Spinoff from Two Threads -- How do you feel about being recorded

I told you about an ambulance crew that got in trouble because the home alarm system activated the camera when the patient pushed the medic-alarm, and that the entire encounter between medics and patient was recorded. I was recently worked an injured kid at a middle school football game, looked up into the crowd, and noted several people had their cell phones out, recording my every move.

I didn't like the feeling at all, not that I was worried about doing my job, or getting caught, it was just unnerving. How do you guys feel about citizens recording you while on-scene ?

That's an interesting situation. Not sure how I feel because I'm not sure if it's happened yet. But, I will let you know if/when I'm faced with it.

But, I'm guessing I would feel the same.

It's gonna happen...no different than cops who have been filmed for years....maintain professionalism at all times and those citizens recording may save your ass one day...or they may ban you from ever working again depending on whether or not your report your error. :)

• Like 2

Yeah go for it, I ended up on YouTube one night apparently, still haven't bloody found it yet!

The cops have been filmed for years; maybe I should get me a 1987 Dodge Diplomat, big Magnum hand cannon, 80s beat-down style wooden nightstick and aviator sunglasses? :D

Edited by kiwimedic

This is a relatively new phenomenon. The biggest issue we faced back in the day was that everyone claimed to be related to some politician or a big shot, and after seeing a few episodes of Emergency, St Elsewhere, or other medical show- street surgeons we call them- they all knew our jobs better than we did. When I first started, it was really easy to see if someone had a camera- they were big, bulky, and VCR tape was expensive so it wasn't really common. Now, everyone's camera is able to take a picture.

The only time it bothers me is about patient privacy. The professional news media is generally pretty good about respecting the patient, but free lancers, looking to sell a story to a newscast can be a real pain in the arse. Generally all it takes is a word to a LEO and they get the message to back off.

edited for clarity...

Edited by HERBIE1

I am sure i have been recorded and will be more in the future. You can not stop it as there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in the public places, especially sporting events. Keep your head and do your job and your fine. Liberal use of blankets and sheets work very well for blocking the filming and also provides adequate coverage for exposing where your assessing.

This isn't going to change and even the LEO's can not stop it from happening. Now once i am in my ambulance then i am in control and there will be no filming or pictures.

Race

Learning to work while being recorded is a new skill. If the recorder gets to intrusive you can ask them politely but firmly to respect the patient's right to privacy. I think new legislature should be added to HIPPA making recording of medical care illegal without the patient's consent. But until then, there's always Chapstick on the lens.

Learning to work while being recorded is a new skill. If the recorder gets to intrusive you can ask them politely but firmly to respect the patient's right to privacy. I think new legislature should be added to HIPPA making recording of medical care illegal without the patient's consent. But until then, there's always Chapstick on the lens.

Asys,

I completely agree with you but with the saturation of cameras in everything and being everywhere it will never happen. The best thing you can do is to stabilize as quickly as possibly and get to the ambulance where you know you are in control of the entire situation from that time on.

Race

The only time I've had a camera on me while treating a patient, was a skateboarder who broke a humerus. Everyone had a camera, from cell phones to a commercial digital video camera-like a production company would use. And this was just in the local park. I did what I was supposed to do, ignored them to a point, and got the patient out of there.

We get filmed quite often mainly news crews. I don't like it but can't stop it. Pictures are in the paper all the time of us working a scene. On occasion they will follow us to the hospital and ask for a statement. They never get one from me, at least not one that will improve their evening news.

Stealing from another thread, this is another reason for being well dressed and professional at all times. The camera never lies but amplifies imperfections. Folks are accustomed to seeing neatly dressed people on TV. Being un kept would only make us look like a bunch of yahoos.

On the other hand, if filming is inevitable act like a Rock Star, flex your biceps on the lift, suck your belly in on the kneel, smile a lot and make sure your fly is up and your collar is down. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.