how does your department deal with cell phone ring tones?

One Paramedic, whom I worked with while he was still an EMT, just silenced his cell phone ringer when assignments came in. Good reason was, when his wife called, the "ring" was the classic "Twilight Zone" theme, and if it was from his in-laws (mom, dad, and younger of the 2 sisters in law), the ring was "Who Let The Dogs Out?"

(FYI, I remain friends with the wife's family from before I knew she was dating him. I didn't date her, as I was then engaged to the girl from Teaneck, but the younger of the wife's siblings helped me get introduced to my "Lady J". Long story, file only will be sent on PMs.)

There are no "rules" about ringtones on either of my services. For the most part, those of us that carry a cell phone keep it on vibrate while we are working. I can't say there have been any complaints about the ringtones.

No rules concerning that in my service. I carry mine with me, with a "normal" ringtone. Since we don`t have a phone issued for duty, I quite often use it to communicate with dispatch.

As requested, the text of our Professional Commitment Statement. This was rolled out and placed on plaques in all our bases at the same time as the service issued wallet badges. It's part of a concerted effort lead by our Chief to build the image and traditions of the service both internally and externally.

Professional Commitment Statement (plaque is headed by a copy of our badge)

- I will advocate for all patients who require assistance;

- I will act in a manner that recognizes my patients are persons deserving of respect and the preservation of their dignity and privacy;

- I will ensure the safety of my patients, the safety of my colleagues and the safety of the public at all times;

- I will act in a manner that retains public confidence in our collective health care efforts.

I deleted my ring tone for the ambulance captain, which was a techno song clip that repeatedly said "I AM NOT A WHORE". Stemming from a party, an almost sobbing drunk said that. Heh.. It rang at the wrong time.

I recall one assignment where the Lieutenant's cellphone, assigned by the department, was set to vibrate, but was buzzing so loudly, the 2 Paramedics, my partner, the patient's family, the patient, and I were all looking at him.

Well, there was this one time, when I was still third manning. We were at an unconscious hypoglycaemia, the two paras were trying to get a line on the pat. (kinda hard with her) , when para 1`s phone rang, right after that para 2`s, he was corresponding to the dispatcher while who came into the living room? The emergency physician who was talking on his mobile...

Luckily I had forgot my phone at home this day - I`m sure it would have rung right at that moment, too.

Edited by Vorenus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.