Paediatrics

Kiwiology

Hi all

I have a side interest in tutoring at our Diploma (BLS) and Paramedic (ILS) levels.

It should be well noted I do not under any circumstance utilise the standard "Paramedic" texts (Caroline/Bledsoe et al etc) and teach only from established medical texts, in fact my medical library probably rivals or exceeds most medical libraries! (probably means I have no life?)

What I am looking for a bit of help on is something concise that lists the key anatomical and physiologic differences between adult and child ... it's doing my head in.

I've looked through the following and haven't gotten very far except isolated snippets

- Bates (physical exam 10e)

- Guyton (medical physiology 12e)

- Nelson (paediatrics 17e)

- Roberts (clinical problems in paediatrics 5e)

- Bunch of two semester A&P books (e.g. Marieb)

Now I never did like kids, whining, crying snivelling little buggers who wriggle around and seem fine then up and die on you from missed meningococcal septicaemia after you left them at home and now I can see why :D

Thanks

Your best bet is to refer to an EM text (yup, I'm biased). Most of the texts you have referenced are aimed towards that specialty so there is no need to compare the differences. In EM, we see everyone so having an understanding of the differences is crutial. Take a look at Tintinali and move on from there. As my residency director drilled into us, "Kids are NOT just little adults."

Thanks mate!

I consulted the following

- Rosen (Emergency Medicine 7e)

- Tintinali (Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 7e)

- Harwood-Nuss (Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine, 4e)

... and I found some tidbits of useful information even tho it's a bit broken down and spread around

Suprisingly Fleisher (Textbook of Paediatric Emergency Medicine, 5e) was less helpful

My human development book is good for that psychological touchy-feely wishy-washy crap but doesn't help ...

Y'know my friend the House Officer (PGY1) said everybody on her paediatrics run was shaking in their boots; I don't blame them, children are useful for collecting Government tax benefits, pre-boarding the airplane and fetching beer and snacks for you when old enough but bloody hell sick children are so complex! :D

Oh my medical library (containing well over 100 textbooks) is open to all for free; if you don't bring the book back just ask Shattered Legs Charlie what happens :P (*.... goes to find orthopaedic textbook)

Edited by kiwimedic