E-Readers and text books

paramedicmike

Richard, I'm not sure how failing to make every new gadget available to every segment of the population is a violation of civil rights?

I would argue that paper books are continuing to be published in non braille versions, cars, to the best of my knowledge are still blind exempt, etc, etc. How is this device not being blind 'friendly' a civil rights issue in any way?

Or, likely that is for another thread...

Dwayne

Richard - I have the older version Kindle and some of the books have a voice reproduction feature. Most of the new ones do. I just listened to The Hunger Games while on a trip. It has a male voice and a female voice. I of course prefer to hear the female voice in my ear. Does the new version not have this feature?

Just putting my 2 cents in

I much rather read a good ol' book myself

I wished I waited for the Kindle Fire, I have the nook color which I know you didn't want to hear about .. so I wont go into that

But figured Id say my experience with an ebook has not been bad, They are easy to use, and I am an idiot when it come to technology

I travel around with it and have not had any problems yet, and I'm a small female

books are cheaper on a ebook and they have the whole lending thing (between friends) and library borrowing and sometimes I watch youtube on it or surf the web. I have a battery life of 10hrs of constant use and now there have 12volt chargers so can plug it in and charge it on the go.

Don't know if that helps but good luck to you

I have a kindle myself and use it some for college. I find that for books without a lot of pictures it works just fine. For example my Sociology, Psychology, English books the kindle is great. I do not find it works well with books that have alot of pictures that you might need to see the detail such as biology or A&P. However, both my A&P and biology texts can with an online version of the book that is identical to the book and since I have to have a lap top to do most of my work anyway that works out well. Down side is you have to be online to get to it but I found that if I am going to do some traveling and won't have internet that I can print to PDF form and access it that way when I am flying and such.

I do like that the kindle is not back lit and find it is easier on my eyes especially since I can increase the font and sometimes even let the kindle read the book to me. Most times however I just increase the font and read it myself, unless I'm trying to multi-task. I can't speak to the Kindle Fire but I might see if I can find some place locally that has a demo model that I can go put my hands on as it seems like it might be an improvement from the last kindle. OH and I like that the kindle has internet built into it and it doesn't cost me to use it. While not as user friendly as say an ipad, I have to say it still is pretty useful especially in a pinch.