City members who haved served

Tyler_EMT

Please come forward and tell what branch you served in and your job you had during your service. I was an 11B infantrymen in the US Army. I was discharged after I broke my knee during a combat training excercise. Besides EMS the military is the best thing i've done with my life. I've gained a lot of friends and lost friends who I will never forget. Thanks in advance for the members who respond to this for your servic to this country.

• Like 2

US Navy Seabees. 1972 -1984 Elephant Operator 2nd class when I got out. Spent 2 years at a navcomsta in Western Australia, then got stuck with mobile Battalions. Got tired of visiting some of the bigger shitholes in the world and never being home for more than a few months.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm full out civilian, but the son of a WW2 US Army T-4 Sargent and a US Army WAC PFC. They were 2 kids from Brooklyn, attended different units of the Pratt Institute, at the same time, and met at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

• Like 1

The closest I ever came with NJROTC in high school and I was offered a commission with the US Navy when I was accepted to USUHS (military medical school in Bethesda, MD) but declined after reading the fine print. Both of my grandfathers served. One was in the US Army Air Corps but could never get overseas because of his asthma. The other faked his birth certificate to enter the Army at 17y/o and became a Ranger. He was at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th and later ended up a Japanese POW. He never spoke of his service and refused to ever eat rice. My father-in-law was a Navy Corpsman (HM2) during Vietnam who was stationed with the USMC 1/13 and received 2 bronze stars and 2 purple hearts before being honorably discharged for combat wounds.

I as well came as close as Doc, in the ROTC in college.

My father was in the Air Force on a midwest airforce base as a dental technician. NOthing fancy.

The closest I ever came with NJROTC in high school and I was offered a commission with the US Navy when I was accepted to USUHS (military medical school in Bethesda, MD) but declined after reading the fine print. Both of my grandfathers served. One was in the US Army Air Corps but could never get overseas because of his asthma. The other faked his birth certificate to enter the Army at 17y/o and became a Ranger. He was at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th and later ended up a Japanese POW. He never spoke of his service and refused to ever eat rice. My father-in-law was a Navy Corpsman (HM2) during Vietnam who was stationed with the USMC 1/13 and received 2 bronze stars and 2 purple hearts before being honorably discharged for combat wounds.

The USUHS also does public health placements, not just military. They pay ~$80k a year while in school as well.

The USUHS also does public health placements, not just military. They pay ~$80k a year while in school as well.

What even during the sequestration????

What even during the sequestration????

I can't speak for the public health side but in the med school, you were a commissioned officer (O-1) with full pay and benefits, with certain expectations beyond med school.