The "New Guy"

Tyler_EMT

I'd just like to take a few seconds and say something that bugs me about EMS and Fire in the aspect of crews. We all love to knock on eachother and give eachother a hard time but I will not do this in EMS period. I want whoever is working with me to trust me 100% and know that I trust them 100%. i don't haze the new guy or knock on him at all. i greet all of them with a handshake and welcome them to our department and tell them i look forward to working with them. Has anybody else had this problem?

I'd just like to take a few seconds and say something that bugs me about EMS and Fire in the aspect of crews. We all love to knock on eachother and give eachother a hard time but I will not do this in EMS period. I want whoever is working with me to trust me 100% and know that I trust them 100%. i don't haze the new guy or knock on him at all. i greet all of them with a handshake and welcome them to our department and tell them i look forward to working with them. Has anybody else had this problem?

I agree that the "hazing" has in some cases gotten out of hand but you are in control of how far you take it. But i would like to mention that EMS is a family in and of itself no different than in the fire service or Law enforcement. there is and will be hard times given and arguments pranks and so on. DO not take it personally unless it is a personal attack. If you choose not to take part personally that is your choice. But please do not ( not saying that you have) pass judgement on those of that do.

Race

I understand. There needs to be good fun in this feild of work. People would burn out way more if the had no way to release all the emotions we gather from our job. i guess i should have been specific when and said when it comes to the person being picked on questions whether he/she can trust his/her co-workers.

Disclaimer here - I was you. I'm a little older than most of the people at my service, by a few years. When I started here and would listen to the stories of the hazing, I would just cringe, mostly because I feel I am too old for these shenanigans. Now, I didn't come in saying "please don't do that to me", I did verbalize how childish I thought that was. Upside...at the same time I was a cadet, there was also a 20yo EMT going through the hiring process as well. And he gladly accepted the hazing.

Downside...I'm a little on the outside of the "family" and he is right in the middle of it. I wish now I had kept my mouth shut and let whatever was to come, come. There's a bit of bonding that I have totally missed out on.

So, be careful what you wish for...

• Like 1

Disclaimer here - I was you. I'm a little older than most of the people at my service, by a few years. When I started here and would listen to the stories of the hazing, I would just cringe, mostly because I feel I am too old for these shenanigans. Now, I didn't come in saying "please don't do that to me", I did verbalize how childish I thought that was. Upside...at the same time I was a cadet, there was also a 20yo EMT going through the hiring process as well. And he gladly accepted the hazing.

Downside...I'm a little on the outside of the "family" and he is right in the middle of it. I wish now I had kept my mouth shut and let whatever was to come, come. There's a bit of bonding that I have totally missed out on.

So, be careful what you wish for...

There is a huge difference between a joke in good taste and hazing. I think joking and appropriate pranks are part of people that spend too much time together. I would never attempt against someone's integrity or standing before his peers but we can always poke a little fun and build stronger relationships. You probably did the right thing. There are some of those yahoos in my service that I want to keep at arms distance. I rather be respected than loved every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Some of them I wish I had never met.

We dont "haze" in the company I work for. That being said, most of our new hires are brand new EMT's that have never worked EMS before. So we, for the most part, let them settle in, get to know us for awhile and then...its game on LOL. Pranks and jokes help us keep our sanity. We do have rules where pranks are concerned though. For instance we never ever ever prank someones car...but we will duct tape thier sleeping bag together with about a mile of duct tape or put saran wrap between the toilet seat and bowl.

Let's face it. THis job takes its toll on us. It's stressful both physically and mentally. Most of our family's dont understand why we do this...so we let off steam with our "other" family. Whether its jokes and pranks or crying on thier shoulder. We have to have an outlet for what we see and what our job entails. We would burn out quickly if we didnt. This job aint for sissies thats for sure.

I got the feeling that he's not talking about good natured pranks, but the bullshit, "I had to be humiliated in order to participate so you will be too" crap.

I'm with you Brother. There is a certain amount of foolishness that comes with getting to know each other, I think that's why guys are so famous for insulting each other. It does two things, first, allows us to see how the other responds..sort of a litmus test for where we're at. And also says, " I trust you to be able to take this in the spirit intended", meant as a compliment.

Making a new person uncomfortable is inexcusable and counter productive in my opinion. Having a little bit of fun to include them in the "I don't have to tip toe around you' group expected and healthy more than likely.

Good post man! But watch your presentation, ok? People only have the way that you present yourself in text here to judge and get to know you by...make sure you take an extra minute to make a good impression.

Good to have you...

Dwayne

ohhh come on i miss the old days of nitro paste on the toilet seat or lasix in the coffee .. LOL (not)

I am the new guy at the station with only two months in at this station. Most of the people at this sation have been there for the better part of five years or more. Most of the part time staff have been friendly and helpful but there is always the select few who choose to be the hard ass! I have not been " hazed " but I I welcome it if that is what is going to happen at some point. Of course as long as it is in good fun as I like a joke as much as the next person but sure hope they can handle it when I give it back at some point!

I do wish we as paramedics would treat each other with a little more respect at times and help mold new medics like myself. I know when I am working with a new person at the station I have not met yet I always introduce myself and give them a brief run down on my history of being in the EMS service. Some medics ask questions or say " Oh that is fine that you don't have much experience as we work as a team" When others have made comments like " Oh thats nice or don't even speak to me". That makes it for along shift.

The approach I take at being the new guy is I have to earn respect and trust and that is going to take time.

I feel some paramedics forget where they started and what it is like to be a new person at a station. It is very nerve racking being new and making sure you do a good job on each and every call. As the new person I am going to be judged on our preformance and I would be a fool to think that the other paramedics have not talked about me after working a shift with me to other paramedics in the station.

I do my best to always do a good job either as the attendant or driver and ask questions if I don't know something or bounce ideas off each other as to what might be wrong with the patient or the best way to extricate a patient out of a vehicle.

One day I will not be the new guy and I will always remember where I started, as well I am always going to greet any new person with the respect they deserve and make them feel welcomed!

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.