Word(s) of the day

Whew....thanks for that....

Every since someone here said, "irregardless isn't a word!" about a hundred years ago and I looked it up I've really hated using language poorly when I can help it....I had another one of those moments here..grin.

I feel much better now...

Dwayne

Oxyuriasis: Pinworms are the most common worm infection in the United States. They are most common in school-age children.

Pinworm eggs are spread directly from person to person. They can also be spread by touching bedding, food, or other items contaminated with the eggs.

Female worms then move to the child's anal area, especially at night, and deposit more eggs. This may cause intense itching. The area may even become infected. When the child scratches the itching anal area, the eggs can get under the child's fingernails. These eggs can be transferred to other children, family members, and items in the house.

Your doctor may have you do a tape test. A piece of cellophane tape is pressed against the skin around the anus, and removed. This should be done in the morning before bathing or using the toilet, because bathing and wiping may remove eggs. The doctor will stick the tape to a slide and look for eggs using a microscope.

PubMed Health. A service of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.

A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia. Atlanta (GA): A.D.A.M.; 2011.

A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia

Hello,

Fecalith: A hard stony mass of feces. A fecalith can obstruct the appendix, leading to appendicitis. Fecaliths also can obstruct diverticuli. Called also a coprolith and stercolith. From fecal + -lith for stone.

lol.....

Here is a new one I heard the other day:

Channelopathies: Inherited diseases caused by defects in cell proteins called ion channels.

Cheers

Edited by DartmouthDave

• 1 month later...

Masticate = To Chew

I hate it when people say "mute" and mean "moot"...and then use it incorrectly.

Olecranon Process = process of the ulna that forms the outer bump of the elbow and fits into the fossa of the humerus when the arm is extended.

Myopic -

1. Ophthalmology . pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.

2. Unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.

3. Lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.

A multipurpose word for EMS...

Dwayne

• Like 1

It's interesting how when you mispronounce a word it's a mispronunciation! And before AK gets a word in...having an accent is not the same as mispronouncing a word! (Americans have to change everything- pronunciation and spelling!) :whistle:

Here's one to put in your report for your next TBI patient (that patient that keeps repeating the same thing over and over again!):

per·sev·er·ate

[per-sev-uh-reyt] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif

verb (used without object), -at·ed, -at·ing.

to repeat something insistently or redundantly: to perseverate inreminding children of their responsibilities.

I actually used horripilation in a report once to see who was paying attention! It's such a funny word.

Edited by Aussieaid

I actually used horripilation in a report once to see who was paying attention! It's such a funny word.

I love that word! My high school English teacher used it often and it just stuck.

She also used xanthopsia-referring to a yellow tinge to vision.(She wore the same yellow dress three days in a row to make that one stick, it worked!)

I later learned that this can be a side effect of digoxin toxicity.