Help me settle a debate

mikeffd

DFIB that is funny but so true. We have a world famous club in downtown Atlanta, and it is amazing that when a "sick call" comes out in that neighborhood, there are no trucks available although there are several ambulances sitting at the multiple ERs in the area, but when unconscious female call comes out at the strip club, the crews actually fight over which ambulance is closer, and they all seem to be able to clear the ER in like 3 minutes, whereas it always takes them 20-30 minutes to get 10-8 any other time.

They should add it to every tone out. TuuuuuuEEEEEooooooo. 42 year old male complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath inside residence at 1567 Toadsuck Rd. Oh, and a unconscious stripper.

DFIB, the way you seem to be using it, it'll become the newest get-an-ambulance-quick buzz-phrase, as "heart attack" already is.

You never know the public is fickle. I wonder if it will work in ER triage? Probably not.

OK, lets test some scenarios; for every one, your partner asks for PD, and dispatch tells you that due to heavy demand, there are currently no police officers available for at least 20-30 minutes:

1. Person down in the yard, unknown age or cause, in a middle class subdivision.

2. Injured in a fight at a Middle School.

3. Female overdose, unconscious, in the hood

4. Unconscious stripper in the dressing room of strip club (known for drugs and prostitution)

How long do you wait, the full 30 minutes ? What if you are caught on camera "sitting" at the business around the corner, and the patient dies. Does having a truck full of hose monkeys behind your rig change your mind ?

I see no reason to "stage" or delay a response to any of these scenarios. Like I said before, in many areas around here, if we waited on calls such as this, our call volume would be cut in half- and we'd have a bunch of very angry citizens, all screaming for our jobs to their local community activists, city councilmen, the media, and anyone else who would listen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.