Could you use that cellophane from that pack of smokes for?

alexG

Have a question that I was wondering could be answered by the professionals that are on the front line of patient care....

Here is the question that I almost got into an arguement about in my CNA class that I am taking this semester....

The instructor was going over CPR and demonstrating on a "Manny" and he spoke of using a pocket mask or shield when giving rescue breathing and I spoke up and stated that the cellophane from a pack of cigarrettes could be used as a barrier when doing rescue breathing by providing a shield over the patients mouth.....cut a slit in the cellophane and place it over their mouth.....and he stated that it wouldn't work because you wouldn't get a good seal and I had told him that you would be able to get a good seal if used properly.....

So....for the non-EMT person, who doesn't happen to carry a pocket mask or shield around with them at all times, use the cellophane from a pack of cigarrettes for the purpose of providing a "protective shield" while giving rescue breathing??

USA is correct in that the plastic with a slit in it does not provide a protective shield from the mouth but rather just the face where your lips would be. You'd still have air and saliva and other stuff passing directly from the patient to the rescuer.

Go with AHA's new standards and simply don't give rescue breaths. Press hard and fast until advanced care arrives with the appropriate rescue airway equipment.

Toni

While possibly better than locking lips with someone you don't know: your scenario will not stop the transmission of diseases as there is no one way check valve to stop the pt's breath from coming back to you along with any bacteria or diseases they may have.

This is the primary reason for AHA recommending that bystanders only do compressions in case of sudden cardiac arrest. Don't worry about breathing for them until later in the process.

The thinking is that many folks wouldn't do CPR because it meant giving breaths to someone they don't know.

why bother cutting the slit, you might as well do M2M with nothing as a barrier then.

open slit will still allow transfer of contaminents between the Pt and yourself.

why not bite the bullet and purchase a single use small mask/ shield that fits on you key chain, they are only around 5 bucks...you always have your keys with you after all

stay safe

Edited by craig

I think it is a great idea an excelent way to share with your patient, TB, Strep, H1N1, Rubeola, and about a kazilion other nasty things.

You might could use it to cover a sucking chest wound.

Yeah man, what everyone is saying is that though your thinking is good, you started without a decent idea of disease transmission.

The cellophane will cover the skin part of the mouth, but that is really the smallest worry in this scenario. The real worry will come from the exposure from the air that is being expelled after you breath for them. The same air that is going to be flowing into your mouth, nose, and eyes. Though you've made the opening smaller by using the plastic, you've not filtered it or redirected it in any way. See?

You've taken a large possible disease source and turned it into a smaller possible disease source, but a disease source it certainly still is.

Good question. And good on you for having the balls/ovaries to follow up and find an answer to an idea that from the outside looking in made sense.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.