BS calls

PCP

Not too concerned if someone wants to nail me for what we did. I'll gladly take the punishment- and would do it again in a heartbeat. I would hope someone would do the same for my mom in a similar situation.

Would gladly=) I have also given rides home, generally to the elderly.

One of our neighboring VACs got called for an unknown. The only info they had was a woman standing on the porch screaming that she needed an ambulance. They pull up and she says she is fine and just needs a ride to the supermarket. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

One of our neighboring VACs got called for an unknown. The only info they had was a woman standing on the porch screaming that she needed an ambulance. They pull up and she says she is fine and just needs a ride to the supermarket. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

I have a rule for patients like that. With the exception of transfers home, any ambulance I'm working brings patients to a hospital and only to a hospital. If they don't want to go to a hospital they don't want to ride with me. Simple as that.

• Like 1

So you dont concider a False call a BS call. Have you ever been in a situation where your dealing with an ass that abuses the system for a ride up town and the real pt dies because of it..... I have and it sucks the big one. Maybe in big cities where there are 50 ambulance you can deal with the BS call but if you only have one that is manned it is a danger. It dosnt have anything to do with wasting my time it has to do with wasting the time a pt that is in a real emergency has. Oh and there is no difference with time being wasted if you are a volly or paid.

That's the thing, there are so many BS calls in the city along with the occasional 'real' call. Resources 'per capita' if you will are just as stretched. Mind you, we have maybe 25 on the road and that's less than minimum staffing requirements. Still, a larger city with more units on the road does more bullshit.

Anyhow, flamingemt ... what about the woman who bends down to pet a kitten while walking near her apartment at night; gets scratched by said kitten and phones 911 because she has no bandaids? That's bullshit.

What about the chronic narcotic abuser who is new to the city, who 'heard from a friend' that calling 911 and telling the ambulance that their doc in another province said to call 911 if they ran out of morphine and that the ambulance would give them morphine?

What about the ever helpful drive-by caller who phones 911 in the middle of summer for a person lying on a bench near a busy street, who doesn't have time to stop to see if this person is breathing? Only to have the ambulance get there for the typical drunk guy sleeping on a bench because he's homeless and has nowhere else to sleep?

What about the person who phones 911 in the middle of the night living RIGHT BESIDE A DRUG STORE because they can't sleep and their Imovane isn't working?

What about the 18 year old male who vomitted 2 days prior to calling the ambulance, who only called because their abdomen is still "just a little bit sore" from wretching?

What about the person who calls 911 because the medication they were given is "working too well" and all their symptoms disappeared and they thought they should see a doctor about it?

What about the girl who gets a flu shot, then phones 911 because her arm is a "little bit sore" the next day? No other side effects. Just a sore arm.

I could go on for hours ... There certainly ARE bullshit calls out there. It's even more frustrating when you're sitting there on one of them hearing a cardiac arrest getting dispatched to a PRU (single member) because there are no units available. To deny that there are these types of calls is like denying one's shit doesn't stink.

Whoa nelly .. lets all back up dah short bus. I leave for a minute and I come back to see some very jaded responses

Yikes kiddies this is supposed to a caring profession not a judge, jury and trial WTF .

So for shits and giggles lets do an actual intelligent post mortum on the initial post before slamming poor flaming medic for his opinion, shall we ? Perhaps remove heads from the dark place first, would be a great start, Is their calls that are a waste of resources, hell yes some ludicris some worth a good laugh remember stupid is a disease we cannot cure.

Your on scene its your responsibility to respond when summoned, when you book location your a problem solver quoting HammerACP .. where the hell did she go anyway ?

Had a call on my last shift where I felt it was a bit of a BS call but who I am to judge.

Your NOT a judge, precisely .

My partner and I where dispatched out for a cold 14 year old male.

That's all the info you received ? really come on........

When we arrived my partner asked the guy what was going on and the patient's response was " I am on my way home from a friends house and I am cold."

Ok 14, is this individual an adult ? nope, is this adolescent confused ? what is his body posture? what is he wearing? is he impaired ? what is the ambient temperature? What is he wearing ? Why did he leave his friends home, what was his destination ?

My partner asked if he called 911 because he was cold and wanted a ride home? The patient's response was " yes ".

That's it for history ? a one word answer .. come on again really ? No vital signs, no investigation of possible psych related problems ? Have you looked at the incidence of teen age suicide ? Your missing the big picture here

My partner explained to him that 911 is not used for this type of situation but we would give him a ride home this time. We drove for about 5 minutes when the patient said we could drop him off now as he was only about five minutes from home.

Abandonment plain and simple, that of an adolescent, do you have good insurance ? ... does your medical director know of your actions WTF are you thinking ?

I sure would like to audit that Patient Care Report ....EPIC FAIL.

Curious to know what kind of BS calls the rest of you get.

Remind me again of how long you have been riding on car PCP, their is no "honour" in becoming a jaded hardened medic ! am calling you out brother ...

At the risk of pissing off Happy aka or the wrath of Khanette pfft !

So you dont concider a False call a BS call. Have you ever been in a situation where your dealing with an ass that abuses the system for a ride up town and the real pt dies because of it..... I have and it sucks the big one.

Another EPIC FAIL, in a system with limited resources easy peasy .. here is how you do it .. btw you know I have the T shirt and I wear it proudly for doing the right thing and btw shit does wash off.

Dispatch this is Squad 51 we have a stable patient sitting seat belted in, we a ready, willing, closer and capable to respond .. what are your directions. PUNT !

Edited by tniuqs

That's the thing, there are so many BS calls in the city along with the occasional 'real' call. Resources 'per capita' if you will are just as stretched. Mind you, we have maybe 25 on the road and that's less than minimum staffing requirements. Still, a larger city with more units on the road does more bullshit.

More People = More Bullshit .. its a linear equation, dough (see Homer Simpson)

Anyhow, flamingemt ... what about the woman who bends down to pet a kitten while walking near her apartment at night; gets scratched by said kitten and phones 911 because she has no bandaids? That's bullshit.

Provide a bandaid, does AHS not carry them any more ? Written cancellation but caution about cat scratch fever s/s. cat scratch fever is not BS .. just duly diligent.

What about the chronic narcotic abuser who is new to the city, who 'heard from a friend' that calling 911 and telling the ambulance that their doc in another province said to call 911 if they ran out of morphine and that the ambulance would give them morphine?

A druggy .. no kidding, those with great rational thought process, possibly going through withdraw .. yeah cancel don't get him help then get called back for a seizure or an OD ?

What about the ever helpful drive-by caller who phones 911 in the middle of summer for a person lying on a bench near a busy street, who doesn't have time to stop to see if this person is breathing? Only to have the ambulance get there for the typical drunk guy sleeping on a bench because he's homeless and has nowhere else to sleep?

Night or Day .. Suntan or Moontan ? a little old lady 82 y/o calls in because she is afraid to get out of her car in a bad hood and she an abuser I see, no G. Spady centre in EDM any-more ?

What about the person who phones 911 in the middle of the night living RIGHT BESIDE A DRUG STORE because they can't sleep and their Imovane isn't working?

Dispatch FAIL AGAIN !

What about the 18 year old male who vomitted 2 days prior to calling the ambulance, who only called because their abdomen is still "just a little bit sore" from wretching?

And he wasn't Drinking Ok right then and No such thing as Pancreatitis, GI Bleed ? ps one of the biggest admissions in ICU btw I had one of those 5 days ago lipase was 650 on admission to ER, one of his complaints was he thought he was constipated.

What about the person who calls 911 because the medication they were given is "working too well" and all their symptoms disappeared and they thought they should see a doctor about it?

First off I wish ... Then book an appointment to pshycologist STAT, or call the AHS help line .. the RNs can answer those questions.

What about the girl who gets a flu shot, then phones 911 because her arm is a "little bit sore" the next day? No other side effects. Just a sore arm.

Fail in delivery of Public Health Nursing system and dispatch .. read the farking hand out provided with every vaccination ... I DO and I hand them out and clearly explain the side effects <sheesh> !

I could go on for hours ... There certainly ARE bullshit calls out there. It's even more frustrating when you're sitting there on one of them hearing a cardiac arrest getting dispatched to a PRU (single member) because there are no units available. To deny that there are these types of calls is like denying one's shit doesn't stink.

I could go on for days ... but then again I have rhum and coke to take off the edge, but you never call anymore <sniff>

Here is the bottom line, if we wish to move forward as a Profession, WE have to deal with primary health care, stop being cocky pricks and do though workups, do non judgemental clinical evaluations before we will ever be called a "profession" otherwise your just a whiner.

Oh and drink to excess on days off, I do and it works :punk:

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Could get cat scratch fever, cat could have rabiesWhat about the chronic narcotic abuser who is new to the city, who 'heard from a friend' that calling 911 and telling the ambulance that their doc in another province said to call 911 if they ran out of morphine and that the ambulance would give them morphine?

Drug abusers are the most dangerous patient to not transport, they dont live a healthy life style, not transporting them is dangerous. No, I would not give them morphine, you have to educate the patient, but this is a real patientWhat about the ever helpful drive-by caller who phones 911 in the middle of summer for a person lying on a bench near a busy street, who doesn't have time to stop to see if this person is breathing? Only to have the ambulance get there for the typical drunk guy sleeping on a bench because he's homeless and has nowhere else to sleep?

Since the first symptom of over 30% of MIs is sudden arrest, it is good that the samaritan cared enough to call 911. And how can you blame them for not stopping, since the majority of EMTs/Medics in this room stated they would not stop while off-duty.What about the person who phones 911 in the middle of the night living RIGHT BESIDE A DRUG STORE because they can't sleep and their Imovane isn't working?

???? It is abuse of the system, but still a patient with a complaint, you must educate them.

I do not know why he is vomiting, could be food poising, the flu, appendicitis, ruptured bowel, or any number of life threatening ailments we can not diagnose in the field.

Again, it is abuse of the system, but we have educated everyone to call 911 for anything and everything, can't blame the patient for our failure.

Could easily be cellutlitis or nerve damage from the shot or reaction to the medication

Double dog dare accepted, my answeres are below each question. If your system does not have a tiered response or enough units on the road, then that is your systems fault, do not blame the patient. Your job is to treat the patient in front of you. And let's be honest, this is about you having to get out of bed and run a call, its not about the supposed cardiac arrest down the street. Your system should post units so that all areas are covered while any truck is on a call, and you should have enough trucks to handle your peak call volume.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.