Rural Health Clinic

chbare

One of our physicians was involved with the case as well.

Sssssh I'm not actually a doctor, oh dear, um, did you get the impression I was? poo *takes off white coat

Just don't tell the Medical Council :D

After 24 hours, all appeared well. Then, the patient returned to the clinic at about the 36 hour mark with the exact same signs and symptoms. What to do?

He needs to go to a real hospital where them blokes de medicino can have a fossik around; basically meaning he'll get stuck in chairs and reviewed by the dangerously overworked, underfed and sleep deprived House Officers in Minors :D

I'm going to have a squiz at my microbiology book to see what we have here

Edited by kiwimedic

Is that the real pic or an Internet sample ... hell I am so envious if you have that capability in gram staining AND Micro photography .. Nice !

Ok a stab in the dark ... gram positive somethings ?

Is that the real pic or an Internet sample ... hell I am so envious if you have that capability in gram staining AND Micro photography .. Nice !

The Defense budget is how many billion dollars now? You know they might be eating dehydrated noodles and crackers for chow but their clinic lab is world class :D

Yeah, gram positive something ... where is that Koch bloke when you need him?

Edited by kiwimedic

It's a Wiki commons photograph. However, I have the ability to take my own photos of histology and bacterial samples via a microscope and flex camera. One of the benefits of being employed by a college. In fact, my paramedic students will be spending Monday in our physiology lab doing histology and an exercise in tonicity where they draw my blood, citrate it to prevent coagulation, then set up microscopic mounts and appreciate the RBC's as they add solutions of various tonicity. Unfortunately, I don't have any samples of the problem in this scenario.

I'll give you a hint. The picture cannot be a Gram stain. You are not looking at bacteria per se, the ghostly blobs are red blood cells. However, the granular structures within the RBC at the bottom centre of the photo...

Edited by chbare

By the way, I wanted to say that I am really enjoying this. I don't get to use my remote duty set of skills much anymore. And we usually didn't have the luxury of things like labs or x-rays unless we sent them out when I was actively using those skills.

Those ring structures look a little concerning also.

Indeed. So, we need to diagnose the overall disease and identify the specific causative organism. I appreciate the fact that you are holding back a bit. It looks like people are really thinking and researching this one. However, the scenario takes a crazy turn after we have a diagnosis.

Looking at the smear, I would say someone here already made the diagnosis. The doxy is a good start but we will need to add something else.

P. falciparum commonly known as malaria or blackwater fever. ERDoc thanks for holding back and letting us take a shot at it.

Edited by DFIB