramedic school is an option (find a program here). Respiratory therapy is an option. Radiology tech is another option. These all require college level education. Or you could complete your degree and go on to PA or medical school.

While nursing may not be right for you, and to be fair it's not right for everyone, there are many other options out there to work in the health care field that will actually provide you a liveable wage and decent workplace environments. You'll have to stay in school, though, to earn the education.

If you're looking for more information on any particular field asking to shadow someone who does the job is an excellent way to find out more about it in line with what Vorenus suggested. Do ride alongs if you're allowed to do so. Shadow a nurse for a few hours to a day. Shadow nurses in different fields of medicine to see how their job differs from specialty to specialty. Know any docs, PAs or NPs? Ask to shadow them. Find out what excites you and suits you.

Whatever you do, please strongly consider staying in school. I know the temptation of taking a quick class and getting a job that sounds exciting. I also know how hard it is as a college freshman to be thinking about life down the road. I also know how hard it is to go back to school after many years of being away from it. Do college now. Build your foundation. Take good science classes. Work hard. Study hard. Play hard when you can.

And ask us questions. You'll get a variety of responses from many smart people here. Something will be bound to suit your needs.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Welcome Black Belt .. good chatting with you in the room, things are picking up again in chat . :thumbsup:

Welcome.

College credit isn't needed for EMT-B but it is recommended (at least by many of us here)

Vorenus is spot on in that many of the videos you're watching are glorified depictions of what we actually do.

Please don't take them at face value and think that what you've seen is really what life in EMS is like.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble but EMT-B isn't really a job within the medical field. It's glorified first aid.

Respiratory therapy is an option. :punk: Radiology tech is another option. These all require college level education. Or you could complete your degree and go on to PA or medical school.

And ask us questions.

You'll get a variety of responses from many smart people here.

<edit> Some not so smart too LOL

Good luck.

Tell it the way it is Mike a very good post worth bookmarking for next time we observe a similar intro.

Edited by tniuqs

No, I was interested in becoming a paramedic seemingly working your way up from Basic.

Like you guys have suggested I did look into other careers such as Rad Tech (field is saturated here and jobs are far and few between), occupational & respiratory therapist

Got to be on your game to pass RRT registry .. set you sights higher than EM-B

that said if you pick EMT B be really good at it !

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

It all depends on the program. Some programs do require time as an EMT-B before they'll accept you to paramedic school. Some programs do not require time as an EMT-B prior to acceptance. This is an important question to ask of the programs you're investigating.

We have had many discussions here regarding the (lack of any) benefit of working as an EMT prior to paramedic school. If you search the forums you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding any number of the discussions we've had. You will find a variety of opinions on the subject. Read through the discussions. Form your own questions. Ask those questions of the programs you're investigating.

I'm not trying to rehash the debate since we've had it many times here. See what you can find in the forums and we can go from there.