Helping a new paramedic get his foot in the door.

My only advice on this subject, having been through the hiring process as of late (with budget cuts and job cuts), is your first impression. Having a resume that dresses up what your qualifications are will make the difference between having it sent to the round file or the recruitment file. Salesmanship is the way in these days to any job. Example; "spent 3 months volunteer time on rural fire rescue." Change that to "provided ALS and BLS care to emergent and inter-facility patients within state and county guidelines with a rural ambulance service." My grandpa used to say, "if you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with bullshit!" He was right. How you word your credentials and experience in a resume can change the perception of how good of a candidate you are. Make good use of your experiences during your field rotations and play them up. If you only got 3 intubations, make them sound good. My rule of thumb is write it down as good as you would embelish it when you tell your friends! Good luck on the hunt.

• Like 2

My rule of thumb is write it down as good as you would embelish it when you tell your friends!

Love it! I'll be borrowing that one in the future! (Thanks, in advance...)

Toni

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to say without having ever met or interviewed you. I would say if you are getting interviews and not getting offers it is about you, your interview skills, or your lack of skills. If you are not getting interviews it is probably more about the economy. The best thing you can do is network, but remember most governments have been furloughing employees and have not been filling vacancies. It took government about 18 months to feel this economy after private businesses, so any recovery will take 18 months longer for government to rebound. A private service is probably your best bet.

You may have to relocate...in my area of Missouri we can't get enough Paramedics to fill shifts at our local Hospital based unit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.