Appreciating every day I have.

Tyler_EMT

I've only been working in EMS for a little over a year now. I'm still very new and still learning a lot of how te EMS system works. The heartbreak and other things i've witnessed on scene or in the ambulance have made me appreciate my life and everybody thats in it. We've all seen that an everyday normal routine can very easily become the last thing you ever do. EMS has opened my eyes on how precious life really is. We're here one minute and can be gone the next, doesn't really seem fair. But thats how the big man upstairs does it sometimes (I apologize to anyone who is offended by a refrence to religion)

Don't hold back you love. Don't leave important things unsaid. Keep you life policy up to date. Live every day like it was your last.

I love life but don't fear dying.

Tyler,

Do not apologize for your personal beliefs to anyone. That is yours and yours alone. No one here can or will fault you for that. you may be challenged but not faulted. I was raised Catholic (not confirmed), Baptized Southern Baptist, But have my own ideas. I do not follow any ones belief but my own. However i do fall back on my former preachers and priests to help me make sense of things. Do not forget them, they are a valuable resource especially if you hold your faith close.

If your beliefs have given you strength and hope they will serve you well in this field, But by the same token this career field will shake your faith down to the foundational core. As you progress you will see just how disturbed and cruel humans can be and are to each other.

Hold true to yourself, your beliefs, and follow Dfibs advice

Race

Edited by RaceMedic

You couldnt be more right Tyler. This job will show you things that people on the outside of EMS can only have nightmares about.

Last Friday, I was called to the scene of a moter vehicle accident. 2 cars involved....a pick up truck and a smaller SUV. The fire chief told me that the driver of the pick up had some cuts on his face but was refusing transport. The driver of the other car, he told me, was DOA. A mother of 2, moved here from Louisianna, working for the gas company, (the other driver, from Texas, also worked for the gas company.) She had dropped her kids off at school, was heading for the pad to work. Just like that...she was dead and her families life had been changed forever.

However you find comfort, whatever way you find to cope with the awful things we see, whatever works for you. Whether its going to church or punching a bag or walking through the woods...hold onto it. As Defib said, love freely and openly, tell your family how much you love them and appreciate them. Say you're sorry if you hurt someone. Dont wait until tomorrow, because tomorrow may not come.

I have had my faith shaken to the point that I didnt want to do this anymore. I fought through it and in doing so I realized that this is the only thing that I have ever really wanted to do. I dont do formal religion per se. But I believe that there is a higher power and theres a reason why we feel the need to do this job.

Race - I have loads of SBC buddies. Good people all.

Tyler EMT - There are things that define us. our love for our families, friends and society. Our knowledge and how we use it to earn a living and help others. I think the most defining factor in my life is faith. Anything good I could ever do stems from it.

Faith prepares us for life and dying. It sustains us when we feel totally alone. I don’t know who the “big man upstairs” is for you but God is always available to come to our aid. You will never hear me mack on you for mentioning religion or faith. It is too important. I congratulate you for being sensitive to what others might think but willing to say what you feel and believe as well.

P.S. Some troll is going to try and give us all the blues for our comments. Just ignore them. They are entitled to not believe just as much as you we are to believe.

Thanks for the replies. All of what i've heard from you guys is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have a very supportive family as well tha helps me stay on my feet when I get back from an emotionally rough shift. Though like most of our families they are unsure at times of why i do what i do, they still are proud that i go out and help people for a living. I'm glad that I found this site. conversating about something that means a lot to me with people who fully understand it makes me feel good.