college classes and EMTB

Hi all,

I am starting an EMTB course in January, I am also going for a degree. I`m not sure if I should take any other classes while I`m in the EMT program. Has anyone else done this with good or bad results? Any advice would be very helpful.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I had no problem taking EMT class along with several other courses (genetics, organic chem 1, and 1 or 2 other classes that I can't remember right now). Personally, I found EMT class to be very very basic and easy.

Chemistry (either Chem 101 and Biochem 101 or some schools have a "chemistry for health professions" which is combined fundamentals of general, organic and biological chemistry as they apply to "allied" health professions i.e. not medicine)

Microbiology

Anatomy and Physiology

English composition

Psychology

Some will tell you to take Biology and Physics but I'm not sure about them

If you can find general "pathophysiology" and "pharmacology" classes take them too; some schools incorporate them into the nursing curricula however (probably larger) schools have them as "stand-alone" classes which fit into a range of allied health programs

I'm jealous, in-state tuition for you blokes is dirt cheap like what, $100/cr so like $300/class ... here you're paying around $650 for each university class

Oh and I absolutely loathe genetics, the next person who talks to me about mitosis, meiosis, RNA or DNA is getting twisted into a double helix :D

Edited by kiwimedic

Take a general chemistry sequence or survey course before considering biochemistry. You need to have a good understanding of the basics such as atomic structure, energy levels, electron configurations, periodicity, reactions, kinetics, Lewis dot structure and valence bond theory (VSEPR and so on).

Physics is actually profoundly helpful if you want to have a deeper understanding of the physical sciences. One could easily argue all the physical sciences such as chemistry are essentially applied physics. However, if EMT-B or EMT as it is now called is your aspiration, physics should take a back seat. As JP stated, none of these courses are outside of a normal person's league assuming they are adequately prepared and motivated to take said courses. Of course, JP's motivations were not derived from a desire to remain an EMT.

OP, good luck whatever your choice. You cannot go wrong by taking anatomy and physiology, math classes and English composition/literature as most applied science health degree programmes require them as pre-requisites.

You need to have a good understanding of the basics such as atomic structure, energy levels, electron configurations, periodicity, reactions, kinetics, Lewis dot structure and valence bond theory (VSEPR and so on).

Lewis dot structures are freaking grinding me at the moment, its like WTF?

none of these courses are outside of a normal person's league assuming they are adequately prepared and motivated to take said courses

Great, now I feel like a dumbshit :D jk

I would suggest a class load that you are accustomed to and at a level you know you can handle. I understand that the desire to advance quickly creates the temptation to take a full load. Take into consideration what your grades were for you last semester in school. How easy is it for you to learn new ideas and procedures? Find out how long you will be in EMT class and figure out what the credit equivalent would be and fill in the spaces up to 12 credit hours.

If it is your first semester in school I would not recommend taking 16 credits and a lab, and EMT as well. You might feel more comfortable with two, or four additional classes to EMT. You need to take into account that you will have to spend time in the Emergency Room and doing ride along in the ambulance.

Also if you are not in a hurry to finish give yourself a little time to enjoy EMT. It is a really cool time of study and introduction into a lot of new practices and knowledge.

I was in school full time, worked full time when I took my EMT class. Manage your time appropriately and you'll be fine.

What subject are you pursuing for your degree?

Thanks, and I`m thinking fire science but i was also interested in law enforcement.

It's all about what your schedule and abilities can handle. If you're able to process and store information on a variety of subjects without confusing the two subjects, and if you have the time to do so, why not take more classes?

I know my EMT-B courses right now are 9 credit hours for the semester, so the college would let me take up to 7 more credits without any additional counselling from the dean. Although, the dean of the Public Safety program at my school said "your priority, class-wise, is and should always be your core classes". At my school, you have to pass each section from your first EMT-B class through your last Paramedic class with a 3.0 (B) or higher, otherwise you have to repeat that section. With my working full time, and my desire to do well in all of my core classes, I'm only taking the EMT classes this semester.

Next semester, I do my Pre-hospital emergency care preparatory class, which is 5 credit hours. I'll probably tack on my next anatomy and physiology course to round it up to 9 credits again, and also wipe out 2 prerequisites for both Paramedic and Nursing.

Anyways, to answer your questions short and sweet... take on whatever you think you can handle, but remember you'll be handling it for the next 3-4 months. Talk to a student adviser and see if they can help you plan a course that takes care of several requirements in as short a time as possible.