The "New Guy"

Tyler_EMT

I heard a story from my department about one of the new hires getting duct taped to the light post by the road where everyone could see him on his first shift, that being said he doesn't work for us anymore. Thats the kind of stuff I meant. I 100% agree that joking around is definantely a must in this feild for a release. Thanks for all the replies and opinions this post. I'm sorr if this post came out to anyone in an assumption that all joking around is bad. i didn't mean to sound cross. i'm probably one of the nicest guys in the world so nobody will ever have a spat with me. just lazy and don't take the time to type out the words to express dialog. lol

Tyler my friend I am not busting your balls but just want to give you a little advice.

Take the time to type out the dialog. This forum is very well respected by many and read by many experienced medics around the world and you will be judged by how you present yourself on this forum.

Just by reading your little saying underneath your posts tells me you are young and sure enough when I checked I was correct. We do enjoy the odd trauma call from time to time but in my opinion it is not a good day when I have a trauma call as it is going to affect that persons life, their family's life and possibly my life. Please keep that in mind when doing a trauma call.

I should mention welcome to the city and please keep posting questions and comments as I was just offering a little advice and don't take as if I was saying your are just a dumb kid who should not be posting on this forum cause I am not. All I am saying is take the time to type out what you are trying to say and proof read it before posting!

I myself need to proof read my posts once or twice as my spelling and grammer are not the best but I want to make a good impression as you never know who is reading your post.

Happy to have you part of the city and I look forward to reading your future posts and comments.

Brian

I

Edit: Not trying to beat a dead horse. Redundancy due to PCP and I posting at the same time.

I heard a story from my department about one of the new hires getting duct taped to the light post by the road where everyone could see him on his first shift...

Yeah, I've never worked, nor even visited a place where they had enough people to get this done.

...I'm sorr if this post came out to anyone in an assumption that all joking around is bad. i didn't mean to sound cross.

I didn't think that you came across like that, nor sounded cross. You did well making your point, to my way of reading it at least.

i'm probably one of the nicest guys in the world so nobody will ever have a spat with me. just lazy and don't take the time to type out the words to express dialog. lol

But your laziness doesn't only reflect on how I see you, but how you see me as well. If my/our opinion isn't worth the effort of proof reading your posts to try and post in an intelligent manner, then you really don't value my/our opinions very much, right?

Many of us started out here with posts looking like they were created by a drunken 4th grader, as when we start we don't always understand the tone or the context of the forums. But this is a professional forum for people that want to do their best, and want to get better. This is a great place to do both.

And this is also an excellent place to practice your presentation for the times that you'll need it in the real world as well. Which, believe it or not, should be every day, whether you have reports to write or not.

I'm not busting your balls brother, I'm truly not. Only trying to help you learn to get the most from the City, as well as your professional EMS career.

Dwayne

Downside...I'm a little on the outside of the "family" and he is right in the middle of it.

As an "innie" and not an "outtie" with juvenile macho male types, you will never be in the middle of it and believe me, you don't want to be. I watched dumber, less motivated, less educated young men become totally accepted within months, while I, being hired at the same time, fought for my place for years. I concentrated on what I cared about (patient care) and let that crap go over my head. If I was inclined to seek advancement within the company structure, it would be frustrating and painful, but as this is my version of the Walmart greeter job, I can ignore it.

That being said, when the scariest charge nurse in the entire ED played a practical joke on me (she put a cockroach in my clipboard), I was outwardly pissed and inwardly elated. I was IN!

• Like 1

i don't haze the new guy or knock on him at all. i greet all of them with a handshake and welcome them to our department and tell them i look forward to working with them. Has anybody else had this problem?

Which problem? Handshaking the new guy? No problem for me. :)

In my younger days I never was victim to and now as a senior I never would allow a newbie prank, neither in career EMS department nor in my vollie group. Period. But no real need to intervene, because as far as I know my fellow colleagues see it the same way, management as well.

But I recall one (and since then I have the story for backing my opinion): ~20 years ago one of our medics always tried to get a new EMT "washed". For making it unable to flee he locked the door to the station. Then (outside) he ties the new EMT to a lifting chair "just to test" and then gets the hose. Eventually, one EMT managed to free himself and got to the hose earlier, washing the medic. The medic tried to flee and instantly forgot the locked door. I was the shift relief for him and arrived at the time, the ambulance just rolled out the station unable for me to catch up. Then I saw a broken door with bloody stains at knee and nose level. The "winning" EMT short after returned with the ambulance (he brought his partner into hospital two streets away) and told me the story, laughing all the way. The knee contusion and the almost broken nose (and a talk to management) cured the medic from playing this game anymore.

It was the same medic that once "jokingly" threats to poke me with a needle but withdraw as I clearly stated that if he would do this he will fly through the window. I must have been extremly clear, since he was an ex-military master sergeant and I always the smallest in class. :)

This medic was known for his strange jokes and had one or more talks to management about it. Beside that he was an intelligent guy and an above-average medic I had some severe calls with and team partnered willingly. Just never should get bored. He isn't with our service any more, retired early on invalidity some day. I suppose some PTSD.

Don't tell me about bonding or such. I consider newbie pranks just a bad habit and a tradition to break up instantly with. I rather base my newbie judging on his appearance on the first shifts - does he greet? does he ask questions (or already know the answers)? does he know his profession and/or meet his level of education? and most important: does he buy a round? :)

No Hazing in our station, but as far as hazing goes Crab fishermen are the worst, Hubby out fishing with pals, Gets a bucket of water, throws on cousin in the top bunk, Yells the boat is sinking. Cousin falls out of bunk, gets on life jacket and goes to the deck to find the rest laughing at him. For next two days cousin collects all the red jelly fish from the crab traps with out anyone noticing, then just before bed takes jelly fish and puts in the bottom of sleeping bags. Crew get into sleeping bags feel slime they jump out and their feet are covered and stinging because red jelly fish can sting dead or alive...... after that they decided to build a potato gun and have wars against the other crab boats for fun.

Red jellyfish? Be careful, some folks have such bad reactions to them, I've been called to the beach to remove them (the folks, not the "jellies") to nearby hospitals due to those reactions.

Yes, if the person is allergic as kiwi would say they are buggered.

A potato gun can be pretty deadly as well.

• 1 month later...

I am not fond of initiations but I thought this was kind of funny. I wonder if the Newbie got over it.

I think it touches the greater questions regarding training programs and hiring practices that allow EMTs to make it into the field without the assurance of their training.

http://www.tunesbaby.com/watch/?x=724929

This one made me chuckle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.