how does your department deal with cell phone ring tones?

Are you talking about receiving personal calls while "on the clock" or just the ringtones themselves? I can't speak for any of the services around here, but I know my employer right now (the pharmacy) has said to keep your phone on silent/ vibe. Also, no answering calls while working with a patient. Do people stick to that? Not really... I know back in the lab, where I worked most of the time, I would answer my phone whenever needed, kept it on low ring volume, and would go into our chemical store room to talk. Yep... I'm a bad employee.

However, in the EMS setting, I can imagine the rules would be similar. If you're not actively engaged with a patient and not driving the truck, why couldn't you take a call?

As for the ringtones, what are we talking about? The best rule of thumb is to keep it professional. At the minimum, if you're going to use something other than a "ringing" noise, make sure it's work appropriate (ie; Lil' John songs= probably not a good idea).

IMHO, the fact that your employer has to come out with a policy statement about ringtones says a lot about the level of professionalism of the people they employ. When exactly did common sense die and how come I wasn't invited to the funeral?

Edited by Asysin2leads

I keep my phone on the VMMMMMMM, VMMMMMMMM tone. No one else can hear it, but gives me a bump in my pocket! ;o

Yes, but after 2 years of doing that...I have phantom buzzing in my left boob. :confused:

• Like 1

We don't have a policy about it but I learned my lesson one morning while we were working a code at the nursing home. In the middle of trying to get the tube my alarm went off with the song "I'm Here For The Party." I was mortified. Thank goodness there wasn't anyone in the room but EMS personnel. I have since learned to use actual alarm sounds for my alarm. It aggravates me when someone I'm working with has an obnoxious ringtone and I wish we had a policy in place to deal with it.

We don't. We have a professional commitment pledge on a plaque in every station. We also have a policy about general professionalism and conduct. Neither cover cell phones. Then again, no policy specifically forbids me from spitting on the floor of a patient's home. Professionalism is a big umbrella.

I keep my phone on vibrate for the whole work day and don't touch it unless on downtime. My partner doesn't keep her phone on vibrate, but the soft ring tone she uses rings very infrequently and is hardly noticeable and she certainly never answers it during a call.

If this is an issue that exists in a service, the service has far deeper problems and none of them will be solved with a single policy.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.