Pros and Cons of EMTCity

DwayneEMTP

The belief that ones own EMS system sets the standard by which all others are judged. There is a whole world of EMS out there - quite possibly more advanced and progressive than the majority of us have experienced.

Um, hello ... best scope of practice/clinical practice guidelines and highest education standards for civilian Ambulance Officers in the world? What else would you judge based on? :P

Emergency Medical Technician (one year Diploma)

OPA, NPA, LMA, 12 lead ECG acquisition, tourniquets, PEEP values, paracetamol, entonox, methoxyflurane, aspirin, GTN, oral glucose, IM glucagon, salbutamol neb, ipatropium neb, adrenaline neb, ondansetron, IM adrenaline, lortidine

Paramedic (Bachelors Degree)

All of the above + 12 lead ECG interpretation, manual defibrillation, cardioversion, IV cannulation, IV fluid administration, blood cultures, adrenaline IV, morphine, fentanyl, naloxone, midazolam, ceftriaxone, amiodarone (cardiac arrest)

Intensive Care Paramedic (Post Graduate Certificate)

All of the above + laryngoscopy, endotracheal intubation, cricothyrotomy, pacing, intraosseous access, adenosine, ketamine, midazolam (sedation), vecuronium, RSI (select Intensive Care Officers only)

/taking the piss :D

Edited by kiwimedic

I was thinking more these guys dutch-flag-45.gif

I think your smiley is holding a French flag ... SMUR/SAMU are staffed by Senior Registrar's or Consultants heck our Intensive Care Paramedic's cant beat that ...

What? You mean two good old boys chewing cud or tobacco showing up in a spiffed out Ford F450 or horrendous Freightliner sporting the latest Galls fashion, an orange tackle box full of pre-filled drugs, strapping you to a longboard, putting in two big bore drips and having either one of the five Firefighters, two cops and Medical Director that has shown up on scene squeezing the bags of crystalloid and you drive priority 1 to the hospital to beat the Golden Hour ain't how it's supposed to be done?

I was only taking the piss anyway, don't want y'all thinking I'm being pretentious or something

Oh ... and ORCON = new Golden Hour (read: pile of steaming shit)

Edited by kiwimedic

Pros-

The attitude here in regards to EMS mostly mirrors my own: anti fire-based, anti volunteer (for the most part-- miss you Dusty!), pro education, pro discussion. I think there is something to do with the nature of the place that attracts people interested in discussing what might have gone wrong. That differs quite a bit from the average attitude on the job. I enjoy getting in (professional) arguments about this stuff, and a lot of times these forums have been happy to oblige haha.

Cons-

The forums are a little slow. Would definitely like to see more activity.

Sometimes I think people get a little caught up in singing the same songs-- "we need more education," "we need to get more respect as a profession" etc without ever really considering what that means or how to start moving in that direction. A complaint is good, a goal is better, and a plan beats them all. Oftentimes we get stuck on the lowest rung in that respect...

Would like to see more ALS discussion that pushes the boundaries of stuff we already know. I'm sick of talking about whether or not we should be intubating haha.

Pros:

Most everyone speaks English. Even the Aussies and Kiwis are learning.

The most amazing spirits of any groupd of people that I've ever been involved with long term.

Cons:

We can be a little bit hard of on those that are simply curious instead of committed.

Sometimes when folks screw the pooch in one thread they seem to have a target painted on their back in all that follow. Each thread, perhaps even each comment should be judged on it's own merit.

Dwayne

I think there is too much hero worship among the newbies, it reminds me of the Porky's movie "So sayeth _______________,

so sayeth the FLOCK". Just because someone has alot of experience does not mean they are GOD, they can be wrong.

And I agree with Dwayne about the negative rankings that stay with you, regardless of what you say. I really don't care what my score is, but I would have hoped by now that you guys recognized that sometimes I take the whackiest opposing views just to make you explain/analyze your position. I imagine I am not the only one who does that from time to time.

• Like 1

I think there is too much hero worship among the newbies, it reminds me of the Porky's movie "So sayeth _______________,

so sayeth the FLOCK". Just because someone has alot of experience does not mean they are GOD, they can be wrong.

The flock is gooood, the flock is wise.

And I agree with Dwayne about the negative rankings that stay with you, regardless of what you say. I really don't care what my score is, but I would have hoped by now that you guys recognized that sometimes I take the whackiest opposing views just to make you explain/analyze your position. I imagine I am not the only one who does that from time to time.

It would help if you tell us you are playing the "devil’s advocate". This would cue the rest of us less psychic participants that you are still serious and not just pulling our chain.

Edited by DFIB

And I conclude that your inherent belief that none of us ever consider an opposing point of view until you show up and show us the light highlights your supreme arrogance and may explain your negative score.

Edited by Asysin2leads
  • Like 1

I think Welshmedic would beg to differ. :fish:

Good man! But well, what do you expect from a Kiwi?

(note to Kiwi: it's the Dutch flag you dingbat! :bonk: )

And Scott, thanks for the compliment! I'm very flattered, on behalf of all my colleagues, even if I'm not sure it's true. There are some pretty smart people around here too.

WM

Edited by WelshMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.