Critical Care CCEMT-P or CCP-C course

Zablackw

I'm a paramedic student at the moment and have my eyes set on working in more of a critical care setting, be it flight or ground. I am looking at this for my future in EMS and something to do later on when I become more "seasoned" but which course is better, the CCEMT-P at USMB or the CCP-C? Also if I have one of those courses if I plan to go into Nursing, how helpful are those courses for CCRN? I have heard mixed feelings saying it is a joke and some saying it was very helpful in getting the CCRN.

The CCP-C isn't a course, it is an exam. CCEMT-P will give you a decent enough prep for the CCP-C and perhaps to a lesser extent, the CCRN. However, you will need a couple of thousand hours as an RN in an acute or critical care setting before you will be allowed to sit for the CCRN.

The CCRN still looks impressive on a resume, the CCP-C still has people asking 'wassat?'

Edited by scott33
  • Like 1

I think she/he may have been asking about the difference in the UMBC programme and the U of Iowa programme. I have heard from fairly reliable sources that the two are interchangeable as they are based on the same curriculum.

I have heard from some who have taken both and say the University of Iowa course maybe slightly better, but that is just hearsay.

It's good that you are thinking ahead, but don't put the cart before the horse. Finish your medic first. It is recommended by both schools that you have at least 1 year of field experience before taking either.

Welcome to the City!

Edited by JakeEMTP
  • Like 1

I'm not going to discourage your long term goals. But perhaps, for now, since you're still a student, you should focus on what you need to do to earn your paramedic certification and what is necessary to become "seasoned". Right now, that's a long way off for you. While it's good to have goals, you can't reach them if you're not building your foundation now.

You still have a long way to go. Concentrate on the foundation. Building from there will take time.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I say looking ahead is the right thing to do. Don't have much to offer you, but I will say if you pass your paramedic and get hired in a capacity that allows you to pursue the CCP-C then go for it. Welcome to the City! Dive right on in... this is a killer place to expand your understanding of pathophysiology and ethics (to say the least).

Come on, y'all. It's not like he's grabbing the books and studying them instead of his paramedic school stuff. You all know I want to work ICU/CCU, but none of you is chastising me telling me to focus on my ADN courses and that I can worry about the BSN stuff later...

;-)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

ADN Student

• Like 1

Wendy,

Wanting work work in an ICU is quite different from wanting to take a certification exam that requires years of clinical experience in a critical care setting before one is even allowed to sit to take said exam.

I'm not discouraging this student's long term goals. I'm merely suggesting he focus on finishing school before turning his attention to the long term. Earning the certification is the first step to achieving those long term goals.

Also, you and I talk fairly frequently. I know you a little better so my responses to you are going to be a little different than for the masses. Even knowing you, your background, and some of your goals, if you were to ask me about taking the CCRN exam my answer to you would be the same as it is for the OP. Specifically, don't lose sight of it. Keep it as a goal. But focus on getting out of school and building your clinical experience before working towards taking the exam.

There are a lot of steps between then and now for the OP, for you and even for me (given that you know what I'm pursuing). Hell, even I have long term goals for when I'm finished school. But I can't work on, or even focus on, those goals until school is done.

Also, to the OP, all of the nurses I work with have successfully completed the CCRN exam. Not a single one of them has said it was easy. Every single one of them have said they will fight tooth and nail to keep the certification just so they don't ever have to go through the process of sitting for that exam again. All of this is assuming, of course, that you want to go into nursing. That then begs the question, however, if you want to be a nurse why are you in paramedic school?

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice and pearls of wisdom everyone!

To paramedicmike

I just enjoy learning. Getting more education and also very importantly experience, makes a stronger medic and nurse. Be it on a truck or in a hospital setting. Also bottom line better pt. care which is why most of us are here.

Thanks for all the advice and pearls of wisdom everyone!

To paramedicmike

I just enjoy learning. Getting more education and also very importantly experience, makes a stronger medic and nurse. Be it on a truck or in a hospital setting. Also bottom line better pt. care which is why most of us are here.

then why do you refuse to reveal yourself instead of a bandana covered half face. ha ha Just kidding.

• Like 1

CCEMT-P is a good course, I took it in preparation for taking the FP-C, only thing is alot of it won't make sense until after you have not only been a paramedic for a while but have worked in the prehospital transport field. Its alot of flight based paramedicine.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.