Is it really hard for a new EMT-B to find work?

EMTDenny

I am just curious. Was it tough to find work in EMS agencies. I've had my cert for 2 months and nothing yet... Most places told me I need experience. I mean I am volunteering but not many calls come thru when I am doing hours. Maybe it's harder since I already have a full time job??? I would love to switch jobs but I feel the pay difference is lower for EMS. But then again I really want to move forward in a EMS career despite the pay difference For example, I get paid now 17.50 an hour at my current job. I keep hearing here in NY in the city of Yonkers the starting pay is around 11.00 an hour.

Now has anyone ever been in a situation like this? I know for sure I am not doing EMS for the money. Please feel free to share your experience.

Thanks in advance!

Denny

Obviously, I can't speak for your location. However, in my area, if you want to work as an EMT you will have to drive a bit to find a rural service that actually employs EMTs. My local service and, I believe, 2 counties over have dual paramedic trucks. But, there are paying jobs.

Now, to your comment about needing experience. I got hired on with zero paramedic experience in a paramedic position. What experience I did have came from...as you...volunteering while working a full time job. And, that takes time. Additionally, I interviewed with confidence on what experience I do have and how it will relate to EMS along with the fact that I didn't hesitate when I said that I was looking for a full time position and this is what I want to do with my life. (Not to mention, I was the ONLY one in a suit and that just so happened to impress the hiring committee. Imagine that...I went in dressed as a professional. HA)

Based on what you've written above, it sounds like you are still not too sure on what you want to do with your life. You will need to do that before you can confidently convince an interview board that this really is what you want.

My recommendation is to continue in your current path (as I think I am seeing it). Continue volunteering and do it for different types of services and events. You may not get 911 experience but you will have patient contact experience.

For the financial aspect...I'm going to suggest the following. Since you seem to be on the fence about the pay, take the difference between what an EMT makes and what you are currently making and put that in to a savings account. Do it before you do anything else with your check. Go for a few months on that salary to make sure that this REALLY is the path you want to take. This might hep you to decide you can indeed do it before you give up that salary for something you love.

Toni

Please keep in mind that EMTs are a dime a dozen. There is way more supply than demand. As the free market would dictate, when employees are that easily replaceable, wages are going to be low. This is even more-so when the requirements to become an EMT are not that stringent.

You've touched on the wage differences between what you're doing now and an EMT job. You've said a couple times that you're not doing EMS for money. While I don't know what you're financial situation is outside of work you really do need to consider the financial aspect of EMS if this is something you really want to pursue. Money, of course, isn't everything. However, EMS-ers often find themselves working multiple jobs just to make enough money to get by. Never mind the financial issues of trying to go out on a nice date or raising a family. So if you're already looking at a pretty significant pay cut to take an EMS job, you should probably be thinking about what you're going to do to supplement your income in order to make up the difference. Of course, the side effect of that is spending all your time at work and not having much actually free, not at work time. This is little more than a recipe for burn out.

So while right now, when you're in a reasonable financial state, it's easy to say you're not too concerned about money. But you really do need to consider finances when contemplating a change like this.

Toni has a good idea with regards to trying to live off of $11 an hour for the next several months. Make sure you take the appropriate taxes out so that you're trying to live off what you would really be living on at that wage rate. Save the rest because if you make the switch you'll probably need the savings. You could also be trying for part time EMT work to expose yourself a little more to the industry. This could also help you decide if this is a jump you really want to make.

I understand, too, that you're young and excited and want to get involved. But EMS has been here for years. It'll probably be around for a few more years. There will always be another call. Be patient. Do this right. And you'll succeed. So far you seem to be trying to do it right.

Good luck.

I worked as an EMT-B for a while, before and during paramedic school. Toni is correct you will probably have to drive into a rural area that hires EMT-B unless you are willing to work for a transfer service, in which you might be able to find a job working in the city somewhere. Don't be too hard on transfer services, if nothing else it gives you a chance to become very comfortable with the basic skills and gives you great insight into chronic disease processes, both items I found very useful in when I went through paramedic school. But remember the pay isn't great....it's been a while since I've worked as an EMT-B but I was making about $8/hr and ended up working as an EMT-B, a cashier at a convenience store, a fee collector at a park and as an admin assistant for a fire department to make ends meet.

This is one topic I can weigh in on with some experience. I have been in EMS for 5 years. Before that I ran a successful architectural firm in AZ. After career burnout, the only option was to pursue my first childhood dream...becoming a paramedic. I never took into account the financial aspect and how substantially lower the pay would be. Until the industry is recognized for it's merit rather than it's perception, we will continue to be underpaid. EMT's are a dime a dozen as said already because for every town, there is a college that holds EMT classes. The same type of situation with medical assistants. The demand for EMT's and Paramedics has dropped since most private ambulance services have been a stepping stone for people trying to get into the fire service (where fire and ems are combined). With the schools still turning out the EMTs and Paramedics, but the municipal services cutting back on hiring, there has for the first time in 40 years been a surplus of EMTs and Paramedics. How I got my foot in the door? I drove 500 miles one way to work for a friend's ambulance company where my folks live. The more rural services are willing to take a chance on a green newbie because they don't have the option of picking among 200 applicants for one job. My advice as already stated in the thread is to look in the rural areas. Make the sacrifice if you can afford it to drive and get the 1 year experience under your belt. You will be much more marketable to the urban services once you do.

Supply is way higher than demand for EMT's nearly uinversally and in many areas in the country it carries over to paramedic too.

On the contrary, in my line of full time work, the supply is way below the demand so my industry (my area of expertise especially) is having a banner year in terms of wages. About 40% higher than what they were pre-economic downturn. I'm making the most of this opportunity because I know it won't last forever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.