How do you process thing out on the field?

CaliChic

Richard the EMT,

Thank you so much for the link very touching...

Race Medic ,

Thank you it is comforting to know that you all are here

I think I will stay with this for awhile and see how it pans out

Thank you all so much

1. Humor is a good way to help get through most of this. It's truly why we do have black humor in EMS. In an effort to tickle your funny bone, http://www.thelunati...ems/rules.html.
  2. And add these thoughts to your memory bank. (1) Remember why you are here...it's to help people. (2) And, people die. It's a fact of life. My tag line used to read, "I don't save lives, God does. I'm just here to give him time to change his mind."

I hope this helps. And, we are here for you.

Toni

Thank you so much :) very wise words and advice..

btw, tried the link..didn't work :(

Cali, at the level that you seem to be now, it's probably best that you missed the CISD anyway. It was my impression that most places didn't offer it any more as it's been clearly proved to be at best a zero, and at worst, harmful.

People cope in many different ways, and some choose not to cope at all and leave. Most ways are fine, whatever works for you. What isn't acceptable is finding that you aren't coping and then continue to move forward anyway.

As to having a hard time treating the patient...at this very early stage it is vital that you rethink your reasons for wanting to be involved in EMS. At the heart of EMS is patient advocacy. You are morally and ethically bound to try to do all that you can without regard to such things. Also, the whole, "I knew from the beginning that he had caused this..." thing is bullshit Babe. In the beginning of these types of accidents no one knows anything. And I'm thinking that a cop that would make a special point to say something like that likely knew less than anyone else.

A patient smelling of alcohol does not a villian make. Someone posted a study here once that stated that of (from memory) accidents caused by a car with a single occupant that crosses a lane of traffic that over 50% have an acute cardiopathy (for what that's worth.) How would you feel, after having all of this drama in your brain, to find that this evil drunk person was actually a dad on the way home to his family after drinking a few O'Douls (alcohol free beer)?

Did the patient deserve better treatment from a provider without those thoughts? Who knows...maybe he was a douchebag. But YOU deserved better from yourself. You deserved to come away from that call knowing that though the wannb's may have been focused on who did what, you simply provided professional, compassionate emergency care without getting all bound up in that shit. And you didn't, not if you 'spoke to him as little as possible." At the end of the day your treatment will always be a reflection of who you are, not who the patient was.

Bottom line? In patient treatment it is me against the pathology. There are processes at work trying to hurt my patient. They are betting (speaking abstractly) that they can harm my patient despite my best efforts control/reverse them, and that really pisses me off. If my patient gets worse, either mentally/physically/emotionally while in my care..than I lose. And I friggin hate that. If they get better, at least physically, then I win. Should I be able to make them better in all three areas, regardless of the severity of the original pathology, then it's a friggin' home run! And I like that a lot.

I don't care if you start with a multi car MVC with bodies littering the road, or you pick up Joe drunk for the third time this week, you have the ability to make a difference to them in a human sense.

EMS is full of bullshit games Babe. Should I have, did he deserve, do I care too much, not enough, etc, etc...and they're all good to consider. But don't let any of them define you.

Should you have considered whether or not your patient was a good or bad person? Of course not, you already knew that. Should you have been prepared to do all of the right things, think all of the right things, feel all of the right ways the first time that you were exposed to such a situation? Absolutely not.

Intellectually, emotionally, physically, professionally EMS is on a non stop learning curve. You have to accept that you can't always do the right thing, that even when you may have been able to, you might not have known how. Admit to your temporary weakness, move on, be stronger and do better...it sounds to me as if that's exactly what you're trying to do here..

I'm so much weaker as a provider today that I wish I was. But you know what? I'm stronger and smarter today than yesterday because you came to visit. And I'll be a little bit stronger and smarter tomorrow thanks to my friends here.

Good on you. I'll give you credit for a line drive double....Pretty friggin' good for a rookie.

Dwayne

Edited for spelling errors.

We were not first at scene, there were other rigs there, I was on a BLS unit we were just in the area when they called for additional rigs

there was 6 pts and I think 3 or 4 were gone by then .. It was early in the morning and was our first call, no smell of alcohol

Thanks Dwayne, your right..now that you mention that and I think about it, I am not going to apply for my EMS card.. I was going to do that tomorrow.. but since my insides were upset about the baby..its proably for the best or maybe I wait for awhile later

Thank you Bernhard for the link :)

Thanks Dwayne, your right..now that you mention that and I think about it, I am not going to apply for my EMS card.. I was going to do that tomorrow.. but since my insides were upset about the baby..its proably for the best or maybe I wait for awhile later

:)

EMS is an emotional job. It is littered with the realization of our limitations, weaknesses and failures. EMS is also marked by our training, fortitudes, skill and positive qualities. Each one of these situations teach us valuable lessons that most people never have the opportunity to learn, each experience can strengthen us or weaken us. Every time my patient does well and recovers I feel good, my confidence increases and I feel I made a real difference. When the illness or trauma surpasses my ability to help. I feel the pain of impotence, the fear of inadequacy and the desperation of defeat.

The important thing is that every single service I feel. EMS makes me live life and life to the fullest. Don't get sucked into that stemming pile of crap that we should not feel for our patients. That we should not care. That we should turn a blind eye to others pain, illness and misadventure. Caring makes us more human and better providers.

Simply think of what the situation would have been if you had not been there. You made a difference in all the patient’s life. The fact that you where there freed up resources to care for the child. You were not only helping your patient. You were helping them all.

As for being angry at your patient because you thought he caused the accident, there are just too many factors you don't know for you to validate the feeling. The other driver could have been texting, putting on their makeup, fiddling with the radio spilling their coffee on their lap or all the other dangerous stuff people do while driving. Was the child properly restrained? Were they driving at a safe speed? Had they put off the break job just one day too long? You get the picture.

I know you made a difference. What you are feeling we all have felt and learned to live with it. Some build a emotional wall to block out their feelings, some ignore it, others embrace them. I choose the latter. I choose living.

I wouldn't quit just yet. Go for the card. Work for a few months and then decide. You will be surprised at what a huge difference time and experience will make. At least after time you will be sure.

• Like 1

Calichic, please DON'T process your emotions like many of our counterparts and I have done (and continue to struggle with) in the past, that is, with the bottle. That leads to dark places. Talk to someone about how you are feeling. It's too bad that you weren't invited to the CISD. Personally I think that's bullshit. I had a medic intern a few years ago that witnessed a warzone of an MVA with bodies everywhere and he was invited to the CISD. Students fall under the legal umbrella of the school they took the classes at when they are on the rig, so maybe if you feel you could use some formal support you could ask them. Talk to one of your EMT instructors also, as they usually are experienced and have felt similar feelings.

Lastly, do not be ashamed that you expressed your emotions with tears. That is a HEALTHY reaction to tragedy. A human reaction. I have been on scenes where medics I respect greatly were crying alongside with family. The first time you witness tragedy involving children, it is difficult. You are emotional because you care, which is why you chose this field. We want compassionate people caring for our family members.

Calichic your responce is normal, and what I no of some people to do is to surround themselfs with people with experince in the EMS field and they can give you ways to cope with certain calls, and like how EMT city Sophomore said if you had to get on here and ask for ways how to deal with certain calls.

Cali, other than where I pointed to you specifically my comments were meant to express my feelings on EMS providers in general.

If you came away from my post believing that I felt, or was suggesting that you abandon EMS I'll ask that you reread my post, as that was in no way my intention.

I don't know any good providers that don't reassess their reasons for doing nearly everything, including staying in EMS, on a regular basis. There is no shame in doing so, though I believe that there certainly should be shame in not doing so.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. You seem to have an amazing spirit...

Dwayne