Another new kid......

Traumachicky23~12

Hey everyone! I'm new here, just looking to meet some new people, and waste some spare time that i don't have! I have been involved in EMS for the past 6 years. I'm an EMT at a BLS/ALS station that gets around 10,000 calls per year. For my sanities sake (lol), I also work as an EMT at a very rural BLS station that serves mostly the Amish and a large extended care facility. I'm going to college for PHRN and take every opportunity to take adjunct classes. That's it for now!! :wave:

You work with the Amish? That is way cool in my book. I had the opportunity to work with Dr. Elton Lehman on some medical mission caravans in the third world. He is the author of the book House Calls and Hitching Posts. He was a really cool guy. I have been curious about rural medicine and the Amish every since.

Have you ever seen them soak wounds in kerosene?

Jump in the forum and participate. There are some rural medics that have a lot to offer.

Welcome to the city!

This question might sound ignorant, but how do the Amish call you? I mean, they have no phone, right? Do they just come to the station to notify you that there`s an emergency?

Oh, welcome to the City!

• Like 1

Some Amish do have phones. Not all do but some do. On the alternative, they sometimes will put the sick person in the buggy and bring them to you.

At other times they have someone get the buggy and go to the nearest house with a phone.

Many times I remember getting the call but by the time they got to a phone the damage was already done and it was a medical examiner case.

One Amish father(not the patients father) told me when I said why don't you have a phone, this could have been prevented and he said that it was "God's Provenance".

I at the time didn't like that answer and I kind of still don't but that's what he believed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.